Chapter 2

As flight 828 evens off and the lights flicker back on, Ben and Mick wait a few seconds to get their breathing back in order from their 'certain doom'. Once their breathing is in order, Mick removes her mask before removing Lexa's. Feeling Lexa shake as the pilots get their control over their plane, Mick pulls Lexa's shaking body into a hug.

"We're safe now, Lexa." Mick whispers into Lexa's brunette hair. Feeling Lexa nod against her, Mick continues to reassure the little six-year-old, along with herself.

As they see the city lights a good hour later, at the tail end of their flight, the captain announces that they must take a detour, making everyone confused. Not knowing what is happening, Mick looks to her brother who is looking right back at her, equally confused. By the time they land on the tarmac, Mick and Ben both hold Lexa and Cal close as the flashing lights from emergency vehicles, both adults and Cal are divided to alarm and amazed. Well, alarm are Ben and Mick, but amazed is Cal for sure. Looking down at Lexa, Mick is worried seeing the fear in Lexa's facial expression.

Unbuckling as everyone does so, Mick grabs Lexa's backpack and slips it on the starved looking girl. When it is their turn to get off the plane, Ben then Cal slides down then it's Lexa and Mick. As Ben holds Lexa close along with Cal, Mick then picks up the shaking girl. Looking at the sight, Mick knows that Lexa is terrified, and Mick is as well.

Tuning out as the passengers all freak out and shout their concerns to the authorities, Mick stands close to Ben and Cal.

"You all were missing and presumed dead for five and a half years." A dark skin man shouts over top of the concerned passengers.

"Is this a prank gone wrong?" Cal asks weakly as they head inside the quarantine section of the airport where everything is set up and ready to go. Confused about how quickly the NSA and other authorities worked together to get it all set up, is beyond shocking, "How am I still alive?"

"No time passed for us." Mick answers while they check in to the sleeping and eating area that is set up.

"Excuse me, Michaela Stone?" One of the agents call out interrupting the conversation.

"Yes?" Mick stops and turns around.

"What is Lexa's last name?"

"I'm not too sure." Mick admits, "She's from Jamaica."

"Clarksan." Lexa whispers in Mick's ear slowly.

"Lexa Clarksan." Mick corrects her previous answer.

"Ah, yes." The man nods flipping through his stack of files, "She's six."

"Yes." Mick agrees.

"That's good. Take her inside." As the man walks away, Mick smiles before walking through the crowded area in search for Cal and Ben. Finding them in the corner with two cots, Cal is laying on one and Ben is on the other. Reaching them, Ben gets up and allows Mick to sit down with Lexa. As Ben sits down on the corner of the cot that Cal is on, Lexa lays down shivering. Removing her sweater, Mick slips on her jacket and covers Lexa in her sweater to keep Lexa warm.

Usually, Mick would cover her niece or nephew with her jacket, but since the sweater is warmer, she decided to give the warmer clothing to Lexa to use. Hearing a soft sigh escape from the little girl, Lexa shifts closer to Mick and uses Mick's lap as a pillow.

"You would make a great mom, Mick." Ben whispers as Lexa hugs Mick's warm sweater closer.

"Lexa makes it so simple." Mick smiles as she strokes Lexa's hair out of Lexa's face.

"True." Ben smiles, "She's unique."

"She is, I agree."

"Have you spoken to Jared?"