Chapter 5

Coming to with a soft gasp, Lexa's eyes snap open in fear of seeing Erik standing in front of her. Looking around confused by the loud beeping and the lights, Lexa spots a familiar face that causes her to remember the night's events.

Opening her mouth to speak, Lexa lets out a whimper as she tries to sit up, but she can't move.

"I see our littlest biter is awake." A woman teases stepping into the room to check vitals and such, "If you promise not to bite anyone else, I will let you go."

Nodding, the woman sighs.

"Can you speak at all?"

Lexa shakes her head sadly.

"Are you mute or something?"

"She can speak, but her mom never taught her or let her go to school." Mick answers tiredly.

"Who are you?"

"Michaela Stone. I am on Lexa's duty for the NYPD." Mick replies. The woman hums before looking back at Lexa.

"Tell her no more biting people then."

"She understands you perfectly." Mick winks at Lexa, "Right, sweetie?"

Lexa nods. Feeling one wrist get freed, the woman releases the other before raising the bed, so Lexa is reclining.

"She's in your hands now, Michaela." The woman states before closing the door slightly and continuing her rounds.

"Sounds all good to me." Mick grins before closing the door fully. Turning back to Lexa, Mick pulls over her chair so she and Lexa can talk freely. Mick already got Lexa's chart copied for her chief, "How are you feeling, sweetheart?"

"Okay." Lexa whispers shyly and exhausted.

"Would you like some apple juice?" Watching Lexa nod, Mick pulls out the apple juice she bought Lexa on her way up a few hours ago. Opening it and adding the straw, Mick brings it over and lets Lexa drink some before setting it on the rolling table, "Now, Lexa, there are two things I wanted to ask you about and to tell you."

Watching the little girl before her nod, Mick smiles as Lexa patiently waits.

"Do you remember how on the plane I brought up the police department I was having trouble with?" Lexa nods, "One of the tasks the officers and detectives are given is to get answers of what happened from the people who were or are in danger. Does that kind of make sense?" Lexa smiles weakly and nods once more, "Well, I was told to get the answers from you verbally even if they are short answers."

"Okay?" Lexa struggles to answer verbally.

"It's so Erik can never hurt you or anyone again. Now, the last thing was, I already planned to see if I can become a guardian of yours. It will take time, but I'm willing to jump through those hoops. What do you think?"

"Guardian?" Lexa stumbles with the term to understand.

"Some adults like that term. But, you know how Ben and Grace are Cal's and Olive's dad and mom?" Lexa nods.

"They are their guardians. Or another term is parents."

"You'd be my new mom?" Lexa asks slowly to understand.

"Only on two choices, the agency and most importantly – yours."

"I like it." Lexa admits shyly.

"There's no wrong answer," Mick starts before absorbing Lexa's answer, "Wait, you like it?" Lexa nods while biting her bottom lip, "Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"You make me so proud and happy, Lex." Mick whispers as she nervously takes Lexa's left hand and with tears in her eyes.