Nineteen

Lorenzo:

After the shitshow that went down at my last family dinner, I have been buried in work. Mostly trying to find the person who tried to kill me the day Kalani and I first crossed paths.

Enough about her, you hopeless romantic.

I mentally roll my eyes at my own thoughts, knowing how much sarcasm went into the last two words. I have never cared for love, or ever wanted it. Never found the time to even think about it really. Love is just a distraction, and a weakness. When you are in a mafia as big as the one I rule, enemies are looking for anything that can break you down. And I won't tolerate or allow that to ever happen.

I am searching through Vince's family and any acquaintances that he ever had. Who's someone I can use for leverage? Vince and I have been rivals ever since we came out of the womb. Our family feud has been past down from generations, to generations. It just so happens to be that the current Russian Mafia leader and I have the biggest problem with each other. Actually... he has the biggest problem with me. He knows I am better in every way, and that is why he is striving to be at the top all the time. Very pathetic if you ask me.

Every ruler wants to be the leader of all leaders. At least that is how it works in the mobster world. I proved that I deserved my spot as the Don, and I will be damned if I let some wannabe like Vince take over all the blood and sweat my family dropped.

Vince Ivanov is just a year older than me. Probably another reason why he is so pissed that I am the more successful one. I take a look at my computer screen. A list of his family members has been sent to my email two minutes ago.

Perfect.

A smirk creeps upon my face. I click on his mother's information. A few months ago he tried to take my own mother from me as leverage. So this is just payback.

I grab my phone and start to dial Alexandro. After a few rings, he decides to answer. "What do you need boss?"

Even though Alex and I have been good friends since ever since, he still calls me boss because he works for me. Does he like it? No, because it deflates his ego. Do I like it? Yes, because it boosts my ego, knowing the kind of power I have over him. The thought of it increases my mood every day by just one percent.

"I need you to take care of Brittany Ivanov. Vince Ivanov's mother." I can just envision the smirk on his face right now. "Track her down. Bring her to warehouse two. I've waited long enough to get my revenge on Vince after all the shit he's put this Mafia through. Think of it as an eye for an eye."

"No need to explain. You got it boss." I hang up after that last sentence leaves Alexandro's mouth. My back hits my leather office chair and a relieved sigh follows. After this, I know Vince is going to come for blood. Particularly, my blood. But this time, I'll be ready for him.

____________________

Two hours pass while I get some paperwork for recruiting done. After firing the boys I had the day of the shooting, I knew I had to gather actual men to be apart of this mafia. I can't and won't allow something like the shootout happen again. Soon, all one hundred male recruits are background checked and will be put to the test tomorrow.

There are some females that were recruited but they won't be with me personally. I'm not a sexist, but a mafia boss having a female bodyguard, as a man is quite emasculating.

Alex bursts through the door in a hurry, "I have Brittany held and guarded at warehouse two just like you asked." I slowly look up from my laptop. "What have I said about your manners and not knocking?"

I just notice now that he's bouncing side to side and looks about ready to jump up or out the door. "What? You gotta piss?" I try not to grin. This has happened quite a few times and me being me, stalling has been my second best friend to make my first best friend suffer.

Alexandro groans and grips the door, "No! I have to take a shit! And I would've if Ivanov's security wasn't so high! Now are you done?!" I couldn't hold back my smile anymore. "No restrooms available huh?" Everyone knows they cannot leave my office or sight unless I dismiss them, so seeing him in agony like this makes my blood boil a little less.

"No there weren't! You have this big ass house and not one bathroom is unoccupied?! Questa è una stronzata!" ("This is bullshit!")

"Well apparently everyone is also having a shitty day. Sei licenziato." ("You are dismissed.") Alex practically runs out of my room, slamming the door behind him. At least he did what I told him to do.

Now, what to do with Vince's little wife? I chuckle a bit as visions of Alexandro running through the halls to find a toilet pop up in my head, but then realize... that fucker is going to use my restroom. I just know it.