chapter ten

it can't be

dina

"he... jumped?" i look over to felix who now has his head hung low, refusing to meet my gaze. "why would you jump?" i ask him.

"for hyunjin." seungmin answers.

"you... you told me that he spoke to a fallen angel." i say, recalling our chat in the infirmary.

"because i was hoping to scare you enough to not talk to him, but clearly it didn't work." seungmin says. "i'm sorry for lying to you, i didn't want you caught up in all of this."

"what happened to hyunjin?" i ask.

"his sister had committed adultery, and when she fell, hyunjin couldn't take it. he marched right up to god and questioned him to his face." chan answers. "we tried to stop him, but then he heard that felix jumped." he adds.

"felix jumped before hyunjin fell?" i gasp. felix still wouldn't look at any of us. chan nods.

"cas, that angel that was just in here, had lied to him and told him that hyunjin fell with his sister." chan sighs.

"and felix being felix, he didn't even hesitate to jump after him." minho adds.

"that's when hyunjin demanded god to bring felix back. hyunjin's questioning and demands eventually made god so angry that he banished hyunjin, and he fell."  jisung frowns.

"when he jumped, he changed his entire future, and yours." changbin adds.

"mine?" i ask and changbin nods.

"he was the first angel to survive a jump. any other angel who has jumped has died. but felix..." jeongin stops. "felix." he calls. "you'll have to tell this part of the story." jeongin tells him. he nods.

"i lived... but my wings... they changed forever. i didn't know what i meant, but now i think i do." felix finally looks up. "my carelessness hurt you, i will forever be tainted with the sin of turning my back on god... and unfortunately you will be too."

"no... no i won't..." i back away from them.

"your future was written the moment felix jumped. you can't change it." changbin says, stepping towards me. the thought of jumping myself comes to mind, at least that way i would have some sort of control over my life. changbin's eyes flash before he looks at me, blinking rapidly. "you can't jump, you won't survive it." he adds.

"i won't end up with felix... I'm supposed to find a good, pure angel, i can't do this, i won't do this..." i stare into his eyes. i was angry.

"dina..." felix starts.

"no! you don't get to talk to me. you ruined my life with your selfishness!" i yell. his jaw hangs open and his eyebrows contort into sadness. it hurt to see him like that, but i didn't care. my eyes fill with tears. "why me?" i whisper, falling to my knees as i let the tears fall. felix sits across from me, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me into his lap before i could push him away. he rests his chin on my shoulder as i cry into his neck.

"you have no idea how sorry i am..." he whispers, only making me cry even harder. though they never said it, i knew they were telling me that felix was my true love. the one who's wings that god crafted perfectly for my eyes. i could have guessed it from the beginning, but i never wanted to believe it. even now, i wanted nothing more than to go back to before i ever saw him, but i couldn't deny the warm bubbly feeling i got as felix calmly stroked my wings as i straddled his lap.