Chapter 6

Leaving the chief's office, Mick walks towards Jared's desk with her badge attached to her jeans.

"I see you got your badge back." Jared greets, "Good job."

"Thank you." Mick smiles, "Now, Jared, I was going to turn you down. I wasn't ready."

"It's too late, Mick. I'm married now."

"I've noticed." Mick approves pointing to the wedding ring, "Congratulations."

"Thank you. It's been two years."

"Well, that's fast." Mick nods, "For me that is. It feels like it's only been two weeks."

"It's been five years, Mick." Jared snaps.

"For you and everyone else in the world." Mick points out calmly, "Now, I'm going to leave. Chief assigned me to be your partner. I start in a week on Monday. See you then." Leaving for the exit, Mick heads out to go to the agency.

Arriving to the agency just before they go on lunch, Mick walks in and immediately asks to speak with the manager or the director. Mick recently has access back into her bank account where her money that Grace gave back to her, is now. When Mick first found out her account has been closed, she was furious, but she allowed Grace to explain, since Ben had the same reaction. Luckily, their hard-earned money was stored away in Grace's savings and investments, so she gave it all back to them without worry.

"Ms. Stone?" Breaking out of her thoughts, Mick stands up from sitting down waiting for the last few minutes. Walking up to the woman, the woman smiles at her, "I'm Dallas Evans."

"Hello. I'm Michaela Stone." Mick introduces while shaking Dallas's hand, "It's nice to meet you."

"You as well. Would you like to come into my office?"

"Yes please."

Walking together down the hall where children are running around because it's a day off school apparently. Walking into Dallas's office, they sit down after Dallas closes the door.

"What brings you by, Ms. Stone?" Dallas asks.

"Do you know a young girl by the name of Lexa Clarksan?" Mick wonders, "I know her personally."

"I know she was recently put in the system after an incident with her guardian." Dallas admits, "She first came into the system five years ago but was presumed dead."

"I was at the airport with her and on the flight with her. Lexa told me a few times she wants me to take care of her because we have bonded and trust each other." Mick starts off, "Is it possible for me to take her in?"

"Why would you want to take her in, if all she knows is abuse? How would I know this isn't a scam?" Dallas snaps.

"I am not scamming you nor the system. I'm just asking for the chance and respect, to take Lexa in. I'm also a police officer and am willing to jump through the hoops to take her in. She deserves a good home, and I hope I could give it to her. Lexa deserves the world, Mrs. Evans." Mick argues.

"When Lexa comes in, I want to see how you both handle being around each other. Tell me a few personal things about her. And, not what is in her file."

"I can go on and on. Her favourite colour is dark blue. Her favourite current colour that rotates would be red today. Favourite song she heard back on the plane a week or so ago was The Winner Takes It All. It was the most played by the time we landed. Her favourite drink for juices is apple." Dallas raises her hand causing Mick to fall silent.

"Tell me something other than those."

"I know what Erik Clarksan did to her and was there to break into the storage container, where she was locked away." Mick states.