Chapter 14

Several weeks had passed, and Elizabeth's anxiety had begun to skyrocket. Dino hadn't returned to the barn, and she was beginning to get tired of eating the canned goods she happened to find in the attic. Figuring it was finally time to leave the barn, she hoisted the hunting rifle and the shotgun over her shoulder while also grabbing the sack of clothes and tools. Quietly opening the door to the barn, she looked around the entrance before hauling herself and her belongings into the tall grass. Taking one final look at the giant red barn, Elizabeth clenched her hand around the small strap of the bags before breathing a long sigh. Her heart was pounding as she got further from the barn, but she knew that she couldn't stay there forever. Reaching the small pathway that she had found weeks ago, she started making her way down the overgrown path in hopes of finding somewhere else that could sustain her for the moment. She had been walking for several miles before she came across the first few signs of human life. Ahead of her was a water tower and power poles, which alerted her to the town that she was getting ready to come upon. At first she was feeling anxious as she came close, but once she finally found the town, she realized that it wasn't as large as she was initially expecting. The town only seemed to have one main road, and was set up with shops lining that road. Everything looked like it was straight out of an old western movie as she entered the rundown town. It was late in the evening and no one was out and about, so she had the freedom to roam around and look at the different shops without feeling like she was being watched. However, as she walked from shop to shop, she realized that most of these stores were permanently closed. Most of the buildings seemed to be completely empty, but there were a few that still had product inside. This little town only had a single clothing, grocery, and hunting shop, which in a town like this was all it really needed. Reaching the end of the road, she looked out at the farmlands that stretched for miles upon miles. Her feet was beginning to hurt from all of the walking, and fatigue was beginning to set in as she visualized her upcoming journey.

"What are you doing out here in the middle of the night, young lady?" An old voice suddenly spoke from behind.

"I'm sorry, I was just passing through." Elizabeth squeaked as she spun on her heel to meet gazes with the man behind her.

"No, no, I apologize for startling you. But, what are you doing out so late?" The old man smiled warmly.

"I, uhm, lost my friend while we were traveling and I'm trying find them." She wearily answered.

"Oh my, that's unfortunate. Come with me, it's dangerous out here at night. Perhaps I can help you find your friend in the morning." The man beckoned as he turned around and started to head back into the town.

"Thank you for your concern and hospitality, but I really do have to get going. And besides, I do have the means to protect myself." Elizabeth smiled as she adjusted the two guns on her shoulder.

"Don't get me wrong, little lady, but I don't doubt that you can shoot. It's just that at night this place becomes dangerous. Those guns won't help you." He frowned as he watched the woman.

"I see. Well, thank you." She grimaced as she slowly began to follow him.

The man led her through the small town and towards the one and only hunting shop. Unlocking the door, he stepped inside and waited for her to step inside. The moment she was through the door, the light flickered on and allowed for her to take a good look at the guns and bows that were showcased on the walls. At first she was in awe at the sheer amount of weapons and equipment that the man had, but then her awe turned into confusion. Moving towards the back of the store, she recognized a few of the guns that were displayed behind the glass. The entire back wall was encased in glass with roughly twenty guns, ranging from pistols to rifles.

"Those are from a dear friend of mine's daughter. She went missing some time ago, and I was able to get a bunch of her belongings before her home was seized." The man sighed as he stepped up beside her.