Fifteen

Lorenzo:

As I set up the ridiculously overpriced dining table with expensive plates and golden silverware, my brain runs miles an hour thinking about how this dinner is going to go. Why did I allow this to happen? What will my family think of her? What will they think she is to me?

I place the last shiny utensil down on the table and walk into the kitchen where all the delicious fumes are being produced from. "Wow, hey mom. When did you come?" I walk over to her side and lean my lower back on the marble counters while I watch her stir liquid in a big stainless steel pot.

"Oh hi honey. Your father and I just arrived twenty minutes ago. I told him to go check what your sister has been up to since then, but he hasn't come back yet." I chuckle. "You told him? Or he ran up to his princess's room without any word?" My mother cracks a smile as her brown eyes remain on her cooking. "You know your father. He will always have a soft spot for Sophia."

Sophia has always been the little princess of the family. My father adores her. He loves her so much, that he forgets his other kids exist.

"Yeah I know mom." She gives me a small smile and tiptoes to kiss my cheek, which causes me to crack a cheesy grin. Leonardo and I have always been her baby boys. And we always will be. Whenever we got hurt, we would run to mom. Whenever father tortured us, we would cry for her. Whenever our father would abuse us, mostly with his words, we ranted to our mother. That was until he found out and threatened to beat us if we ever go to her again.

"Hey Enzo. Hey mom. What are you doing?" Alexandro questions as he walks to the other side of my mother. Because Alex, Leonardo, and I all grew up together. My mom has become his. His mother never really made time for him, but my own did. We all met because our fathers had a meeting for the mafia and Alexandro's dad brought him, and coincidentally Leo and I were there as well. One short small talk turned into a million, and we all became best friends in less than an hour.

"Oh hi honey! I'm making Tuscan Kale and Squash Minestra." (A type of Italian soup.) He hums in satisfaction. "My favorite."

"It's everyone's favorite." I correct and I catch another beautiful smile form on my mom's face. "Colpa mia. Is there a special occasion?" (My bad.) The sentence that slipped out of Alexandro's lips causes my mother to stop stirring the soup and gazes dead into his pupils. "Hai dimenticato tesoro?" (Have you forgotten honey?) I can hear the slight annoyance in the tone she chose to use.

All this idiot does is stare, trying to piece together the puzzle he only has one bit of. If my mother wasn't standing less than two feet away from us, I would have bashed his head in right about now from how stupid he is. "La fottuta cena di famiglia, ricordi?" (The fucking family dinner, remember?)

I feel a hard slap come in contact with my left bicep, causing my other hand to rub and massage at the aching muscle. "Your language Lorenzo!"

"Jeez okay I'm sorry mom!" This is the only woman I will let hit me and let it slide. The only negative to it is that this lady hits hard.

"Oh crap. I totally forgot!" Alexandro books it out of the kitchen and runs up the painful amount of stairs. I mentally laugh when I hear the stomps from his feet on the steps come to a stop so suddenly. We all hate these damn staircases.

"Is there anything else you need help with mom?" She thinks as she hums. "I don't think so honey. Thank you. Go get ready, and I'll stay down here and finish the meals." I give her a quick nod and take long strides to the elevator, not wanting to have to go through a panting mess that Alex is dealing with right now.

I push the elevator button with an arrow pointing up and then press my room floor. I look to my right at my reflection in the mirror walls while the doors close. I feel the tiles beneath me gravitate up along with me and I wait.

As I study my mirrored self, I begin to fix the few stray hairs out of place on my head. "Damn, do I always look this good?" I whisper to myself.

My attention gets taken away from my reflection when the sound of the doors sliding open fills my ears. I step out of the elevator and head straight to my room to get ready.

I immediately rip the entry way open when I reach my closet and stand there in annoyance. This is so stupid. Dressing up for a family dinner is ridiculous.

I decide on a white dress shirt, leaving a few top buttons undone, black pants, and black shoes

I decide on a white dress shirt, leaving a few top buttons undone, black pants, and black shoes. I know my father will be in some overly expensive suit because it's "more appropriate." He can go fuck himself.

I tame my messy jet black hair once again that got ruined from running my hands through it. It's a habit I've developed ever since I was young and it still has decided to continue on which annoys the hell out of me.

Right when I fling my door open in frustration, my sister comes running to me and attempts to wrap her tiny arms arms around my torso. "Yes Sophia?" I wait for her response as I start to stroke her black hair.

"Nothing. I just wanted a hug, and I missed you." This little girl has me wrapped around her finger at all times and I despise it. "I missed you too Sophia. Now let's go downstairs and eat okay?" Her brown eyes meet mine and she gives me the biggest grin. "I can't wait!" She exclaims at the same time she skips down the stairs.

"She has too much energy for me to handle most of the time." I think to myself as I follow her down the staircase. I have to fight my urges to throw myself off to avoid doing another one of these silly formal dinners with my family.

Sophia grabs my hand while we reach the last step together and drags me into the dining room where everyone is already seated. I inhale the delicious aroma created by the multiple Italian dishes displayed on the table that my mom made.

"Vanilla panna cotta! My favorite! Thank you mamma!" (Mommy!) My sister squeals and jumps into the empty seat beside our father and mother.

I catch a glimpse of an untaken seat between Leonardo and Alexandro and make my way to sit down. I pull the chair out and squat to be seated, but the sound of the ring from the doorbell caught my whole family's attention. Including mine. That was when I realized I fucked up.

Holy shit. I forgot Kalani and Kade are supposed to be having dinner with us too, and I didn't say anything to my father and mother yet.