Thirty

Y/N = Your Name

Y/L/N = Your Last Name

-

Your POV

"Pregnant? Y/N, you're 16!" My mom shouts, the noise echoing off the walls of the exam room.

"Are you sure? There's gotta be some mistake." I say, disbelief is an understatement. How can I be pregnant?

"Y/N, it's no mistake." Dr. Campbell sighs.

"You were intimate with this boy? How long ago was this?" My mom questions, and it hits me.

The last weekend we were together, the days before Grandview. God, how could I forget? We were intimate more times than I could count that weekend.

"It was the weekend of the incident." I mutter, the situation finally setting in. I'm pregnant. And Dominic's the dad.

Oh my god.

"Jesus christ." My mom exhales dramatically, placing a hand over her mouth in disbelief.

"So much happened that weekend, and afterwards. God, I was on so much medication for weeks. Is the baby okay?"

My mom shoots her gaze back up to me, eyes wide like I've said the worst thing ever.

"You're wanting to keep it?" She shouts again.

"I don't know, mom! What am I supposed to do in this situation?" I yell back.

"Okay, Mrs. Y/L/N, Y/N, I understand you're both in shock right now, but we've gotta make sure she's healthy before any other decisions are made." Dr. Campbell says, attempting to defuse the situation. Like throwing gasoline on fire because you mistook it for water.

"Now, Y/N, we'll need to do further testing to check the wellbeing of the baby. I'm gonna order for blood tests and an ultrasound, and we'll schedule you to see the OB/GYN this week." Dr. Campbell says in a soft, comforting voice. I nod as he sits back down at the computer.

"Do you know who the father is?" Dr. Campbell asks, and I stare at my ground in shame? Embarassment?

"Yeah, I do. I've never- been with anyone else. Sexually I mean." I stutter and trip over my words, my heart beat is loud in my ears, a deafen tap, tap, tap.

"His name?" Dr. Campbell presses on. "I need to put it in your file." 

"Oh, um, right, uh, Dominic. Dominic Harrison." I mumble, not daring to look over at my mother.

"Are you still with him?" The questions keep coming. Is this really necessary for medical records?

"Uh, no, um. He's in the hospital right now. He has been for years." I reply, realizing how insane I sound.

"What?" Dr. Campbell says, clearly confused. Obviously.

"He's in Langley Porter. He's been there for years. Do you really need to know all the details?" I almost snap.

"No, I don't. It just doesn't say you were ever admitted to Langley Porter in your file." He replies, scrolling through my records on the computer.

"Because I wasn't! Okay, I worked there, and we fell in love like some serious Harley Quinn and Joker shit and I broke him out, and we had sex okay?" This time, I do snap. I don't mean to. This is all just too much.

The room is silent. Too silent. The kind of silence that makes your ears ring because of the lack of noise.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell. I just- I know it sounds crazy." I sigh.

"No, Y/N, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring up any sensitive topics." Dr. Campbell says apologetically

"It's all very sensitive." I mumble, staring at the ground again.

"The nurse will be shortly to take your blood." He says, clearing his throat and leaving the room.

Silence falls upon the room again when my mom and I are left alone.

"I didn't know, mom. I wasn't thinking. I'm sorry." I mutter.

"Oh honey, no, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell, I'm just shocked." My mom says, getting up from her seat and walking towards me. She grabs my hand and kneels down to meet my gaze.

"And whatever you decide to do, I will support you." She says softly.

"And what about dad? He basically recoils when I say Dom's name." I question. God, dad's gonna lose it.

"You let me handle your father, okay? We had you when we were young too, not as young as you but not much older either. He'll come around." She says, her voice soothing like a warm blanket.

I nod, and she pulls me in for a hug, her embrace quickly calming my anxiety.

"I've gotta tell Dominic, but I'll never be allowed to see him. I'm not even allowed to call him."

"Don't worry about that right now, honey. We'll find a way for you to speak to Dom once we know that you and your baby are healthy. That's what's important right now." She reassures. I nod weakly again, so thankful for her at this moment.

"I love you honey." She says, placing a soft hand against my cheek.

"I love u too mom." I reply, offering a small, but genuine smile.

I place a hand on my stomach, rubbing small circles over my shirt.

There's really a baby inside me.

Me and Dom's baby.