Chapter 20

Arriving to the basement with Lexa and a furious yet heartbroken Lourdes, Mick sets Lexa on the stairs and asks her to stay put until the conversation resolves. Nodding, Lexa silently agrees.

"Mick!" Jared greets loudly, causing Lexa to flinch which Mick catches as she turns around.

"Lower your voice please, Jared." Mick speaks up calmly, "You're scaring my daughter."

"Oh, sorry. Sorry, Lexa." Jared frowns as he apologizes.

"How are you doing? Aside from declaring your marriage basically over?"

"I'm fine, the medication the doctors put me on is strong, but other than that. Look, Mick, I'm still in love with you." Jared states taking Mick's hands tightly in his.

"I love you too, but only as a friend. I'm sorry, Jared. I'm not looking to be in a relationship right now. Lexa and family are my top priorities." Mick explains, "I do know this, I won't be able to ask you to wait, because it's too much to ask. I returned the ring and told you why over and over. I was going to break up with you because I couldn't love or forgive myself after Evie. But, with Lexa and all her help, she helped me accept and forgive myself. I'm in a good place now, but it would be unfair to Lourdes to ask you to wait when she loves you more than I ever could."

"But, Mick," Jared starts.

"No." Mick shakes her head as she pulls her hands away, "Just be happy and in love with Lourdes, Jared. Patch things up. Lourdes is my best friend, and so are you. Nothing will ever change that."

"But,"

"I'm sorry, Jared. But, I can't return that love to you. Just let me go." Turning, Mick goes to move towards Lexa, but Jared pulls her back and kisses her. Immediately pulling away, Mick sighs, "Looks like you are trying to destroy our friendship. Leave me alone, Jared. It's good to see you better."

Storming away, Mick picks up Lexa before storming passed Lourdes who saw everything. Gathering Olive and Cal, they head out and Mick drops the twins off at the Stone residence.

***

Arriving to Ben's location, Mick parks the car before hopping out to get Lexa out. Walking into the café together after locking up the SUV, Lexa and Mick holds hands and orders a coffee and a chocolate milk for Lexa. Walking to the booth Ben is at alone, Mick and Lexa join him.

"Hi, Uncle Ben." Lexa speaks softly testing the waters. Catching Ben and Mick off guard, Ben's eyes tear up.

"Hi, my beautiful niece." Ben smiles, "How was your afternoon?"

"Scary." Lexa admits. Before move could be said, Mick's coffee and Lexa's chocolate milk arrives to the table.

Once the waiter drops off their drinks, he leaves to help the next customer.

"I have somewhere to take you, Ben. It's to a friend." Mick reveals as Ben nods.

"I met a podcaster, who specializes with 828. He wants to interview me, and so far, I turned him down." Ben admits with a sigh.

Before Mick could have the chance to reply, Lexa looks at someone in a distance like a deer caught in headlights. Looking in the same direction, Mick spots Lexa's previous guardian – Erik glaring at Lexa.

"I will be right back." Mick whispers before getting to her feet, "Lex, stay with Ben, okay?" Mick suggests softly to her daughter who nods.

Walking over to the man who sexually abused, along with physically, mentally and verbally abused Lexa, Mick pulls out the chair across from him.

"How is my fucked-up granddaughter?" Erik asks in a snarl.

"Not that it is any of your business, but she was doing better until you showed up. How are you out?" Mick snaps.