Chapter four

With my AirPods snugly nestled in my ears, Halsey's "Without Me" remixed by Illenium fills my senses

With my AirPods snugly nestled in my ears, Halsey's "Without Me" remixed by Illenium fills my senses. I take off my heels and settle on the bank of the school's man-made lake, allowing my feet to immerse into the water. Contentment washes over me as I close my eyes, relishing the cool sensation enveloping my feet. I knew that the small fishes in the lake would soon be tickling my feet, and I'm going to enjoy that.

Even though I was determined to stay strong, I couldn't help but feel hurt again. After raising my head high  and introducing myself with the confidence I had grown into, they simply ignored me, no comebacks or polite greetings. Which is actually the worst way of humiliation then rude comments.

But of course that was included, the women at our table couldn't stop themselves from being jealous with my designer dress or the grace I carried myself around. When I decided I couldn't just sit there, I walked over to the makeshift bar, ordering a mocktail while three men along with my brother approached me.

"Hi, I am Yash Khalekar and I must say, you've turned into a beautiful woman Shiya." His eyes did a slow scan over my body and my exposed legs.

"Eyes up here," I snapped, while I glanced at Siddharth, who was busy talking to someone, and that someone was staring at me with an unreadable expression.

"Sorry ma'am," he laughed as he leaned towards his friend and said, "someone is sure feisty now. Remember when she would beg—"

I move closer to him, tracing my fingers along the row of buttons on his unattractive maroon shirt. Then, gripping his collar firmly, I draw him closer until our faces are intimately close. In a hushed tone, I whisper, "Im well aware where you work, Yash Khalekar. I could get you terminated in an instant and make you beg. Do not provoke me to a point where I would be sad enough to ruin you life."

Swiftly, I push him away, asserting myself as I straighten my posture. With composure, I utter, "If you'll excuse me, gentlemen." I cast a brief glance at the individual who is pretending to listen to Siddharth, catching a glimpse of a concealed smile as he glanced at me. He seems to thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment I just unfolded out for him.

Startled by the sudden splash of water, I look up to find the man who had been staring at me was now smiling at me. I felt my heart slow down in a purr of appreciation at the beautiful specimen in front of me.

Charcoal eyes, Greek nose, pencil-line moustache, veiled smiles, strong jawline, diamond studs.

This man was made on a canvas.

Every single feature on his was artistic, as if the biggest creator of art had meticulously sculpted this man. Now all I wanted was to pick up charcoal and glide my smudge fingers over the largest canvas  imaginable, all while showing casing how his charcoal eyes were calling for me, deep, alluring, sultry with a smouldering effect from within.

While I believed my smile to be persuasive, his smile effortlessly outshined each and every counterfeit fake smile I had worn. His smile had layers of delicate veil that concealed its true nature. I would have been convinced of the authenticity of his smile had I not possessed expertise in the art of deception.