Ten

Kalani:

I shut Leonardo's door and walk back to the elevator from before then hit floor one. The kitchen has to be on the first floor right? I mean who has it on the third floor or higher?

I hear the bell ring, indicating I'm at the correct story. Walking out I see a big open entrance. I peek my head in and see a beautiful yet huge kitchen. Entering, I take in the atmosphere. All I can say is... wow.

I take steps toward the fridge, still looking up and admiring the big chandeliers. I bump into something, I thought was the refrigerator.

"Oh I'm sorry!" I hear a familiar voice say with worry. I look down and see Madison. "Madi?! Where were you? And watch where you're going!" She scoffs. "You watch where you are going! You weren't paying attention either!"

True.

She sighs. "And I was in his room." My eyebrows furrow in confusion. "Who's room?" I see the same guy from the club yesterday comes up and wrap his arms around Madison's waist. "That would be me. Hey. I'm Alexandro." He detaches one of his arms from her waist and holds it out for me to shake.

I give him a slight smile. "Hey, I'm Kalani." I shake his hand. "Oh so you're the Kalani." I chuckle, taking my hand back. "What do you mean 'the'?" Alexandro detaches himself from my best friend and turns to the fridge. "You're the one Madison called. The doctor for my guy, Leonardo."

"Oh yeah. He's fine now. He should heal pretty quickly." He hums in response, scanning the fridge.

"Are you and Leonardo friends?" I try to make small talk. "Yeah, one of my closest actually. Him and his brother." I nod as my eyes fall to Madi who has a blush creeping on her face. I raise my eyebrows in amusement. "He's cute! Good find." I mouth to her. Her eyes widen, "stop it!" I chuckle.

"What's so funny?" Alexandro diverts his attention back to me. "Oh nothing, no need to worry." His eyes fall onto mine as silence fills the room. Okay this is awkward, why did I come here again?

"Oh, can you pass me a bottle of water?" He nods and reaches in, grabbing me one. Placing it on the counter, he slides it to me. I give him a slight smile, "Thanks. Well I gotta go and give this to Leonardo.  How long are you going to stay Madi?" She looks up to Alex. I didn't ask him if I can call him that, but he doesn't know what's going on in my head anyway.

"Um in a few hours maybe?" She responds. "Okay well when I'm done, I'm going home. Today has been a long day. It was nice meeting you Alexandro. Bye Madison." They say goodbye and I turn to walk out but bump into something again.

What is with me and bumping into things and people today?

I look up and see Leonardo, towering over me. "Oh. I was just about to come back up to your room. Here's your water." I hand him the bottle.

"Thank you." He takes the pill out of the bottle and places it in his mouth while twisting the cap open. He places his lips onto the bottle and gulps down the antibiotic, keeping his eyes set on me the entire time.

"Where do you live Doctor Cassano?" He asks. Quite straightforward may I add. "Sorry, I don't give out personal information so easily, like my trust." He chuckles. "Smart, yet you didn't think that I'm apart of the Italian Mafia. I can find out anything I want about you Kalani." He smirks. Well he's not wrong.

"You may be right, but why should I trust you? What do you even want from me? What does Lorenzo want?" He sighs. "So many questions. So many answers you want. Well there's only one. We want you as our personal doctor."

I scoff. "Lorenzo already asked me that. And I don't know okay? It's a lot to think about." I hear someone come down the stairs. "I get it, I do. But we can give you so much more." Leonardo says. "Like what money? I get it, it's a lot. I can get a lot from you guys, but have you thought about who you people are first?" I notice a figure come into frame on the staircase and I look up, seeing Lorenzo.

I sigh. "You people are dangerous. You're a Mafia. The strongest may I add. You have enemies and I don't need any more right now okay? Just give me time." Leonardo looks up to Lorenzo, as he makes his way down the stairs slowly.

He makes his way to Leonardo's side and crosses his arms. "What do you mean any more enemies, Kalani?" I shake my head and look down at the floor. "Look, I came to help and I did." My head raises back up to meet their gazes. "I didn't come here to talk about my life story and my past."

They nod slowly. "I understand." Leonardo speaks. "Yeah I understand too. Take your time." There's the silence again. It is too quiet. I open my mouth to say something, then my phone rings. "I'm sorry, I have to take this and go." I turn my attention to Leo. "Take one pill a day, the wound should be healed in no time." I rush out of the house, and answer the phone.

"Hello?" I ask walking to my car. "Hey K." A big smile comes onto my face, while I unlock my car door and get in. "Jake?!" He laughs a bit. "You've always been good at guessing games." Jake is my childhood best friend since I was three years old. We grew up together and were neighbors. He was my first friend and like a brother to me, he still is.  His mom and dad always treated me like I was their daughter. Jake was an only child so we had each other. That was until they moved away when both me and him were eighteen to Washington. We barely spoke because of how busy we both became.

I put my car in drive and start going home. "How are you?! It's been forever since I've heard your annoying voice!" He gasps dramatically. "Hey! My voice is not annoying! I think I sound great!"

I roll my eyes as I stop at a red light. "Anyway, I've been pretty good. How have you been K?" Jake is the only person that calls me K. Since we were kids. "I've been stressed but okay." He hums in response.

"So I've wanted to break the news to you..." I slowly press my foot on the gas once the light turns green. "What news?" He sighs. "It's serious." He's starting to scare me now.

"Jake... what's wrong?" There's a moment of silence. "I'm pregnant." He says in a dramatic tone.

"You're such an asshole, Jake Robert Rivers." I use his full name when I'm mad, serious, or annoyed with him. "Okay okay I'm sorry. I actually do have news and it's good."

"What is it?" I ask with an annoyed expression from his silly stunt he just pulled. "It's been a long time since my family and I've seen you so... we decided to come for a little vacation back to our hometown!" I hear the excitement in his voice and instantly know he isn't lying. He barely gets excited for much. "No way?! Ugh I cannot wait to see you and your family again!"

He laughs, "Where do you live now?" I should mess with him a little too because of what he did earlier. "I don't give out my address out just like that J." He groans in frustration. "I'm not a stranger! And all I'm saying is that your house better be close to our old houses. I still want to see my neighbor." He says with attitude and sass.

"Woah there. Chill with the sappy tone. And yeah I live like fifteen minutes from our old homes. It's a few minutes away from the hospital nearby. I'll send you the location later." I yawn.

"No problem K, hey I gotta go and finish packing. We're coming in a few days. Don't fall asleep on the road okay?" He says in a stern voice. "Yeah I know. Sorry it's just been a really long day and I just want to sleep." I pull up and park in my garage.

"I understand. See you soon. Bye K!" I smile and lock my car before unlocking my front door to my house. "See you soon. Bye J!" I exclaim as I close and lock the door behind me. I walk straight upstairs while hanging up my phone.

I officially hate stairs now.

I open the door to my bedroom and flop on the bed instantly, drained and tired from this hectic day. I can't help but think about Leonardo and Lorenzo's outrageous request for me to work for them. It's crazy. Like really crazy.