Chapter 9 (NEW)

Seraphina stood before the entrance of Roman's cottage, a small structure nestled amidst the towering trees. The afternoon sun cast dappled shadows on the path leading up to the door, as if nature itself held its breath in anticipation of their meeting. With a steadying breath, Seraphina pushed the door open and stepped inside.

The interior of the cottage greeted her with a sense of simplicity and order. The space was adorned with minimal furnishings, reflecting Roman's preference for practicality over extravagance. A worn wooden table stood in the center, flanked by two sturdy chairs, bearing the marks of years of use. The walls, adorned with simple tapestries depicting ancient symbols, added a touch of mystique to the humble abode.

Seraphina's eyes scanned the room, taking in the neatly arranged bookshelves filled with weathered tomes, the crackling fire in the stone hearth, and the soft glow of candlelight that illuminated the space. A sense of tranquility enveloped her as she breathed in the familiar scent of wood and earth, mingled with the faint aroma of herbs from a nearby pot.

Her footsteps carried her further into the cottage until she found herself standing in front of a closed door. Behind it lay Roman's private quarters, a space that held the essence of his being. She hesitated for a moment, her hand poised to knock, before steeling herself and turning the knob.

As the door swung open, a wave of vulnerability washed over Seraphina. She stepped into the room, her eyes immediately drawn to the unmade bed, a reflection of Roman's solitary existence. The ruggedness of his personal belongings scattered about spoke of a man comfortable with solitude and simplicity.

A leather-bound journal lay open on the nightstand, its pages filled with Roman's meticulous handwriting. Seraphina's gaze lingered on it, tempted by the secrets and thoughts contained within. However, she resisted the urge to intrude, recognizing that this space was Roman's sanctuary, a sacred place he shared with few.

Taking a seat on the edge of the bed, Seraphina let her gaze wander to the small window, offering a view of the surrounding forest. The sunlight filtered through the leaves, casting a golden hue that danced upon the walls. She could sense Roman's presence even in his absence, as if his very essence permeated the air.

The sound of a door creaking open alerted Seraphina to Roman's return. She turned her head to find him entering the cottage, his presence commanding yet tempered by weariness. The scent of the outdoors clung to him, mingling with the subtle undertones of nature and the hunt.

Roman moved towards the sink, his footsteps echoing through the small cottage. He splashed water on his face, the cool liquid refreshing his tired features. Droplets trickled down his strong jawline, rejuvenating him in the simple act of cleansing.

Seraphina watched him intently, her determination brewing within her. She took a deep breath, gathering her courage to voice her request. "Roman," she began, her voice firm yet tinged with vulnerability, "I need your help. I want to train, to prepare myself for the trials of the Luna ceremony."

Roman paused, his gaze meeting hers in the reflection of the mirror. He studied her for a moment, contemplating her words. With a towel, he dried his face, his features reflecting a mix of surprise and curiosity. "Why do you need my help?" he questioned, seemingly enjoying this moment.

Seraphina met his gaze, her eyes filled with determination. "Because, Roman," she responded, her voice steady, "I want to be ready for the trials, to face them head-on and prove to myself and others that I am capable. Amelia told me I would have to face you in one of the trials, to test and prove my mental strength and resolve."

Roman's brows furrowed slightly as he considered her request. He turned towards her, their eyes locking. "You know," he began, his voice laced with a mix of surprise and admiration, "I didn't think you would come to me for help."