Chapter 7

"How was everyone's day so far?" Mick asks looking mostly at her brother to answer first.

"Good. Lexa and I were colouring and we all played Uno." Ben smiles.

"We did a puzzle together and played a game on my tablet." Cal grins.

"We played Go Fish and tried out the new selfie app I have on my phone. I will send you the pictures." Olive states excitedly, "Lexa is very special."

"That she is." Grace agrees, "She helped me with my catering menu and helped with the design. I'm sorry for treating you wrongly, Mick. You are what Lexa needs in her life."

Feeling tears fill her eyes, Mick allows them to fall.

"I'm on a trial for a week. Then if all runs smoothly, I can be her foster mom." Mick breaks the news before feeling Lexa hug her tightly. Hugging her back along with kissing her hair, both of them allow their tears to fall more freely.

***

Being discharged a few days later, Lexa had a rough night sleeping from all the alarms going off and all of the coded colouring being called. Aside from that, Lexa noticed she only feels safe sleeping with Mick in the room. Waking up in cold sweat the morning of her discharge, Lexa sits up in panic and breathing heavily. Feeling herself immediately wet the bed in her panic, Lexa just realizes what happened too little too late.

"Good morning, Lexa!" A female nurse greets too happy tone of voice. Flinching while not meeting her eyes, Lexa feels like she only wants Mick and no one else, "Michaela Stone is on her way to pick you up. Are you excited?"

Lexa nods as tears fill her eyes.

"You are scared of her, aren't you? Do you want to go back home? To Jamaica?" The woman rambles as she writes things down.

"No." Lexa whimpers as her voice shakes.

"I'm sure you are. You will find a nice couple to take you in. Or, live on the streets." The woman ignores Lexa.

"No." Lexa argues as more tears fall.

"The orphanage is good for children like you."

"Stop."

As the nurse continues on and on, completely ignoring Lexa and her tears, the woman finally removes the IV from her hand without warning.

"Are you okay?" The woman asks innocently.

"No." Lexa mumbles.

"Speak clearer when you speak, Lexa." The nurse snaps while frowning, "Let's get you out of bed." On edge and terrified, Lexa nods fearfully. Letting the nurse bandage her head before pulling back the blankets.

Hearing the nurse sigh in annoyance and anger, Lexa whimpers sadly and scared.

"I'm sorry." Lexa apologizes.

"You are old enough to not pee in bed, aren't you?!" The nurse blows up, "Get cleaned up and have a fucking shower, you stupid idiot!"

"I'm sorry." Lexa cries.

"Get up." Weakly getting up, Lexa goes to stand up and take a step when she trips and falls to the ground. Hearing the door open and close through her tears and sobbing, Lexa feels calmness when someone lifts her into their arms. Sobbing into their neck, Lexa hears the person hum.

"Are you okay, Lex?" Mick whispers a lot more focused on Lexa then the nurse. Feeling Lexa tremble as she shakes her head, Mick focuses in on the nurse who keeps glaring at Lexa and her.

Letting Lexa cry in her arms, Mick glares back at the nurse.

"Why are you being a jerk to Lexa and making her cry? She's just a little girl." Mick glares.

"She's a freak and peed the bed, again." The nurse snarls, "Everyone from that plane are freaks."

"So, I'm a freak as well? Thank you." Mick smirks darkly, "As for peeing the bed, so what? I'm sure everyone who went through the trauma she has may have a few times."

"She needs to learn to use the fucking bathroom!"

"Get over yourself or learn more about trauma and put yourself in Lexa's place. You need to learn compassion." Watching the nurse's face turn red, Mick immediately grabs the clothes she bought for Lexa, and carries them into the washroom. Closing and locking the door, Mick then walks over to the shower and turns it on.

By the time after Lexa's shower, Mick helps her to dry off and into her clothes. Running her hand through her hair, Mick untangles the tangled knots gently.

"Ben and I got you a car seat today and helped me to set up my apartment with Grace, Cal and Olive. They are excited for you to see it and your room. Are you ready for this, Lex? I won't be mad or upset if you aren't."

"Home?" Lexa whimpers shyly.

"Our home. Not just mine, but yours." Watching Lexa start to cry again, the little girl leans into Mick holding her arms up. Gently lifting Lexa up, Mick holds her close and kisses her cheek.

***

Arriving to the Stone's house, Mick honks the horn to alert the family that they have arrived. Waiting for her brother, sister-in-law, niece and nephew to come out, Mick picks up the call coming in, on Bluetooth.

"Michaela Stone, where have you been?" Lourdes speaks returning Mick's phone call.

"I've been busy, Lourdes. How are you?" Mick answers calmly.

"I'm good. Jared and I are good except for a few fights. Nothing major."

"Ah, makes sense." Mick chuckles, "He never told me he married you, but I'm happy for you both."

"Oh shit, I'm sorry Michaela. I thought he told you."

"He didn't, nor took my side in account. It feels like," Lourdes cuts Mick off.

"It's only been two weeks, Mick. For you anyways. Jared and I both keep forgetting that and that the world is five years ahead for you and everyone now."

"Exactly. Before Jamaica, mom and everyone loves Jared, but I was confused if my love for him is a marriage love or not. At the airport before the plane, I was writing an email to myself to put my thoughts and feelings into words. The conclusion is – friend. Not just friend, family. Not in love." Mick admits, "I'm sorry to unload all of this on you Lourdes, but you deserve him and he deserves you."

Hearing a sniffle on the other end of the call, Mick smiles looking in the rearview mirror at her sleeping little angel.

"Thank you." Lourdes finally answers, "Would you be open into a group dinner? Like old times?"

"As long as I can bring a plus one, count us in."

"May I ask who the plus one is first?"

"I'm in the process to foster a little girl who is terrified of the world. Her name is Lexa. We met in Jamaica and were on 828."

"Wow, that's truly amazing! I won't say anything to Jared."

"Thank you. Anyways, the family and I are going to go to the apartment and meet dad for a family dinner tonight. May we speak later?"

"Of course. Have a great day and send my love to the family. Also, could you send a photo of Lexa to me?"

"Sure. Love you."

"Love you too. Bye."

"Bye."

Once the call ends, the family climbs into the small SUV, one by one.

"We saw you talking, and Lexa is asleep so we assumed it was a phone call." Grace smiles.

"That's correct. I was talking with Lourdes." Mick explains before asking if they are ready to leave.