Chapter 27: Mistake

"I'm sorry," was the only thing that slipped out of the pink-haired's mouth. "I have to be somewhere else."

Naruto Uzumaki was left in the table as Sakura walked away. He massaged his temples, propping his back against the chair, sighing. The blond had a pain-filled expression, but Sakura's actions did not actually shock him. He knew from the beginning that he could fall in love with anyone else, but Sakura was off limits, because Sasuke owned her.

Naruto was always aware of his developed feelings towards the pinkette, yet he eventually tried to let go because he knew that Sasuke was the one capable of making her happy. In addition, yes, he also knew that he has no chance of winning the girl's heart.

He looked like a total fool. He was desperately chasing for Sakura, when clearly, she cannot love him back as much as he does.

Some of Naruto's work mates knew his real affection towards Sakura, and it annoyed them that the Naruto Uzumaki was looking so hopeless just because of this certain lady.

She was a mistake, they say. His feelings for her was a mistake, a sin, a misunderstanding. He was just blind. Those people insisted that Naruto only felt sympathy for her because of what she was going through.

But no.

For him, Sakura was not a mistake. He knew very well that he was the one at fault here; he chose to fall for her despite of being knowledgeable about her affection for Sasuke.

For him, he was the mistake.

***

Ino Yamanaka watched her helper leave after closing her flower shop. She looked up the sky; it was dark as usual, however there was no stars shining.

The blonde walked away, the cold air touching her shoulders. The streets were quiet, and mostly all the house lights around were off. It kind of made Ino uncomfortable, it was just seven-thirty but it felt like she was walking in the streets at midnight.

But even so, her baby blue eyes managed to spot a familiar guy in the darkness. Her chest felt tight just by the mere presence of that guy. She couldn't have mistaken, it was definitely him.

"Sasuke.."

Ino gaped at the male while he walked and turned to the right, making her react swiftly to his actions. She ran to him before he could completely vanish to her sight.

"Wait! Sasuke-"

However, she did not see him. He disappeared. It was most likely impossible for him to escape that fast even if he ran since their distance between each other wasn't very big.

"Am I hallucinating or.." The blonde mumbled in confusion.

She swallowed the lump stucked in her throat and began to stroll to her destination.

All throughout her way, the only question on her head was, did she really see him or was she just imagining things?

Ino made it to her house safely but still lost in her deep thoughts. Once she opened the door, she turned on the lights, and saw a small note sticked to the wall beside the clock.