Chapter Nine : Betrayed

"I'm worried for Laizard." Volare sighed, hugging his brother's arm.

"Me too." Eldoris agreed.

"I just... hope she's okay."

"Me too." Eldoris said again.

There was a long pause. Volare sat down and hugged his knees, with his wings shielding him from the world. He silently wept from all of the emotional pain he's been through for the past few days.

He felt Eldoris' hand on his shoulder, where Volare then leans his head on his brother's hand, sobbing a little more because of how emotional he got to have gained support from a loved one aside from Laizard, and especially from a family member, considering how his brothers neglected him for a very long time.

"It's gonna be okay, we can get through this." Eldoris murmured, patting Volare's shoulder.

"I know..." Volare sighed.

Suddenly, there is a new scent in the air, and it's not a very pleasant scent. Eldoris seems to notice this too, as he raises his head up in the air, where his eyes quickly widened when he looks ahead.

Worried, Volare asks:

"What's wrong? What's that smell?"

Eldoris' voice is incredibly shaky when he responds.

"F... F-Fire..."

"Fire!? Where?!" Volare gasps, quickly standing up.

Eldoris doesn't verbally respond, for it seems like he's too shocked to even speak. He slowly and shakily lifts up his hand and points in the direction of where Laizard was last seen, where there is now a trail of fire leading to the direction of Plant Island.

"Oh my Galvana." Volare mutters. His pupils shrink with terror.

Had... had Laizard done this? Or did something, or someone, get to her... but who else on this island could possess the power of flames like that? This is bad. And- it's heading toward Plant Island! If there's fire on Plant Island, it will quickly spread, and who knows what'll happen from there!

Volare and Eldoris panic, and Volare immediately spreads out his wings, taking off into the sky and he followed the trail of fire.

"Try to extinguish as much fire as possible, El! I'm going to find where it ends!" Volare calls out to his brother before increasing in speed of his flight, not bothering to wait for a response from Eldoris.

Volare is panting while he's flying, all of the anxiety stored in his core is really just too much. Why is there a fire? When was there a fire? How is there a fire? Where is Laizard? Is she responsible for this??

Too many questions flooded in his mind. He shakes his head to get rid of the thoughts and flies as fast as he possibly ever could, he feels like he's going 120 MPH; and maybe he is, based on how anxious yet determined he is to get to Plant Island in time.

Eventually, after about ten minutes or less, Volare begins to see the trees of Plant Island, and slows down his flight so he doesn't go crashing into the chaos. He halts once he reaches his destination, hovering in the air, and his eyes widen once more in complete horror of what he sees.

The island is just beginning to be set into flames.

Volare's body trembles as he fears for the safety of the monsters, and he's looking around rapidly for any source of the fire, and that's when he sees where the fire continues. Someone is setting the entire island on fire. Volare takes a closer look at the perpetrator and notices the purple silhouette of Laizard.

Volare sharply gasps as tears rush out of his eyes. How could Laizard be doing this?

Volare begins to fly in Laizard's direction, rapidly flapping his metallic wings to pick up as much speed as possible to stop her quickly.

"LAIZARD! NO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?"

He then barrels into Laizard from the air, causing them both to crash onto the ground in the middle of Plant Island, while the fire is wildly spreading at the second.

Laizard seemingly recovers faster than Volare does, and she pins him to the ground with a hostile look. When she recognizes the Epic Air Wubbox, her eyes widen with shock and confusion.

Volare takes the opportunity and quickly reaches his arms up at her and he pulls her down to the ground now, but still being careful with not hurting her. He holds her down with his arms and wings.

"Laiz! What are you doing? What has gotten into you?!"

Laizard doesn't respond with words. She's pissed. She wiggles in his grasp, demanding to be let go through her hisses and snarls.

"Please, calm down, hun! I'm not trying to hurt you!" Volare says this with a shaky voice. He doesn't want Laizard to see him as an enemy. "But what are you doing?! You're destroying the island!"

One of Laizard's legs get free from Volare's wing and she bucks him in the chest, causing him to rear back and let her go because of the sudden pain in his torso.

"Ow! Laizard?!"

Before Volare could say anything further, Laizard pounces on him, holding him down by the neck with her powerful paws. Volare struggles in her hold, as he chokes a little because of how firm Laizard's paw is gripped to his neck. He wants to kick her off, but he doesn't want to hurt her at the same time.

Laizard then digs her claws into Volare's shoulders, forcing a pained shout from the Epic Air Wubbox, and he had to kick her off with his steel talons, which claws Laizard's waist, causing her to squeal with pain, making Volare to immediately regret his defensive action.

"No! I'm so sorry!" Volare whimpered with guilt.

This seems to make Laizard even more enraged, and she pins Volare down again, a little harder this time. Her paws grip onto his neck and she holds him firmly against the ground. Her wings then hold his wings down, and her legs hold down his arms. Volare's legs were free but could not reach the Kraigon anymore.

"Lai... zard.. plea... se!" Volare rasped. He tried to speak, but the strong grip of Laizard's paws on his neck caused him to quietly choke again.

He could see the instability in his love's eyes, she looks almost insane. Veins were showing on her eyeballs, and he's never seen her pupils be so slit thin before.

Laizard then grabs Volare tighter, both paws wrapped around his neck, and she began to fly directly up into the sky.

Volare gasps for air, as Laizard's grip only tightens the more he makes a noise. He can just barely breathe now, and his vision was slowly failing him.

Once they've reached quite a height, Laizard squeezes her grip on Volare's throat while he pathetically squirms in her hold, and she waits until he stops struggling, which doesn't take long at all.

Volare's vision was about to go completely black, and the last thing he saw was Laizard dropping him, and he fell for a short while until he finally hit the ground harshly, knocking him out cold in an instant.