Chapter 14- The Great War

1914
The worst fears of Russian Tsar Nicholas II came to light. The archduke of the Austro-Hungarian throne, Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophie, arrived at Bosnia and Herzegovina to inspect the imperial troops stationed there. However, they were both assassinated in their car by a 19-year-old Serbian revolutionary named Gavrilo Princip. The reason why they wanted the archduke dead was because they feared a power sharing arrangement that would keep the Slavic people in the empire. Tensions between the European powers increased, both taking different positions in the crisis. Russia saw themselves as the Serbians' protectors which caused them and Austro-Hungary to be in a bind. Neither of them wanted to back down or appear weak which led to Austro-Hungary to turn to Germany and declare war on Serbia on July 28.

Eventually on July 30th, Russia's military mobilized and Germany quickly realized they were in a bind as well. Germany didn't want to fight Russia and risk retaliation from Russia's ally France at the same time. It became important for Germany to knock the French military out of the fight before Russia was ready for battle. Then suddenly on August 1st, Germany declared war on Russia, and two days later, they declared war on France. The German forces mobilized on the border of Belgium with the intention of crossing the neutral nation to invade France. Belgium called for help, and on August 4th, Great Britain declared war on Germany.

Many battles were waged and thousands, if not millions, of lives were lost in the conflict. Shockwave and the Decepticons participated on Russia's behalf, while Bumblebee, Hot Rod, the Seekers, and the Autobots on the United Kingdom's behalf. However, neither of the Autobots or Decepticons were all that thrilled to be on the same team in this conflict. In fact, whenever an argument between the two got too heated, Shockwave and Lugnut tried to get their respective teams to stop. Despite their differences, Shockwave and Lugnut had respect for each other.

1917
One day, when Shockwave was making adjustments to his cannon, he was met up by Lugnut. "You don't have the Autobrand," analyzed Shockwave, still making adjustments to his cannon. "None of you Seekers do, yet you stand by the Autobots." Lugnut admitted, "Yes, you're right about that. I just have so many questions. Why do you, some of the Autobots and your Decepticons have only one eye?" Shockwave hesitated for a moment before Lugnut pleaded, "Please, tell me. I have to know. With the war going on and our nations being allies in this conflict, why can't Autobots and Decepticons go together, find the Allspark, and restore Cybertron?" Shockwave faced him and answered, "The Autobots would never leave Earth alone without making it a part of their Imperium. As for the drones for why they have one optic, it is because to they are nothing short of disposable drones that serves only to fulfill a function and not go beyond it for fear of either getting smelted into raw material or Shadowplay." Lugnut blinked, "Shadowplay?" Shockwave explained, "It is a form of my own invention, the Cortical Psychic Patch, to help restore individuality and memories among mechanoid beings like ourselves. It was meant to heal, but Autobot scientists found a way to make it perform the opposite. Make the subjects devoid of any emotions or memories." Lugnut gasped, "They would do that?!" Shockwave nodded as he continued, "As for myself, it is form of... punishment for not staying in line. A barbaric torture from a bygone era. Empurata is the official name for the procedure. They took my hands... and my head." Lugnut was at a loss for words hearing this. "If what you say is true, then why hasn't the Prime the Autobots serve have done anything to stop this?" questioned Lugnut. Shockwave stood up to look at the towering five-eyed Seeker and answered, "Because Optimus Prime advocates for it. He personally watched me go through the torture and dumped me into the Rad Zone, hoping the trauma would break me. If the Autobots find the Allspark and bring it to Optimus, any form of freedom on Cybertron or any other world will be snuffed." Taking all this in, Lugnut turns around and leaves. Shockwave watches the lumbering Seeker go as he walks the opposite direction.

Bumblebee, Hot Rod, Armorhide, Ransack, Kup, Spitfire, Bulldog, Astrotrain, Dreadwing, Fortress, Ramjet, and Nautica were with the Order of the Witwiccans as discussions were being made about finding the Allspark. All of a sudden, Lugnut stormed over as Nautica approached him and asked, "Lugnut, what's wrong? Did the Decepticons say something to you?" Lugnut gritted his metal teeth and pointed at Bumblebee and Hot Rod as he glared, "Is it true?!" The two Autobots looked at each other and Hot Rod asked, "Is what true?" Lugnut shouted, "About your plans of finding the Allspark and enslaving this world?! Torture whom you deem inferior and disposable because their freedoms are a threat?! All in the name of your Prime?!" This made Ransack, Astrotrain, Dreadwing, Ramjet, and Nautica all gasp and stared hard at the Autobots in question. Bumblebee scoffed, "Lemme guess. Shockwave told you? Lemme tell you something, Five-Eyes. Did he tell you the part where the Decepticon leader and his soft-sparked lieutenant killed our original leader and the love of Optimus' life? Or what about the part where the Decepticons were willing to leave Cybertron open for potential enemies and scramble our work infrastructure? Everything was fine and efficient until the Decepticons messed everything up! They're the reason we're at war!" Astrotrain retorted, "From what I've just heard, you Autobots aren't any better!" Nautica went in between them and reasoned, "Stop, please! Look, the Autobots and Decepticons want the Allspark, right? Can't we just take this opportunity to open a dialogue?" Bulldog pushed her aside and snapped, "Dialogue's for the weak and unworthy!" He transformed into a dark blue Mark IV tank with red accents and shot at Lugnut who staggered back a bit before he angrily slammed his massive fist down, creating a massive shockwave that flipped Bulldog in his altmode, Bumblebee, Hot Rod, Armorhide, Kup, Spitfire, and Fortress in midair and onto the ground. Astrotrain, Ransack, Dreadwing, and Ramjet joined with Lugnut as the Autobots and the other Seekers recovered and had a brawl with each other. Nautica felt her spark breaking as she watched her friends, new and old, fight amongst themselves. She gripped onto the sides of her head and squeezed her optics shut, clenching her teeth as she tried to drown out the chaos right in front of her...

Dreadwing was about to punch Fortress in the face until a massive metal foot slammed on the ground, making everyone stop fighting. They all looked up in awe to see that it was none other Nautica, having grown from 50 feet to 140 feet tall in height! Hod Rod went slack jawed and remarked, "She's bigger than Grimlock!" Kup nodded as he explained, "This is her true height. She uses mass shifting to get into the castle."

"Stop it!" shouted Nautica, with her fists shaking. "Stop all of this right now for one cycle! Can't we just stop fighting so we can restore our home world and live in harmony?! Is it so hard to ask for that?!" Dreadwing got up and replied, "I'm sorry, Nautica. But I can't help the Autobots. Not when I now know their true colors." He and Astrotrain left as Ramjet and Ransack soon followed. The Autobots and the other Seekers left in the opposite direction. Lugnut and Nautica faced each other, the brutish mech with a sorrowful expression and the towering femme trying to hold back from crying. "This is all your fault..." quivered Nautica. Lugnut held his head down as he turned away to join with Dreadwing, Astrotrain, Ramjet, and Ransack.