Proposal

{Six months later}

Aaron

I slam my head on my desk and Dave sighs. I grumble to myself and only look up when Dave flicks the top of my head.

"Aaron the longer you wait the harder it's going to be." Dave says and I slam my head on my desk again.

"I don't want to fuck this up."

"You won't, Spencer loves you but you have to do it or he's going to start worrying about you more than he already does." He says.

"Why?" I sit up and look him in the eye and he tips his head towards the windows that overlook the bullpen and I see Spencer looking over at us along with Penelope and the worry is written all over his face as Penelope appears to be trying to reassure him.

"Okay, I get your point. But what if he hates it?"

"We went over this already. He loves you and you love him. If it comes from the heart he will love it no matter what because it speaks volumes about who you are as a person." He says and I sigh.

"Do you really think he'll like it?"

"Yes, and if I hear another word of self doubt come out of your mouth in relation to this topic I'll have him come up here and smack you for it or I'll do it and tell him why later." Dave says before standing up and walking out of my office.

I set to work on finishing up my paperwork before getting it all done and heading home early enough to get everything ready.

"Spencer has called me a few times and I haven't answered, so when he calls again I decide to answer him to calm him down.

"Hey."

"Hey? Really is that what you have to say after leaving so suddenly and then not answering me?"

"I'm sorry, I just had things that I had to get done at home and I couldn't answer the phone."

"..........."

"Spencer I'm sorry. I don't mean to worry you. I love you."

"I love you too. Just don't scare me like that. I thought that you might have......"

"I might have what?"

"I thought that you might have left so early so you could kill your self without anyone being there to stop you or get you help."

Shit, I didn't even think about that. Of course he thought that I might have done that considering my odd behavior, my history, and not answering his phone calls.

"God no! That's it what I left to do at all. I'm so sorry that I gave you the wrong idea. Please forgive me?"

"It's okay and you're forgiven, I just didn't want to think that you were gone and I never got the chance to try and talk you out of it or be there to save you."

"No, no. God no, that would never be the case. I love you too much for that."

"I'm glad. I'll be home soon."

"I await your arrival. I'll see you when you get here."

"I'll see you soon. I love you."

"I love you too."

The call ends and I set my phone on the counter. Hopefully all of this goes well. I can't believe I gave him the wrong impression. Well I can but it doesn't make me any less upset with myself.

I glance at my wrist and mental slap myself for thinking of doing it. I made a promise to myself and to Spencer that I would try and stop. I intend on fulfilling that promise and stop once and for all.

{Later when Spencer got home}

Spencer walks in and set his bag on one of the chairs and walks over to me. I pull him in for a kiss and we stand there for a moment just enjoying being with the other.

When he takes a step back he studies me and I stare back at him until his shoulders relax and he breathes a sigh of relief.

"So what had you come home so early?" Spencer asks and I rub the back of my neck. His posture seems to change and I have to try and calm my nerves.

"Let's eat dinner first and then we'll talk."

"Okay?" He says and I get dinner and set it down before serving him some and then getting my own serving and sitting down.

We eat quietly and he keeps looking up at me from time to time. When we finish I clean everything off and do the dishes as he walks up behind me and warps his arms around me.

"Dinner was great, thank you." He says and I turn my head just enough to look back at him and smile.

"I'm glad you liked it."

"So what did we need to talk about?" He asked as I dry off my hands. I turn and and walk out of the kitchen and he follows me.

I shove my hands in my pockets and rock on my heals a bit as he looks at me questioningly.

"Aaron what's going on?" He asks and nervousness seeps into every word. I pull my hands out of my pocketbook and walk close to him and grab his hands.

"Spencer please forgive me in advance if you hate me for what I'm about to say."

He just looks at me and I take that as my signal to continue on.

"When we started dating I was never sure that this was ever going to last considering the 11 year age gap and many other factors. But I won't lie when I say that you took my heart. "

"When I needed you the most when it came down to dealing with my inner demons, you helped me get through it and never made me feel bad for giving in and being weak."

"That's because you're not." He says and cut me off a bit and I smile.

"Yes, I've come to realize that with your help. You have made me a better man then I ever could have imagined and I can't thank you enough for that."

"Aaron what is the meaning of all of this. I love it but, why?" Spencer asks me and steps closer.

"Spencer I love you and I will never be able to show you just how much I truly do, but maybe this will give a bit of an idea."

Spencer

Aaron lets go of my hands and gets down on one knee and pulls as small box out of his left pocket.

I stare at him shocked as he opens the box and inside is a ring. I feel tears fall down my face and I can't help but smile.

"Spencer will you do me the honor of making me the happiest man alive, and marry me?" Aaron asks and I pull him up from the floor and kiss him deeply.

"Nothing would make me happier." He smiles and puts the ring on my finger before pulling me in for another kiss.

I smile and rest me had on his shoulder and he does the same to me. We stand there and I can't help the overwhelming feeling of finding true happiness.

"How do we explain away this one?"

"I don't know." He says and I move my head a bit and kiss his cheek.

"Do you just want to tell them?"

"Are you sure?" He asks and moves his head to look at me. I place a hand on the side of his face and smile.

"We don't have to if you're not ready, but we'll have to tell them eventually."

"I know. If you're ready to tell them about us, then I'm ready." He says and I look into his eyes to see if he really wants to go through with this, and nothing in them tells me otherwise.

"We can do it later. For now why don't we just enjoy ourselves and spend time together away from the topic of work?"

"That sounds like a great idea to me." He says and we walk to the couch to watch whatever we find interesting and enjoy being with each other without any other thought in the world.