Chapter 1

"Dad?" A young girl called as she wandered through the empty house and into the garage below.

The child had just recently moved in with her father after her mother passed away from an unknown illness. Only five years old, the young girl quickly found that her father was always hiding somewhere either inside the home or in the large separated garage that stood about a hundred feet in front of their house. The home itself was spacious, with the lower level being a garage and the upper level being the living space. Venturing into the garage below, the child walked passed two vehicles before hearing a soft click near the back of the large room.

"Dad?" She called again as she peeked from the front of a large Chevrolet Pickup Truck.

"Elizabeth, what are you doing down here?" The man smiled as he knelt in front of his daughter.

"I've been looking for you. You said that you were going to show me something really cool today." Elizabeth smiled sheepishly.

"I did, didn't I? Well, we are going on a small errand together into the city first." Her father grinned as he ruffled her hair and ushered her into the truck.

"What are we getting?" She asked as she buckled her seat belt.

"A few parts for a few different things." He vaguely answered before pulling out of the garage.

The ride to Mission City took about an hour, as they lived in a remote part of the Valley of Fire. Her father owned a repair shop named Ben's Mechanics, which provides heavy discounts to military personnel and veterans since he is also a veteran. So, Elizabeth naturally assumed that they were going into the city to obtain vehicle parts, which she would have been half correct. Arriving into the city, they stopped at a mechanics shop where the two stepped out of the truck and ventured inside. Glancing around the large store, Elizabeth took notice of the many tools and car parts that littered around the floor and shelving.

"Witwicky! I thought you weren't due here for another two days!" A tall olive-skinned man shouted as he bounded to the front of the store.

"Hey Raj! Today is the seventeenth, isn't it? And please call me, Ben." Elizabeth's father chuckled as he shook hands with the man before him.

"Oh, it is the seventeenth today! Well good thing our shipments always come on-time. Everything is already loaded up on pallets and ready for pickup. Would you like for me to get it all loaded onto your truck?" Raj grinned as he rubbed the nape of his neck.

"That would be great! While you do that, I'm going to take Elizabeth across the street." Ben smiled as he patted the young girl's head.

"Of course! Everything will be all ready to go by the time you get back." Raj waved as he briskly made his way into the back.

Grabbing Elizabeth by the hand, Ben lead her outside and across the street. Looking around the busy streets, she barely registered that she had walked into a gun store with her father. The two walked around aimlessly for a few minutes before Ben approached the register and slid a small piece of paper towards the cashier. A few moments later, that same cashier handed over a fairly large box before tipping his hat at Elizabeth who remained silent during the encounter. Making their way back across the street, Elizabeth climbed back into the backseat of the truck while Ben placed the box of items in the passenger seat. Giving Raj a wave, Ben pulled out of the small lot and began driving back home.

"So, what all did we get today?" Elizabeth questioned as she twisted in her seat to see the bed of the truck.

"We have a few engines, an alternator, carburetor and some other car parts." Ben stated as he glanced at the rear mirror to see his daughter.