Chapter 8

Arriving to Mick's two-bedroom apartment, Mick helps Lexa out of her car seat before the family head inside. Getting the correct key out that she has been given, Mick leads the way to the elevator. Arriving there, Mick offers Lexa to do the honours of pressing the button. Doing so, Lexa then backs up into Mick before grabbing Mick's hand shyly. Kissing Lexa's head softly, Mick feels Lexa turn slightly to force Mick to embrace her. Happy to do so, the elevator arrives and lets people off. Seeing the crowd, Lexa freezes up but allows the family to board before Mick and Lexa climbs on last.

By the time that they arrive to the second or third floor, Lexa is dizzy and clenches onto Mick terrified.

"It's okay, Lex, we are almost there." Mick whispers before leaning against the wall. Hearing the ding before the elevator stops, Mick helps Lexa off and onto the fourth floor. Letting Ben take the apartment keys from her, Mick immediately picks up the tiny girl who relaxes in her arms and wraps her legs around her waist. Beginning the walk to the apartment, Lexa tucks her face in Mick's neck.

"I couldn't set them free." Lexa whispers causing Mick to freeze mid-step.

"You heard the voice too before the hospital? Back at the junkyard?" Mick whispers back worriedly.

"Yeah." Lexa agrees, "Has Cal had any voices?"

"He gets visions and draws them. Ben told me he rarely shows anyone."

"I failed. I've been ignoring them. I don't understand them."

"Let's talk to Ben about them, okay? We can and will help each other through whatever is happening."

"Okay." Lexa nods weakly.

Arriving in the apartment, Mick closes the door before setting Lexa down on her feet so she can wander around. Watching Lexa look around in curiousness, Mick spots Ben and calls out his name. Letting Lexa go to look around, which she does, Ben approaches Mick.

"Lexa is having these voices and might be having these visions like Cal, you and I." Mick admits catching Ben off guard, softly.

"Shit. What are they?" Ben pounders.

"We are the 'called' like what it says in the bible. You know last night how you found me at our family church?"

"Yes. You brought home a free bible."

"Pastor Victor and I were talking about how you know if you are called upon. Anyways, I think we should just call them 'callings'?" Mick thinks.

"Code name also."

"Exactly. But, Lexa is getting the callings too."

"Auntie Mick?" Cal interrupts walking over with Lexa, Olive and Grace.

"Calamander?" Mick smiles.

"May we show Lexa her room now?" Olive asks excitedly.

"Sure, let's go." Moving further into the apartment, their home, Mick taps on the door across the hall to her bedroom, "This is your room, Lex."

Letting Lexa slowly open her bedroom door, the tiny girl pushes open her door to end up gasping with tears immediately filling her eyes. Her room is painted royal blue along with a double bed next to the wall and a window seat to read books or any activity. The room is identical to Mick's but Mick's is painted red and she has a queen bed. On the ceiling above them are glow in the dark stickers of stars.

"Do you like it?" Olive asks suddenly after Lexa takes it all in. Turning around, Lexa looks for someone in the crowd at her bedroom door. Smiling, Lexa spots Mick and squeezes her way through to her. Immediately picking Lexa up once the said tiny girl reaches her, Lexa wraps her arms around her neck.