One

Y/N = Your Name

Y/F/N = Your Full Name

Y/E/C = Your Eye Color

-

Your POV

Today may be the most important day of my entire life. Today is the day that I start my summer internship at Langley Porter Psychiatric Hospital.

Now you may be wondering why I'm looking forward to working at a mental institution, considering it's usually not something that people are excited about. But for me, it's a huge milestone in my life.

Ever since middle school I've been fascinated with psychology. I did endless research on mental disorders and read every book I could find on the topic. When I eventually reached high school, I had made the final decision to pursue a career in psychology. I took every psych class possible, and gave them my all.

But this past year, my junior year, is really when all my hard work payed off. Because of my excellence in psychology classes, I was offered a summer internship at a psychiatric hospital in my town of San Francisco. This of course is a huge opportunity, and could be the beginning of my entire career. 

I park my car outside of the large facility and gather my documents before heading inside. I check in with the lady at the front desk who tells me I'll be meeting with Doctor Brismall, the head doctor here. She gives me the directions to his office and I thank the receptionist before making my way to Dr. Brismall's office.

After navigating my way through the ivory colored halls I finally reach the navy blue door with a plaque that reads "Dr. Simon Brismall".

I open the door and peak inside.

"Dr. Brismall?" I ask as I open the door.

"Ah yes, you must be Y/N, come on in." The man at the desk says enthusiastically.

I sit down in an empty chair opposite to the doctor.

"I brought my documents from my psychology classes." I say handing him the folder.

"Yes, wonderful!" He says cheerfully, taking the folder.

We take care of all the typical paperwork and Dr. Brismall gives me my temporary ID that reads "Dr. Y/F/N" and the materials I'll need for my work.

"Now that we've gotten all of that out of the way, allow me to show you where you will be spending most of your time here." He says before we get up from our chairs and leave his office.

He leads me down the quiet halls of Langley Porter.

After a short walk we reach a section of the building labeled by a sign that reads "Adolescents Ward".

"This is the Adolescents Ward, you will be working with the patients here. I believe that the patients here may have an easier time opening up to someone who is around their own age." He explains.

I nod as he continues.

"We have about 20 patients in the general ward and one in the Adolescents ICU, but you won't be working in the ICU."

"Who's in the ICU?" I ask curiously as we approach the end of the hall of general patient rooms, and turn down the hall to the Adolescents ICU.

We stop in front of the one occupied room in the hall that appears to be locked from the outside.

"Dominic Harrison, 17 year old boy, diagnosed with severe psychotic disorder, maybe the worst case we've ever dealt with. He's from the UK but he was sent to the states because he wasn't able to receive the help he needed back home." Dr. Brismall explains.

I look through the window on the door which is guarded on the other side with metal bars, the window locked shut. My eyes land on a dark haired boy in the corner of the padded room, he is restrained in a straitjacket and seems to be zoned out, staring completely into the air.

To the normal person, such a sight would be disturbing, however after all the years of research I've done on mental illnesses, I'm no stranger to the extremity of such illnesses, even psychosis.

"Why do you have him restrained and isolated?" I inquire assessing the situation.

"He's considered a threat to himself and others. It's for everyone's safety, including his own." Dr. Brismall explains as I continue to gaze into the room.

As I watch the boy in the corner he begins to turn his head towards the window I am gazing through. A pair of bright green eyes lock with my own Y/E/C eyes.

A smirk creeps onto his face as he looks back at me, then he looks away.

"But you won't have to work with him, so you don't have to be concerned." Dr. Brismall says as I turn away from the door, facing him.

"Who does work with him?" I ask curiously.

"Well as of right now, no one. All of the specialists we've called in to work with him, weren't able to help him. We are currently searching for a highly trained psychiatrist who specializes in psychotic disorders to come in and work with him. But we aren't having much luck right now. I currently handle his daily routine therapy sessions, but unfortunately that's all I can do for him, as I am not a specialist." He explains.

I nod and turn back to the door, peering through the window.

Dominic is in the same corner, but now he is rocking back and forth, his head looking to the ground and his legs against his chest.

"Well come, I will take you to where you will start your work for today." Dr. Brismall says and I nod, following him back to the general adolescents ward.