Chapter 28: Handful of Surprises

"Mr. Uchiha, here's your coffee," Yumi, a regular employee of Sasuke's company, politely said as she placed down the cup of coffee on the table.

Itachi shot his head up and smiled, "You shouldn't have bothered since I'll be leaving in a few minutes, but thank you."

"It's no problem, sir," She smiled back, "And if it's okay, may I ask a question?"

The Uchiha took a sip of the coffee, wiping his mouth softly with a handkerchief. He placed down the cup and nodded as a response.

Yumi cleared her throat before answering back, "W‒Well you see, most of us here would like to... uhm, we would like to know if sir Sasuke would be back soon..."

Her question didn't surprise him, he knew that Sasuke's employees were upset and worried that he's been missing for so long. Despite that, a small crease in his forehead was evident, but it soon went away.

Due to his silence, Yumi became nervous and worried that she might have been too nosy. "E‒Err, never mind. I'm sorry for asking―"

"No," Itachi emphasized. "Sasuke will be back anytime soon, he's just busy with the current project for the company."

"I‒I see."

"Well, I need to go now." He stood up from his seat, "If some of you are having problems here in the corporation, you know how to contact me. I'm just at my office."

Yumi became speechless at his sudden kindness, but still managed to mumble a thank you. After that, the Uchiha walked to the exit.

"By the way, Yumi-san," He spoke up again before leaving. "He'll probably be back after a few days. His office is open again, so expect him to be here soon."

After a few seconds of processing what he stated, she heaved a sigh.

Earlier, Itachi gave the key to Sasuke's office. Since he was away, the employees had no rights to open his workplace without his permission. But yes, his brother opened his workroom and made the janitors clean it.

Meaning, he would be back.

Still, Itachi's 'excuse' wasn't believable anymore. Sure, every one of them believed that he was really working on a project when he went missing for some days, but as time goes by, of course no one would accept that reason anymore. First off, if he was really away for the sake of the company, he should have informed the workers. Second, the employees aren't that gullible to believe in such an obvious lie.

Yumi shook her head, going back to work but her mind was still lost in her deep thoughts.

***

I saw him, Sakura. I saw Sasuke.

The pink-haired lady tightly shut her eyes when Ino's voice played on her mind. She stared up the ceiling as she layed down her bed, clenching the blankets around her. Tears threatened to come out of her now lifeless emerald orbs, but she stopped herself from shedding a single tear.