Twenty-six

A/N: Who likes the anniversary cover?

-

Y/N = Your Name

-

Your POV

Several hours have gone by with no word from the doctors or police about Dom. Every time someone walks past the door, my body shoots up in bed instinctively, hoping, praying to catch a glimpse of my brown-haired, emerald-eyed angel.

I glance at the clock again, watching as the minute hand ticks and ticks and ticks. I groan and fall back onto my pillow.

"Where is he? They said I could see him!" I say, frustration building up inside me like an overly inflated balloon ready to burst.

"Honey, you need to be resting." My mom tells me from my bedside, her thumb rubbing the back of my hand in a weak attempt to soothe my mind.

I sigh deeply and close my eyes, little memories from the last few days seeping through the amnesia. The way he smiled at me, free from hospital walls for the first time in years. The way his body moved against mine in our most intimate moments. How did everything go from amazing to a fucking disaster so fast?

"How long has you two been seeing each other. " My mom mutters breaking the silence in the room. Distress is evident in her voice.

I open my eyes and stare at the wall in front of me. "Since early July." I say, almost monotone.

"You've been romantically involved with this boy for over a month and kept it from us?" My mom asks sounding hurt, but why wouldn't she be.

"It wasn't supposed to be happening. If anyone found out I would have lost my job." I reply, my heart heavy recounting in my head all of the times Dom and I shared of forbidden affection within the confines of the institution.

"At any point did you think about how dangerous it was to be involved with your patient? Especially with how sick he is?"

"No." I state. Because it's true, I never saw Dom the way everyone else did. His darkness never scared me, I thought I was invincible. I thought I had everything under control. God was I wrong.

Silence is heavy in the room, I look over to my dad, who is blankly staring at his feet. His face is stone cold, his body is here, but his mind clearly miles away. I sigh and look down at my hands, dirt and blood caked under my fingernails.

"I just fell in love with him and let myself be in love with him. I never meant for all of this to happen." I mutter out, tears threatening to fall from my eyes again.

My gaze darts over to the door as it opens slowly. A doctor accompanied by a police officer walks in. My eyes lock with the male doctor's, waiting for him to say something.

"Dominic's parents are on a flight from the UK, they've also agreed to let you see him." The doctor states.

"They aren't taking him back, are they?" I say, my heart sinks. Please don't take him away from me.

"No, since he's detained on attempted murder charges, he can't leave San Francisco. But since he's a minor, he can't be interrogated without his parents present." The officer chimes in.

"Drop the charges." I spit out.

"Y/N," My dad speaks up for the first time.

"We can't do that." The officer states.

"Why not? I'm the victim, and I'm saying he didn't try to kill me, so drop the charges!" I shout, anger building up inside me. This isn't fair. Fuck this isn't fair!

"The case can be disputed in court later on once we know what happened, but for now, he has to stay detained until questioning. " The officer explains, clearly exasperated.

I look down at my hands again trying to control my emotions and focus on what's important right now.

"Let me see him. Now, please. " I demand.

The room is silent for a moment before the doctor speaks up again.

"Mom, Dad, would either of you want to be present." He asks.

"I'll go." My mom says, getting up from the chair at my bedside.

Suddenly, a nurse walks in, pushing a wheelchair. She walks over to me and helps me out of bed into the chair.

"You have a pretty bad concussion honey, so you shouldn't be walking." She explains, as she settles me into the wheelchair.

My heart beats faster as the nurse pushes me out of the room. My mom stays by my side as we make our way down the halls of the hospital. The doctor and officer trail behind.

I'm coming, baby. I'm coming back for you.

-

Third Person POV

"How could you let this happen in your facility?" A detective questions Dr. Brismall.

The conference room of the hospital is cold and dull, but Brismall is in the hot seat.

"I knew the risk I was running when I let her work with Dominic, but I was confident that she could help him." He says admittedly.

"But as a professional, why would you take such a huge gamble?" The detective asks.

"This boys whole life is a gamble. He's been in Langley Porter for over a year and no specialist has been able to get through to him. Every treatment up to this point has been a gamble. Y/N is brilliant, her skill in this field is way more advanced at 16 than some who have worked in my institution for over a decade. I really trusted her to keep things professional. Jesus christ, they hid their relationship so well I didn't suspect a thing."

"Academic brilliance or not, you put a hormonal teenage girl with a teenage boy who is a master manipulater!" The officer states matter of factly.

"I can't make you see it the way I did. I didn't think she'd become infatuated with him." Brismall says with a sigh.

"You really thought Harley Quinn wouldn't fall in love with Joker?" The officer says.

"This isn't a comic book trope officer. This is these children's lives." Brismall says sternly.

"I just don't understand Doctor."

Dr. Brismall sighs.

"Me neither."