chapter two

the fallen descendant

dina

"you got an active one!" seraph shouts excitedly as i show her my fallen angel. "lucky, i got some old fart." she sighs showing me her picture.

"fallen angel josiah was a worker angel, age locked at sixty-two." i inform her.

"thanks textbook. how does an old man fall?" she rolls her eyes, calling me by my nickname since the beginning of our training days.

"judging by his eyes, i think he killed another angel." i tell her, she gasps.

"maybe he won't be so boring then!" she claps. seraph is the only girl that would clap after hearing about murder. though she's a healing angel, she's become obsessed with true-crime. when she has free time on earth, she will steal case files and attempt to solve a case on her own. she's definitely one of the weirder ones, but all of us descendant angels are friends, having been around each other for our whole lives.

"did you guys get anyone good?" marcel asks us.

"dina did, i just got some old inactive murderer." seraph tells him. marcel looks at me with raised eyebrows.

"i got the fallen descendant." i show him my paper. he gasps.

"of course you would get the coolest one!" he gently shoves me. "you're the only one i've seen who got an active one." he adds.

"really?" i ask.

"yeah, so far everyone had inactive ones. i even got lilith, but she's inactive." he shows me his paper, i get chills as i lock eyes with lilith's picture.

"i'll write your paper if you take over my earth tasks." i joke.

"no-can-do, you know the future of heaven being in our hands and everything." he jokes back.

"anyone cool?" uriah soon joins our conversation.

"dina got the fallen descendant." marcel tells him.

"no way!" uriah shrieks as he pulls my paper from my hand. "this guy doesn't look like he could hurt a fly." he snorts. "mantra! come look." he calls for our other friend. she comes running over. "dina got the fallen descendant." he shows her.

"how do you always get the cool ones!" she groans.

"you guys only say that because i got paired with archangel michael for the archangel report." i roll my eyes.

"archangel michael is the coolest! have you seen him fight?" marcel gawks.

"no way! archangel raphael is the coolest!" seraph buds in.

"you're a healer, of course you think that." mantra rolls her eyes.

"anyways! sure it's cool that i have the fallen descendant, but he's active." i frown.

"true, that's kinda scary." uriah says. "look! it's archangel gabriel!" he says, tearing everyone's attention away from me as we watch him fly over us.

"descendants." he greets us, landing in front of a locked door. we all bow graciously to him. seraph whispers to me as archangel gabriel begins spewing the importance of this locked chamber of the library.

"by the way, what did felix to do fall?" she whispers, i groan at her for speaking over archangel gabriel.

"i'm not sure." i tell her, she gasps.

"aren't you supposed to know that just by looking at him?" she whisper yells.

"yeah, but his picture-"

"something you'd like to share with everyone, dina?" archangel gabriel's voice booms. my eyes widen and i feel my wings shift uncomfortably.

"n-no archangel gabriel, i apologize." i bow.

"this is one of the most important assignments of your training, i expect you all on your best behavior." he sneers at seraph and i.

especially when you have an active fallen angel.

gabriel's voice booms in my head, he spoke only to me. i nod carefully.

"now, go. the books are in alphabetical order, i trust you won't have any issues finding your fallen." archangel gabriel unlocks the door and the angels start filing in. just as i was about to enter behind seraph, my feet stop moving. i look up to see archangel gabriel staring down at me. i gulp. seraph sends me an apologetic smile before disappearing into the room.

"felix's book is held in a different location." he tells me. "follow me." i nod. he flies ahead of me. i quickly pull off my jacket, revealing my wings. i shake them a few times, stretching them out before i fly up behind him. he flies to the roof of the library, landing next to a small trap door.

"why is it up here?" i ask him as he pulls open the trap door.

"a fallen descendant is a special case, it's only happened two other times in history. we call them the unholy. all information on them is kept up here for the informative angels to try and learn as much about them as we can." he says, reaching his hand out for me to grab so he can help me down the ladder. i graciously take it, carefully climbing down the steps into a small circular room, lit by candles. an older informative angel is sat in a chair, scribbling some notes on a scroll.

"regina, you are excused of your duties for today." archangel gabriel tells her, she bows silently and leaves the room. he runs his fingers along the small shelf, grabbing the third of the three books on it. "everything you need to learn about felix is in here." he hands me the book. "and dina," he starts. "be careful."

"what do you mean?" i ask and he shakes his head.

"i can't say much more. just be careful." he says before climbing back up the ladder and flying away. i place my jacket back on, wings curling back into their hidden position. i sit in the chair that regina was in earlier, cracking open the book. again every inch of information i took into my brain about felix radiated innocence. i quickly skimmed, looking for the part of his sin. brows instantly furrowing as i read his sin.

sin: love

being a heaven-born angel, i knew each and every sin. as far as i was concerned, love is not a sin, and it never has been. love is encouraged, even heightened in angels. once angels fall in love, theres no going back. but angels are destined to fall in love with someone from the moment they're born, but it is always someone good, god creates every match hence the saying 'match made in heaven'. so based on what i know, it's impossible to fall in love with the wrong person, especially so much so that it turns into a sin, so how can someone's sin be love?

i decided right there that i was going to read every word in this book. it was rare for an informative angel like me to be confused, and i hated the feeling. i was determined to figure this out.