Chapter 10

After Cal's treatment, Cal walks out with a frown. Knowing he is exhausted and saw the argument take place, Lexa steps up and tries to distract him.

"Hi Cal." Lexa greets the older boy, "How are you feeling?"

"Hey Lexa, I'm okay. Just tired." Cal admits, "I also want my things back, but I know nothing will be the same. Where did dad go?"

"Ben went to get your things back with Olive. Not everything I guess, just the important things." Lexa reveals on behalf of Grace and Mick. Seeing Cal's eyes light up, Lexa smiles shyly. Before everyone could blink, Cal steps forward and hugs Lexa in excitement. Hugging him back, Lexa did flinch but returned it anyways.

Smiling proud at Lexa's reaction, Mick knows for a fact they all consider her family and a friend, even her and Ben's dad may agree. As the hug ends, Cal dives into Grace's arms then Mick's.

"Thank you." Cal whispers finally even though the hugs said enough.

"Let's head out to go home and see if they beat us there." Grace offers.

"Okay." Cal breathes, "Only if Auntie Mick and Lexa can come?" Before anyone could blink, Mick's phone starts to ring. Reading the calling I.D., Mick answers while holding Lexa's hand.

"Michaela Stone." Mick replies to dispatch of the police department, "Yes. I'm nearby with family and off duty. Yes, I can meet answering officers there." Hanging up the call, Mick sighs, "Can you take care of Lex while I pick up two witnesses that needs to come to the station tomorrow?" Looking at her sister-in-law, Mick smiles nervously as Grace agrees.

"Fill us in, in the car." Grace states with Mick agreeing.

***

After filling in on who she is to pick up – Olive and Ben, at the storage unit. After getting dropped off at the scene, Mick walks through showing her badge and loaded weapon since she is back at being a detective. Spotting Ben and Olive with Cal's things, Mick authorizes that the box in Olive's hands has no stolen jewellery so it can go with them. By around nine at night, due to the station wanting to ask further questions, Mick pulls up to the house.

Walking into the house after Olive and Ben, Mick smiles seeing her angel half asleep and is cuddled up between Grace and Cal watching Cal's tablet. When hearing the door close, Lexa looks up slightly alert and immediately reaches out to Mick. Walking over to the tiny angel, Mick picks her up and sits down on the armchair.

"How was she?" Mick whispers to Grace while Lexa cuddles further into her.

"She did good. We had McDonald's takeout for dinner. She ate her nuggets and yogurt without any issues. She had a pop and ate most of her fries." Grace explains.

"She's still adjusting." Mick concludes sadly.

"I agree. I offered her a bite of my hamburger, which she tried and wasn't fond of." Watching Cal look through the box that Olive rescued for him five years ago, in Olive's and Grace's timeline, Mick smiles at him hugging the life out of Art – his stuff dragon.

"Would you like to meet Art?" Cal offers Lexa as he slowly stands up, "He loves hugs." As Lexa slowly nods, Cal walks closer and passes her Art. Watching Lexa look at him curiously, she then smiles and gives Art a hug.

"Cute." Lexa struggles to say the word before passing Art carefully back to Cal.

"He is. Maybe Auntie Mick could take us to the toy store to find you a stuffy." Olive offers.

"Of course, I would." Mick agrees, "After all, I found Cal his Art the dragon, and I found you Olive – Gator the incredible."

"Gator?" Lexa asks puzzled.

"My stuffy Gator is a unicorn that I still love after fifteen years of having her." Olive admits.

"Cute." Lexa smiles speaking more clearer this time.

Setting up plans for that weekend, two days away, Mick agrees to pick up Cal and Olive to go shopping for a stuffy for Lexa. As the news plays on the TV, it shows one of the passengers speaking up from what Vance told them not to do. As everyone falls silent, Grace turns to Ben in shock.

"Auntie Mick, you and Lexa are sleeping over tonight, please?" Cal begs, "I also need to talk to you both. Dad already saw it." Confused beyond belief, Olive and Grace agree so Ben can fill them in.

Letting Cal lead the way, Lexa follows Cal while staying close to Mick. In the basement, Lexa sits down on the bed staring at the pillow on the armchair.

"That was my mom's favourite verse in the bible." Mick admits joining Lexa on the bed. Meeting Lexa's confused look, Mick explains, "It's a book about faith and beliefs."

"Pretty." Lexa nods looking about at the pillow.

"I agree. Mom was always good at making them." Taking in Cal's worried look, Mick interrupts his thought process, "So, Calamander, what did you want to show us?"

"Uhm," Cal hesitates before sitting down on the armchair with his sketch book, "I not only hear, but see when I'm dreaming about what the voices want solved. Dad asked me to draw them, and he can help me solve them or at least figure out what might happen."

"Like a map." Mick nods in understanding, "Lexa hears them like I do. I should find a way to help her communicate what she hears or sees."

"Mom and Olive might get part truths, but if I share this, could you help me figure out what they mean?"

"Of course. You're my nephew and family. Only in return, can you and Olive help me with Lexa's voices?"

"I'd like that." Cal smiles before opening his sketch book. Finding the correct drawing, Cal turns it so mainly Mick can see. In the drawing it's a list of people's faces or potential names with red exes across certain people or names.

"Bad people." Lexa whimpers looking at the shadow figures at the front half of the picture.

"Targets." Mick whispers, "The passengers are targets." Mick realizes.

"Dad thinks so too." Cal agrees.

"When did you draw this?"

"Today." Before another question could form, Mick's phone rings. Staying silent during the phone call, Mick finds out one of the passengers from the news was killed a few hours ago. Hanging up the call from a friend at a different office, Mick stands up before asking them to follow her upstairs.

On the main level, Mick tells Ben one of the passengers have been killed, and it's the news lady.

Thinking about heading out and leaving Lexa until they return Grace nods in understanding.

"She can stay with me, Mick. Go with Ben to do what you need to do." Grace offers.

Kneeling before Lexa, Lexa tackles her with a hug, "I will be back soon. Will you be okay if Grace calls me when you need to hear my voice?"

"Yeah." Lexa sighs sadly, "Safe?"

"You are safe here, Lex. I promise." Mick promises, "I love you, Lexa."

"I love you too, mommy." Lexa whispers startling Mick. Feeling Lexa kiss her cheek, Mick smiles with tears in her eyes.

"I love you so much, Lex, my beautiful angel." Mick whispers testing the waters before kissing Lexa's forehead. "Get some sleep, okay? Ben and I will be back soon."

Feeling Lexa nods tiredly, Mick hugs her tightly.

"I will call or text Grace for updates and everything. I will be back before you know it."

"Okay." Lexa answers sadly, "Be safe."

"We will." Mick nods before she and Ben head out the door. Knowing that Lexa is safe with Grace, Cal and Olive, but Mick's heart still breaks. She wants to be there at the house and bond more with Lexa, over everything else.