Scene 13 - Outsmarting Intelligence

The Doctor and the others struggle in the atmosphere AIOC has altered within the climate of Omicron. The room becomes more stifling for the occupants inside.

Alaric:

AIOC! This is Space Command! End this now!

AIOC:

OXYEGN UNIMPORTANT ON THE MOON! WE SHALL ADAPT THE PRESSURE OF SPACE TO OMICRON 4 TO MATCH THE SLUMBER THAT WE HAVE ENDURED FOR MILLENNIA!

Custodian:

We can't stop it. Those Xherkrans will be on their way here. Lower gravity or not.

Alaric makes for a communicator on the desk.

Alaric:

This is Space Command. Priority Alpha. Emergency at Omicron. Send for immediate assistance. Hostile life forms. Computer malfunction.

AIOC:

COMMUNICATION WITH THE EARTH HAS CEASED PERMANENTLY!

Custodian:

You swine you!

The Custodian holds a weapon in his hand and goes to begin attacking the AIOC logo.

I'll teach you for this.

He begins hitting it, trying to damage the computer so it will break down.

Doctor:

No, don't. Destroy AIOC, and it will take Omicron with it.

Custodian:

How else do you intend to stop this insane computer?

Doctor:

Adapting its function. This is why you can never rely solely on computers. Put all your eggs in one basket, something goes wrong, then you really are in trouble.

The Xherkrans begin making their way towards the sealed entrance to get inside and destroy the survivors.

AIOC, you are programmed to obey your master's command, correct?

AIOC:

AFFIRMATIVE!

Doctor:

You now serve the Xherkrans and their function to regrow and span across the galaxy again, correct?

AIOC:

AFFIRMATIVE!

Doctor:

What artificial intelligence always fails to observe is how to think outside of the box. You can't think creatively. Only what you have been instructed to carry out?

AIOC:

AFFIRMATIVE! ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE CARRIES OUT PRIME DIRECTIVES WITHOUT DELAY OR INTERFERENCE!

Doctor:

The Xherkrans function. What is it?

AIOC:

RECONSUMPTION OF ORGANIC MATTER TO GROW US! EARTH WILL MAKE SUITABLE HABITAT TO REBEGIN GROWTH! SIGNAL SENT TO EARTH REQUIRING IMMEDIATE ASSISTANCE FOR HELP TO LURE EARTH VESSEL TO THE MOON!

Custodian:

They can't do that. They have no authority.

Alaric:

Another ship gets to the moon, then it will get to Earth.

Doctor:

Killing us will not be suitable to your purpose. You end all life on Earth, where will artificial intelligence be then? You won't be able to have been adapted under the Xherkrans.

We see the Xherkrans continue towards the sealed entrance after the Doctor and his friends.

Without organic matter, there would be nothing to control artificial intelligence. You may be self-supportive. But who will rule you then? What will you be serving for? With the Xherkrans, artificial intelligence will cease to activity. Ramification. Purpose.

The Xherkrans begin to reach the end of the passage, preparing to enter the sealed entrance to attack.

That is what will happen to your function if you do not stop the Xherkrans from taking over the moon. And then the Earth.

Custodian:

You see AIOC. The Omicron program must continue. Under your supervision.

The Xherkrans reach the sealed entrance, trying to get inside. The computer buffers. The purple light then returns back to the blue and under the command of the humans.

AIOC:

OMICRON SYSTEMS FUNCTION RESUMED FOR ACTIVITY! PRESERVATION OF INTELLIGENCE AND HUMAN EXISTENCE ESSENTIAL!

Alaric:

Well done, Doctor. You reprogrammed it.

Custodian:

Those instructions cannot be countermanded. Under any circumstances, AIOC. Now. Stabilize pressure inside the control area.

We see the Xherkrans try to break in with the pincers on their arms trying to dig into the sealed entrance.

Lieutenant Garven:

They're still coming.

Custodian:

As for the access corridors, open all airlocks. Allow for the pressure to be absorbed out onto the surface.

Lieutenant Garven:

But our oxygen supply is.

Custodian:

Just get them out of here.

AIOC:

AFFIRMATIVE!

We hear a massive gust of wind blowing as the Xherkrans begin to float down the corridor, being sucked out into space.

Alaric:

Activate video scan.

A screen appears for the airlock of the moonbase. The Xherkrans continue to be sucked out. We see them float out into space, flying away from the lunar surface to drift away into space forever. Once they are out, a sigh of relief comes from the occupants aboard the moonbase.

Custodian:

Thank goodness for that. Seal the airlocks outside and reestablish oxygen and temperature across Omicron 4.

We see the airlocks closing again.

AIOC:

OXYGEN LEVELS RESTORING! PRESSURE RESTABALISED!

Doctor:

You see. Never allow yourself to be intimidated by a computer

We cut to view the exterior of Omicron 4...