Chapter one (OLD)

I bring the karma to your game.

1. 

The life of a pack was interesting to observe. The pups scampered around the buildings, cheering everyone up with their joy of life and carefree attitude. It was hard not to smile while watching the little balls of bliss, and Seraphina felt the corners of her mouth go up. Up here, on the edge of a cliff, which cast a shadow over the eastern border of the Coriellis pack's territory, it seemed as if she was on top of the world. Nobody dared to come up here, so this was her secret spot, her shelter. Though her smile vanished as quickly as it had appeared after she noticed one of her brother's tramps moving towards her.

"Luna Seraphina, your presence is required in the Alpha's office," The 'assistant' spoke, while holding back her medium-length dark brown locks from getting stuck to her lip gloss. Oh, the wonders of being a girl.

Still sitting on the cliff, dangling her legs off the edge, Seraphina sighed. The responsibilities of being a Luna and a healer were a little too overwhelming sometimes. After her brother asked her to become the Luna, she was supposed to turn into this motherly figure for the pack overnight, which was almost impossible.

"Luna Seraphina?" Another voice pierced the silence. "If you have some spare time, could you ask Alpha Lucas to reconsider my daughter's participation in the run?" It asked.

The run. She had completely forgotten it was going to take place in only two days. "I will, and tell Lucas I'm coming," Seraphina commanded. Her mind was now focused on one thing - persuading Lucas to allow herself and some other girl to not be a participant in the run. The run was a tradition that came from ancient times when Lycans used to roam the earth freely. Once a year, all of them would gather into one pack's territory, and have a celebration. At midnight, the unmated males would chase the females, in search of their soulmate. When the weaker species, the werewolves, began to overpower Lycans with their numbers, it became an event where a few neighboring packs get together. The run still happened, but it became different. Since only Lycans had soulmates; male werewolves chose and claimed girls as their mates. The night at which the run took place was the only night a werewolf could feel a slight pull to their true mate.

The sound of footsteps became more and more distant as the two girls walked down the hill, leaving Seraphina alone with her thoughts. Another sigh escaped her lips and she stood up, the cool autumn breeze blowing her loose curls back, spreading around her scent. She was told that she smelled like coconuts and marshmallows, which was odd because she was anything but sweet and innocent, though most of her pack members thought she was. To them, she was a savior, a wall between Lucas' wrath and them. The years of leading the pack gave her tough skin.

Members of her pack dipped their heads in respect as their Luna passed by, making her way to the pack house where the Alpha's office was located. The Coriellis pack's territory was rather large in comparison to other packs their size, many would say they were lucky to survive this long after the former Luna's death. After she died, the Coriellis pack took its downfall, with the Alpha stepping down, handing the position over to his son who was far from ready of handling the duties that came with the title.

19. That's how old Seraphina's brother Lucas was when the responsibilities fell on his shoulders. Seraphina got a piece of that pie as well when Lucas asked her to be the Luna. He did not understand the state his pack was in back then, and Seraphina got the task of molding a broken pack back together.

Seraphina reached the pack house in no time due to her being deep in thought. As she opened the tall wooden door, she knew she walked into a scene. Lucas's fists were clenched, his knuckles turning white, eyes pure gold and opposite him stood Gavin, who had an expression on his face that was impossible to read, and his arms were crossed over his chest. As soon as I opened the door, their heads snapped in my direction and I saw a spark of relief in Gavin's eyes.