Chapter six (OLD)

6.

Silence. Words were left unspoken. Blood dripped down Seraphina's collarbone. Blood dripped down Roman's chin.

The choice was taken from her. She was raised to contemplate this choice her whole life. Who to spend the rest of her days with, who to care for, who's pups she'd bear, who she could confide in. And now she stood in disbelief that the decision was made for her.

Her whole body felt numb, she didn't comprehend how she got to the celebration area in her territory, which wasn't her territory anymore. It belonged to Roman. She belonged to Roman. Her freedom had been taken and now she had to obey a monster.

Silence. None dared to speak. All eyes were on them, following their every move. Goosebumps covered her body and she found herself hugging her chest, her arms crossed, one covering her lady parts as she waited for someone to bring her clothes.

When they passed through the gates she observed the clearing. She noticed a lycan male comforting his newfound mate as the realization that she'd have to leave her pack behind to stay with her mate hit her. All the werewolf males respectively turned away, while the lycans eyed Seraphina's slim body which resulted in a deep growl from Roman. All but one turned their gaze away from the newfound Luna. All but Hyland. His dark brown eyes seemed to pierce her and though she thought she spotted regret, he showed no other signs of it.

"Stop ogling at my Luna. Don't you have any respect left in you?" Roman's voice shattered the silence as Seraphina was handed a red dress which symbolized that she was unavailable.

He called her his Luna. She only now realized what the meaning behind that was. She was now bound to him even though she was unsure if he was her true mate. The faint presence of her wolf had already accepted his dominance as he was superior to her in every way, but her logical side felt no such thing. Though her species was quite evolved, they were lesser than the lycans, meaning that she'd never know who was truly meant for her.

"Respect should be mutual. I have none for any female who bears your mark. You're a disgrace to the lycans, Roman. Choosing a werewolf as a mate, I expected better from you." Hyland's harsh words made Seraphina feel ashamed and she kept her head low because facing the wrath of the northern Alpha was not something she desired.

"Choosing a mate? Only werewolves have that luxury. I may be a self-made Alpha, but I have never defied the moon's will or her laws. My Luna was chosen for me, I marked her as soon as I knew she's supposed to be mine." Roman argued, his hands formed fists.

"If you say that you've never defied the moon's laws, then how come you didn't make your intentions clear to the female before the Run began? I was watching you and not once did you talk to Luna Seraphina. How come your mark is on her flesh if the laws are so sacred to you?" Roman was cornered. Seraphina knew that Hyland spoke the truth.

She felt it. The whirlwind of rage and anger, the stubbornness inside of him. Their bond wasn't strong enough to communicate mentally without barriers, but they could feel each other's emotions. Right now, the emotions she felt terrified her.

"As I expected, no answer from you. As Alpha of the northern territories, I claim this pack and its land for myself. As this pack's Alpha is no longer in command, and her mate had been deemed unfit to lead a long time ago, I will be taking over. Alpha Roman's wolves will be slaughtered if found in this territory after midnight."
Hyland turned and walked away, barking orders she couldn't comprehend. Her whole world had just been shattered into pieces by this male who she had thought could save her.

She looked up at Roman who looked calm, but she knew it was only a facade. "Aren't you going to challenge him?" The question didn't result in an answer. Roman didn't even acknowledge her. "Roman, this pack was mine, it is my family, please." She shook his arm, begging him. Once again, it didn't result in an answer. Roman stood there, like a perfect statue with his hands behind his back and a stone expression on his face.

You have a difficult life ahead of you. I'm sorry I let him take you, but I'm
not going to apologize for the way things turned out. You're not welcome here anymore, you belong to him now. Hyland spoke and Seraphina realized what his intentions were all along. He wanted her for himself and when Roman claimed her, it changed him. Seraphina tried to reason with Hyland, but his mind was shielded off from the world and since she wasn't an Alpha anymore, the little dominance she had left was nowhere near enough to break through his barriers.

She felt a gust of cold air brush her side and noticed that Roman was no longer by her side. He was gone. Her eyes darted from one side of the clearing to the other in a panic, searching for her new Alpha and mate. The scent he left behind drew her, tried to lure her to follow it into the woods, after the cold-hearted Alpha, but Seraphina resisted even though it was nearly impossible.

"Our Alpha has made his exit. Follow us, Luna, we'll lead you back to your new home." A female voice spoke and Seraphina recognized the features of the female speaking. It was the she-wolf that came to the run by Roman's side, who she assumed was his mate. Only now she realized that her neck was free of marks.

Seraphina nodded and crossed her arms over her chest, hugging and protecting herself from the cool northern winds. Her body seemed to move on its own, she felt completely numb on the inside, the scale of the casualties just hit her. The Coriellis pack was no more, the work of generations of her family was destroyed by her. These thoughts poisoned Seraphina's mind like vipers, eating away any confidence, sucking out the dominance from her.

Her feet were frozen and had turned blue from walking barefoot on the cold terrain. In the distance, she saw a lone wolf resting near a pine tree with its back facing the rising sun, the winds ruffled his cool gray pelt that Seraphina wouldn't mistake for anything. The lycan was burned into her mind.

She separated herself from the group, some human, some in lycan or wolf form, and walked in the direction of the lycan. When she was at an arm's length from him, he stood up and shook off the pine needles that fell onto his fur and turned to face Seraphina. Even though she wasn't the shortest of the bunch, the lycan still towered over her.

'What do you need, Seraphina? Josephine will lead you to our home, I'll be joining you shortly.' Roman's voice echoed in her mind and the lycan started to turn away, but he didn't even take a step away from Seraphina as she immediately dug her hand into the fur on his neck and yanked him towards her, which caused a loud growl to erupt from his throat.

"Now you listen. I lost everything because of you - my family, my pack, even my title, so you owe me answers at the least. Why didn't you challenge Hyland for my pack?" Seraphina tried her best to sound confident and strong, but her voice trembled.

Your pack was small and insignificant. I couldn't be bothered to deal with Hyland, especially when I already got what I came for.

Anger was the only emotion she felt then. It was directed towards one person only.

"Roman I promise you that I will bring you down with me. You think you're invincible right now, but I will be the one weakness in your strength. I will bring you grief, sadness, and emotions you've never felt before, but most of all I will bring you pain. That mark on my neck may symbolize that I am bound to you, but you are bound to me as well. Don't forget that."

Roman was left speechless and Seraphina went back to join the group, a new plan already brewing in her mind.

A.N. 15k reads and 800 votes?? You guys are insane, thank you so much! As you might've noticed, Lycan received a title change and is now called Claimed. I just thought the title Lycan was a tad overused. As always, feedback, suggestions, and questions are always welcome, I do my best to reply to every single comment! x