Chapter 9

Moments after impact, she could hear Collins' groan of pain before lifting himself off of her.

"Are you okay?" He breathed as he unbuckled his lap belt.

"I think so." She groaned before sitting up and removing her own belt.

"Then get up. We need to get off the plane and assess the damage." Collins ordered as he stood up and moved to stand in the isle.

Giving a strained nod, Elizabeth shakily stood to her feet and moved to follow him. However, she stopped and began to wrestle open the last overhead compartment to grab her tools.

"Is that really necessary?" The man questioned in confusion.

"Yes, these tools are my livelihood. I can't just leave them behind." Elizabeth frowned as she clutched the bag to her chest.

"Whatever, let's just get out of here." He grumbled as he moved into the middle part of the plane.

Stepping past the cloth barrier between the back of the plane and the middle, Elizabeth's eyes widened in horror. It seemed that no one had survived the crash. The bodies of men, women, and children were sprawled all around the inside of the plane. The several soldiers that Elizabeth had thought about were there too. Bile started to rise up in her throat, and she couldn't help but rush over to side and empty out the contents of her stomach. Collins was standing just before his fallen comrades with a saddened expression before turning to check on the vomiting woman.

"I'm sorry that you had to see all this." He mumbled as he pulled some of her hair back and rubbed her back.

"I just wasn't ready for this." Her voice shook as tears started to fall from her eyes.

"I know, but we can't stay here. You saw what was out there, didn't you? There's no way this was an accident." Collins frowned as he gently led her out of the plane.

"Yeah, it was some sort of birdlike creature. I'm assuming it was a Decepticon. Wait, it looked right at me. Was I it's target?" Elizabeth gasped as she turned to look at the soldier.

"You could be, and if you are, then we really need to get moving." He spoke quickly before taking her hand heading away from the crash.

Glancing around the wreckage, Elizabeth noticed that the plane had leveled an area that had been primarily trees. Nothing manmade anywhere in sight, she sighed in relief when she realized that no one outside of the plane was hurt. Feeling Collin tugging on her a little harder, she picked up her pace to keep up with him as he weaved around the trees. Her bag was heavy on her shoulder, and her lungs already felt like they were burning as they ran through the dense forest. After they had gotten a considerable distance from the crash site, Collins finally slowed to stop and released her hand. Hunching forward and placing her hands on her knees, Elizabeth wheezed as she tried to regain her breathing before glancing up to the huffing male in front of her. His hands were folded behind his head and he stood straight up with his knees slightly bent. He was obviously in better shape than she was, since he wasn't dying from a lack of oxygen after all that running. Sadly, he only gave her a few minutes to catch her breath before setting off again. Coming out of the dense trees, Elizabeth took in the sight of flat lands that stretched on for miles. Unsure if it was really safe to leave the cover of the trees, she watched Collins as he weighed their options. Frowning in aggravation, he motioned for her to follow him and took off across the field. Her anxiety was starting build when they finally came across a driving path.

"We just need to follow the tracks. Once we make it to a town, we should be fine." Collins sighed as he pointed ahead of them.

Nodding in agreement, Elizabeth quickly followed after the man down the flattened tracks. Finally hitting a fork in the path, the two glance both directions before noticing the end of a street to their right. Relief was flooding through their veins as they quickly made their way down the grassy path and towards the gravel road. Stepping foot on the gravel, the two looked down the street in exasperation before walking forward in the direction that the road was going. Finally making it to the end of the road, they had reached asphalt that stretched in both directions. The two turned on the highway and started walking in hopes of coming across someone that was driving. They could really use a ride, and it didn't matter what type of vehicle it was. Walking several miles took them forever as their pace had slowed and there wasn't a single soul in sight. It wasn't until about another hour later that sirens could be heard in the distance. A smile donned on Collins' face as the blinking blue and white lights came into view, however, his smile faltered when he noticed the speed in which the vehicle was moving.