Chapter 19- A Nefarious Start

Westchester County, New York, 1929
Ace journalist Margaret Simmons arrived with a crowd of reporters brewing as police officers tried their best to keep them back. She eventually made her way through the reporters as she then saw the sight of a crashed car, crime analysts and police officers looking over at crime scene, and finally, a couple detectives and...

"Wells?" questioned Margaret with surprise recognition which caught the attention of both her father figure Theodore Joseph Wells, a young man in a suit, a bruised young boy who looked to be about as old as her son. The older man with glasses excused himself as he went over to Margaret and asked, "Margaret, what are you doing here?" She replied, "Given that you're here, I would guess it might have something to do with that..." Margaret pointed at the crashed car and added, "...and something else, right?" Wells sighed as he peered closer to her and said in a hushed voice, "Look, Margaret. This doesn't and shouldn't concern you. It's classified." She frowned, "Classified, huh? How exactly?" Wells didn't answer her question. "Is my father involved?" questioned Margaret, with a brow raised. "Or is it something involving my father's obsession?" He responded sternly, "Look, all you need to know is that all of this is a car accident, Margaret, and that's it." Margaret huffed as she watched Wells rejoin with his partner.

Roy Thompson looked at his partner away from a short-haired woman and asked, "What was that all about, Mr. Wells?" The older man replied, "Nothing you should be concerned about, Roy. Now..." Wells turned to the boy and asked, "Can you tell us what happened?" The boy was more focused in seeing two body bags the coroners were hauling away into their 1920 White Van County Coroner model vans. The two agents looked at what the boy was seeing and Roy explained, "The boy's parents, the Newells. Very rich family. One of the big names in the trade business." Wells knelt down for the boy who blinked and looked at him. "What is your name, son?" asked Wells. The boy answered, "C-Carter, sir." The older man nodded as he asked gently, "Can you tell me what happened?" Carter hesitated for a minute before Wells assured, "Look, Carter, anything you can tell us can help us find out what happened." The boy hesitated before he then mustered up the courage and opened his mouth...

Hours Prior
A yellow green, purple, light blue, light orange, and grey Bréguet 14 flew after a blue and red Volvo LV4 truck. The truck swerved around the road as the biplane kept going after it. In the truck's radio, a voice was heard saying, "Do you think you can make it to the lead first, Kup?"

The biplane heard another voice in its radio scoffed, "Just you wait, flyboy! I will make it first before you put your landing gear on the pavement!" This made the biplane boasted, "Nothing out-speeds Fortress!"

Kup accelerated faster as Fortress shot at him with his World War I biplane's guns. Kup tried his best to dodge the incoming fire, but was too late to react when he pulled up toward an intersection, crashing onto a 1927 Pontiac Landau Sedan which made him flip over in mid-transformation, tumbling onto the road in his robot mode.

Just Moments Before
A young eight year old boy, wearing a white dress shirt with a brown jacket, brown shorts, leather brown shoes, and a brown flat cap was sitting the back seat of his family's car, playing with his toy biplanes. In his head, the biplanes were flying all over the sky, engaged in a dogfight. The sound effects he made caused his mother and father to look back at him briefly in adoration as their vehicle approached a nearby intersection.

However, their attention suddenly shifted when they heard gunfire and a a blue and red Volvo LV4 truck came in and suddenly crashed onto their car. The impact made the sedan tumble over violently which made the windshield and doors' glass shatter and fly into the boy's parents as well as the father's head hitting the roof of the car and the mother flying onto the dashboard. When the car stopped tumbling, only the young boy survived, albeit with bruises and cuts from the glass. "M-Mommy?" said the boy, blinking and hearing the ringing in his ears. "D-Daddy?" His eyes widened in shock and tears at the sight of his dead parents. The boy got out of the car, with a slight limp before he collapsed onto the ground. He then heard a biplane's engine roar as he looked up to see one before it started to break apart and shift into a huge four-armed, seven-eyed robot!

 He then heard a biplane's engine roar as he looked up to see one before it started to break apart and shift into a huge four-armed, seven-eyed robot!

The boy could gape at awe as the robot could also see him as well.

Fortress peered his red seven optic gaze at the wounded boy and the crashed sedan with an apparent indifferent expression on his faceplate. He could see the occupants in the vehicle were dead and that the boy was the only survivor of the crash. He then saw Kup getting back up and transforming back into his truck mode again, driving off, taking advantage of Fortress's momentary distraction. Looking at the boy again, Fortress said insensitively, "Should of watched where you were going." He then ran, jumped up, and transformed back into his Bréguet 14 form and flew after Kup, leaving the boy in utter shock and confusion, as well as him crying in loss for his parents.

Present Time
Wells and Roy listened intently as the young Carter finished telling him what happened. Then a paramedic went over to check on him as the two agents walked away. "So how are we goin' to play this?" asked Roy. "This boy's seen... them." Wells looked at Carter as he answered simply, "A car accident. The young heir simply got a concussion from the crash, causing him to lose touch with reality. The imagination of a child, you know." Roy nodded, "I'd buy that." A woman's voice interrupted, "Well, I don't." The two men turned to see Margaret with an angry expression on her face. "People have a right to know about what really happened," stated Margaret. "I'll make sure the truth comes out." Roy jeered, "And who's gonna believe a woman?" Wells gave him a stern face which shut Roy up. "Look, Margaret," said Wells, turning to her. "The world's not ready yet to accept the existence of life outside the world. Besides, if you pursue this then you will end like--"

"Like what?" interrupted Margaret. "My father? The bastard who left his own wife and daughter behind for an obsession for something the 'world's not ready for?' Tell me, how many more innocent lives and lies do you have to say to the people you protect and care for?" She storms out as Wells thought to himself, l'm sorry, Clara...