Chapter Four : Despair

"SURI!!!" Laizard screamed with complete horror and frustration as she watched her child get shot down from the air by a lava rock and crash into the ocean.

Laizard panics and tries to jump in after them, but she has a brief memory of herself nearly drowning in the past because she couldn't swim, and that memory holds her back.

Instead, Volare instinctively jumps into the water after Suri.

"Volare, no! You dumbass!!" Dominion roared after Volare dived into the water.

Laizard's eyes widened with fright as she watched Volare begin to malfunction and struggle in the water. His body was starting to stutter.

"|-|-€L₽!" Volare's voice glitched, almost similar to Beta's voice, as the water was likely rushing through his gears, including his voice box.

No! I can't lose him too!

Fortunately, Volare was being carried out of the water by Eldoris, who arrived just in time.

"We gotta get to safety, quick!" The Epic Water Wubbox called out while holding a subtly twitching, half-conscious Volare.

Eldoris led everyone to the terrain border between Air and Earth Island. Once there, he gently put Volare down, and Laizard immediately rushed to his side. Volare was still twitching while Laizard cried with her face on his chest.

"Why did he dive into the water like that?" Eldoris blinked.

"He- He..." Laizard couldn't even get the words out.

"Out of my way!" Dominion snarled as he pushed Laizard aside to check on his nearly-drowned brother.

"Hey!" Laizard barked. She proceeded to push Dominion aside as well.

Dominion narrowed his glare and shoved Laizard; this time, it felt personal.

"That's my brother who's hurt, you prick!"

"And he's my partner!" Laizard spat. "I'm just as worried as you are, asshole!"

"Guys-" Eldoris tried to defuse the issue.

"I've known Volare way longer than you have! You are nowhere near being as worried as me! Now step aside!"

Are you freaking kidding me?

Laizard hissed. She wasn't exactly thinking clearly, as she was blinded by a grieving rage. She brings up her large claws and cuts Dominion's torso, which was already wounded by the volcano.

"OW! YOU DICK!" Dominion spat as he quickly switched out his normal hand to his drill.

"Woah! Woah! Okay! That is enough!" Eldoris shouted, stepping in between the two and pushing them away from each other. "I don't think Volare would want to wake up to his brother and his partner fighting each other either!"

"Oooo look at me, I'm Laizard! I have two boyfriends, three kids, and such a happy life! But oh, Galvana forbid I let Dominion check on his injured brother because I just want him all to myself!" Dominion rambled on in a mocking tone, seemingly pretending to be Laizard, which really boils her blood.

"Dominion! I said that is enough." Eldoris spat. "Now you just sound petty."

"I'm not petty! I'm frustrated!" Dominion snarled. "My home is being destroyed and my brother is hurt, but this purple floozy won't let me near him!"

Speak for yourself, garbage truck.

Laizard thought as she snorted angrily and she turned away from the two Wubboxes. She kneeled down beside Volare again and brushed her fur against his body as she sobbed silently.

Please don't let me lose him too! He literally changed my life!!

"Now, about what I asked earlier, why did he just dive into the water like that??" Eldoris asked again.

"...Suri got shot down from the sky by the volcano and Volare tried diving in after them like an idiot!" Dominion exclaimed.

"Wai- SURI IS HURT?" Eldoris shouted. "Where are they?!"

"They're dead, El." Dominion replied simply.

"...W... What?"

"There's no way they could've survived based on what I saw."

No... NO! WHY? WHY DO ALL OF MY CHILDREN ALWAYS DIE? FIRST ZOSA, NOW SURI! ARE SKITTER AND QUAKE NEX- Wait... DID ELDORIS JUST LEAVE THOSE TWO ALONE?

"What about Quake and Skitter, Eldoris?! Did you just leave them there!" Laizard sneered as she stood up and faced Eldoris with an unhappy glare.

"No! I told them to- Oh." Eldoris gulped.

"You, left, them, alone?"

"Listen, I wasn't thinking because I was focused on trying to catch Suri...!" Eldoris choked on his own words.

"Well- then- just- GAH!" Laizard let out a frustrated shout. "Just go away! Leave me alone!"

"Hell if I'm leaving you alone with my brother!" Dominion snarled.

Eldoris placed a hand on his younger brother's shoulder.

"Dominion, let it go." He said calmly.

"But-"

"Trust me, she'd never hurt Volare."

"But I-"

"Dominion."

"FINE!"

Dominion swatted Eldoris' hand away from his shoulder and ran a safe path through Earth Island in order to get to Fire Haven without getting overpowered by the volcano.

Finally, he's gone...

Laizard sighed and continued to whimper beside Volare, who was still merely twitching.

"Do you want me to go too?" Eldoris asked.

Laizard thought for a moment before shaking her head.

"Stay, please."

"Okay."

Eldoris kneeled down beside Laizard, wrapping an arm around her shoulder to offer some emotional support. Laizard wept silently while Eldoris pulled her head gently and placed it on his chest.

Laizard wrapped an arm around Eldoris and placed her other paw onto Volare's chest, until she felt him begin to shake because he started to cough. She perked her head up and saw Volare open his eyes barely. He held onto Laizard weakly.

"...That was... stupid..." He rasped.

"Shhh." Laizard hushed him softly, moving a paw to his shoulder.

"You a'right, Volare?" Eldoris asked while looking over Laizard's shoulder.

"...I couldn't save them..." Volare whimpered with guilt.

"It's alright, nobody could." Eldoris sighed.

Laizard began to cry more at the thought of her child being dead. Why can't she just keep her children alive? She cupped her head into her paws, sobbing silently. She then felt Eldoris hug her from behind with his head pressed against her back. She could tell his body was shivering and he was silently sobbing too.

Volare slowly sat up and placed his hand on her arm to give some support, before hugging her tightly, wailing louder than the both of them.

I don't know how I can ever recover from this.