Chapter 20- Boulder In Recession

Colorado River, 1931
President Herbert Hoover and Walter Simmons watched as work began on building a dam at the Boulder Canyon. Over 5,000 workers were employed to build the dam. Working the dam construction meant long days and dangerous work, Temperatures could top 120 degrees Fahrenheit during the day in the summer and drop well below freezing in the winter. The blasting and explosives used during construction as well as the digging and building in desert sand created terrible air quality on site. However, the most challenging task was working around the giant cube that was embedded into the stable ground of which the new secret United States government agency was named after, Sector Seven. Workers were warned of what would happen if any powered machinery came into contact with the metal cube. Despite Simmons' interests in continuing to study it in order to see if it could potentially unlock a new alternative energy source, Hoover leaned in with Theodore Joseph Wells, having witnessed the dangers of the cube itself.

"So, I hear that your daughter is going to be joining Sector Seven," said Hoover, trying to make conversation with Simmons. "Yes," said Simmons begrudgingly. "She insisted on being a field agent. I said no. Honestly, it's the first time I've ever had to agree with Wells." Hoover asked, "You think she's not capable?" Simmons shook his head and answered, "No. Wells worries that Margaret will end up like me. Given what we've both seen at the Colorado River that day, I'm not sure what will happen if she encounters one of them. I personally hope she doesn't, given that she now works at a low level job I gave her." Hoover commented, "Looks to me that you're not going to get her to like you more." Simmons looks at him and replied, "Margaret has and never will like me. She and her mother will never understand the work I do here matters not just the country, but the world, too."

Pyramids of Giza, Egypt, 1932
A team of archaeologists traveled to an ancient site in Egypt. Married archaeologists and treasure hunters, Merrick and Joan Falsworth along with their assistant José Hernandez came in to survey the ancient site. "So, what is it you've found?" asked Merrick, a brown-haired man wearing a white button shirt with a dark brown jacket. "Will it make us rich?" Joan, a dark-haired woman wearing a green button shirt with a light brown jacket similar to her husband, scoffed, "In this economy? Hon, we're lucky if we make any money." This made her husband glare at her before their assistant point out to a pair of symbols at the entrance of a temple. Joan took a look at it as Merrick ordered, "José, get someone to record this!" His wife analyzed the symbols as she noted, "It's not Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics, Merrick. I've studied Ancient Egyptian, Phoenician, Mayan, and several other ancient texts. These symbols aren't any of them." Merrick took a look as well and asked, "Do they look familiar to you, Joan?" Her eyes widened, "Of course! Remember China? Greece?" He nodded in recognition as José came with a camera and began shooting. "Yeah, we've seen these symbols at China and Greece," recalled Merrick. "But what does it all mean? And how will it give us money?" Rolling her eyes, Joan sighed, "Money, money, money. Is that all you can think about? Not three different ancient societies coming into contact with a completely unknown society that hasn't made its way to the history books?" Merrick reminded, "Well, these expeditions aren't exactly free, you know. We're barely able to eat!" Then both husband and wife began arguing with each other that made José groan to himself as he had to endure yet another marital dispute. "Aye, aye, aye," muttered José, placing both hands on his face as the two married Americans continued to try to speak over each other's voices.

Then a couple of black and white uniformed agents came in and one of them loudly cleared their throat as the Falsworths turned their heads to face them. "Are you the Falsworths!" asked one of them. Merrick responded, "Who wants to know?" The other agent replied, "The U.S. government. Sector Seven." He held out a badge as Joan viewed it and stated, "Never heard of them." The first agent said mysteriously, "Never will. So we've heard about your trips to China and Greece and let's say, the head of S7 and the president's interested." In disbelief, Joan asked, "Why would President Hoover be so interested in us?" The first agent looked at Joan and offered, "Mrs. Falsworth, you've been trying to translate those symbols since you first saw them in China, right? Well, what if I say that we, Sector Seven, might have the answers?" She crossed her arms and pointed out, "That doesn't answer my question." Interested, Merrick asked, "If you got the answers, maybe there's a little something you can give us..." His wife glared, "Merrick! We don't know these people, or whatever the hell 'Sector Seven' is!" The agents ignored her outburst as the first agent responded, "Our agency is fully funded and will be dedicated to helping in your future exhibitions, as well as providing monetary compensation." Merrick grinned, "Then you got yourself a deal!"

Sowers, Texas, January 8, 1934
A bank teller sweated profusely as he nervously handed a sack full of stacked dollar bills to a man dressed in a suit and a fedora with a Tommy gun pointed at him. The bank teller stuttered, "H-Here you go. Just... Just don't hurt..." The well-dressed man interrupted assuringly, "You're doin' a great job, sir. Keep calm an' you'll be fine." He grabbed the sack as he turned to the hostages in the bank on their knees with their hands held high and a blonde woman wearing a black dress, a tan jacket, a tan cap, and black high heels who was also totting a Tommy gun. The man smiled, "Ladies and gentlemen. Thank you for your patience, and you're welcome for the story you get to tell your grandchildren. You've just been robbed by Bonnie and Clyde!" The two ran out of the bank as the man now revealed to be Clyde Barrow added, "Y'all have a nice day now, y'hear?"

Outside, the crime couple's getaway driver shifted impatiently as he muttered, "C'mon, c'mon, stop hotdoggin' it, Clyde." Then the woman now revealed to be Bonnie Parker whooped as she climbed in and her husband joined in. "Hit it, W.D.!" exclaimed Clyde. "Let's get the hell outta this 'burg! Cops'll be here any minute!" As if on cue, a police car sped nearby the crime couple's getaway car. Unfortunately, the getaway car crashed into the police car. The two outlaws regained conscious as they dizzily started to sit up. "Dang..." grunted Clyde. Bonnie held her head and groaned, "Ohh... Clyde..?" Her husband put a hand on W.D. whose head was on the steering wheel and whispered, "W.D., we gotta get... aw, dammit." Bonnie urged, "Clyde, let's go!" The married outlaws got out with their weapons and stolen cash and ran out as Clyde protested, "He's out cold, we can't just leave him!" Bonnie responded, "We gotta! We don't have time!" Then she spotted an older model car as she suggested, "Hey, that engine's running!" Clyde argued, "Car's older than you, Bonnie..." She faced him a glare and retorted, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Now jump in!"

The two put their guns and cash in the car but before they could climb in, a police officer pointed his gun at them and shouted, "Freeze!" Bonnie and Clyde stepped out of the car with their hands raised as the police officer declared, "You're not getting away this time. Now walk away from the car." The two did so before Clyde reached for his pistol on his belt as he reasoned, "All right, all right, hold your horses, son." We can talk this out like southerners." However, the police officer wasn't easily fooled as he shouted, "Don't try anything!" Bonnie warned, "Clyde..." Her husband grinned cooly, "Whoa, whoa, whoa! don't get bent now..." The police started, "You just..." Then the car behind the married outlaws started to break apart and shift into a large faceless mech with a dark blue visor which made the three gawk in shock at the sight of it. The robot pointed its wrist mounted guns at the police officer as it warned mechanically, "Don't... now... your... get... away... car..."