Chapter five - part one (OLD)

You're a mystery,
My perfect discovery.

5.1

Edited by taepoch-

Seraphina was woken up by numerous howls. At first, she was confused, thinking through why her wolves would howl then she realized that the howling wolves were not hers. Lycans sung their song of congratulating a new Alpha, and it was meant for her.

Jumping out of her bed, she rushed to her closet, picking out a simple white tank top and black jeans for they could be ripped to shreds at any moment she decided to shift. She walked downstairs while brushing her hair and walked out of her cabin barefoot towards the lycans.

Their song fell silent once they were aware of her presence, and all but one dipped their heads in respect to the Alpha. All but the beast.

He stood proud, his frame overshadowing the other lycans, and looked at Seraphina as his eye color started to change from dark brown to hazel, indicating that the human side was fighting the lycan mind for control over the body.

The sound of cracking bones filled the grass field and before Seraphina stood a sight for sore eyes. Naked. Trying her best not to look up and down the muscular body, she turned away from the man, allowing him to get dressed.

The other mateless females were not so modest, most of them ogling at the body of a Greek god.

"You can turn around now, Luna. It's just skin, anyway," he spoke, his voice masculine and low but most of all, calm. "I'm afraid I didn't introduce myself properly the night before. My name is Hyland, Alpha of the northern territories." Walking towards Seraphina, he offered her a sincere smile to which she answered with one of her own which caused the females of her pack to whisper about what the two were doing that night.

Suddenly, everything clicked in Seraphina's mind. The beast was Hyland–the Alpha Gavin had under control. The only piece of information missing was what Hyland desired so much.

"Alpha Hyland, welcome. My Beta, Gavin, will show your pack to their houses. I expect you all to be ready for the run by sunset." She motioned to Gavin who nodded respectfully. The lycans followed their leader, all of them in human form now, dressed. Every single female was tall and fit, built like a fighter and Seraphina straightened her spine, trying to look taller and hide her insecurity about her small frame and uneasiness about the fact that she had nine lycans on her territory. Any one of them could wipe out her pack.

It was only then that she could get a good look at Hyland. Tall, muscular and confident were the three words that summed up the Alpha. Everything about him, from his square jaw and bushy brows to his golden eyes, was attractive and Seraphina caught herself thinking about how they would look together.

Shaking off the thoughts, she remained in the grass field in the center of her territory, waiting for one more group of wolves. As time passed, she noticed that she wasn't alone anymore. Some of her pack anxiously awaited the arrival of Roman's pack beside her.

They didn't need to wait long. A larger group of lycans and werewolves emerged from the forest, and Seraphina realized that the wolf from the night before was actually a lycan. As the Alpha of his pack, he led his group with a female beside him who Seraphina assumed was his mate.

Roman's lycan form was massive. His thick, cool gray pelt protected him from the northern winds, and his broad frame intimidated everyone around him. A pang of jealousy scratched at her when the female nuzzled his neck with her snout, but Seraphina quickly brushed it off and turned, giving them time to shift and cover themselves.

"A little modest, aren't we, miss," Roman's voice whispered, his lips barely grazing the soft spot behind her ear and Seraphina felt shivers run down her spine. This man knew how to make a woman melt though what bothered her was that she didn't hear him walk up to her at all. Was she losing her senses?

"If I said it was good to see you again, I'd be lying," Seraphina snapped back and took a few steps backward to put distance between them. "Since one of your territories isn't too far, you won't be staying the night here." The words came out shaky and uncertain. If he had only not been in shorts, perhaps it would've been easier to keep her focus on the run.

"Well, what is my pack supposed to do while we wait for the run to begin?"

"I don't care. Just don't cause any trouble because if you do, I'll murder you. Tonight will run smoothly, got it?" Seraphina's words forced another chuckle out of Roman. He irritated her, and Seraphina felt frustration build up inside her. This lycan was getting on her nerves.

"If I said I'd like to see you try, I'd be lying. I'd much rather have you do other things to me." A smirk was now playing on his face as he walked away, and she couldn't help but notice that the female was at his side again.

-

The sky began to turn shades of orange and on the other side, the full moon painted the sky blue. Seraphina observed the final touches being added to the party from her usual spot up on the cliff.

The field in the center of the houses was turned into a beautiful area. Paper lanterns cast a dim orange light, and two huge round tables were full of food such as baked goods, cakes as well as a huge cooked deer some of the males hunted down earlier. People were already arriving.

The arched gate to their territory served more of a decorative purpose than a defensive one since most packs arrived through the forest and now, it was decorated with a ton of white and red roses, matching the colors of the females' dresses. The mateless females who were going to participate in the run wore white dresses as they symbolized their availability to the males. Accordingly, the mated females wore red dresses.

The custom was that before marking the female as his during the run, the male must make his intentions clear while the party was still ongoing. She spotted Gavin talking to the lycan female and wondered if the two would find each other tonight. Roman was surrounded by females, clearly enjoying the attention but once in a while, he would look around as if he was searching for someone.

Seraphina sighed and walked down towards the gate. The night was dark, and the moon shined upon the clearing and nowhere else. It was time to start the run.

-

Roman felt astonished when he spotted her.

Her blonde hair was in loose curls and framed her petite face, and it seemed as if the moon itself was shining upon her. The dress was floor-length with lace detailing from the waist up and a flowy, almost see-through material covering her legs with a slit that showed some of her left thigh. Only one word came to his mind as he looked at her. Beautiful.

His throat dried out, and he could not believe that someone so tiny had such power over him.

He watched her, ignoring the females surrounding him. Everyone's head was turned to her, and everyone's eyes were locked onto hers. The chatter fell silent. This was a female he could one day consider his equal.

"Welcome, all. Avalo pack, Corrielis pack and the northern pack, thank you for attending the celebration and our ancient tradition of honoring the moon's blessing to us all," she spoke, the full moon behind her. "I want everyone to get ready. Females, as always, we get a head start. Males, good luck and may the moon bless you with your true mate tonight."

The females started taking off their dresses and the males, respectfully, looked at their feet or at the ground. All except one. Roman couldn't take his eyes off Seraphina. She captivated him; her skin seemed to glow in the moonlight, and she was truly a sight to behold.

"Let the run begin."

A.N. Hi guys! Sorry that this is kind of a filler chapter, but I promise, you will absolutely love what happens next! Get ready for the run people ;)