Chapter 9

The next morning, Lexa is fast asleep with her head on Mick's lap while Ben is being interviewed about the plane's explosion. Feeling her phone buzz in her pocket, Mick has it on silent through the interview process. Unlocking the screen, Mick finds a text message from Grace.

Where are you, Ben and Lexa? Cal has treatment today.

"Shit." Mick curses before texting back.

Still being interviewed regarding the plane explosion last night. We will fill you in later. What time should we meet at the hospital?

Mick sighs before spotting Grace's reply.

In 2 hours. Please stay safe and arrive in time.

As Ben sits down after his second interview, he sighs deeply.

"Are you allowed to leave?" Mick asks before showing him the conversation between her and Grace.

"Yes, but you and Lexa aren't allowed to leave yet." Ben informs sadly.

"Take the van, Ben. Lex and I will take a taxi to the hospital or your house and meet up there." Mick states, "Grace and Cal need you."

"Excuse me? Are you Cal Stone's dad?" A lady asks, "I'm Saanvi Bahl. I'm a research doctor for cancer patients."

"Yes. I'm Ben Stone, and this is my sister, Michaela. This little sleeping angel is Lexa." Ben introduces.

"How do you know Cal?" Mick wonders.

"I was doing research while in Jamaica when whatever happened to 828 happened. I was lucky enough to upload my research into a cloud, then when we landed the research, I came up with is working. The board was going to turn Cal down, but I threw my cards on the table and threatened to take my research away unless they accept Cal into the program." Saanvi explains.

"Wow, thank you for protecting my nephew and his rights." Mick smiles.

"Thank you, Saanvi." Ben agrees, "You saved my son and giving him the chance to recover."

"Always. Everyone deserves the chance." Saanvi smiles, "Anyways, I wanted to introduce myself."

"Excuse me, what is taking so long?" Mick speaks up to the authorities, "Are you arresting us or detaining us?" Watching Mick accidentally frighten one of the workers, the boss steps out from the interview room.

"Those of you who don't know or remember me, my name is Vance and I'm with the National Securities." Vance starts loudly for everyone to hear, and it causes Lexa to wake up, "Those of you who have given two interviews may leave. But I advise to not speak out about this to anyone, nor your families."

Hearing the immediate start of arguments, Lexa whimpers and tries to make herself smaller. Hearing the whimper, Mick lifts Lexa onto her lap and holds her tightly.

"Ben; Cal and Grace need you; we will stay and catch the bus." Mick mentions in encouragement, "We will meet you there."

"Okay." Ben agrees in a torn voice before hugging his little sister and kisses Lexa's hair sadly, "See you both soon."

"Bye." Lexa whispers weakly into Mick's neck.

"May I join you, Ben? That way you can leave your vehicle with Michaela?" Saanvi interrupts softly, "I did my two interviews already and I'm heading to the hospital anyways."

"Go." Mick agrees before taking the keys from her brother, "Thank you, Saanvi."

Bidding goodbye to them, Mick pulls out her phone along with headphones for Lexa. Plugging them in, she turns on the music and passes Lexa the headphones so she can listen to the music.