|| 8. Classes

"Good morning, everyone!" Professor Sprout's cheerful voice filled the greenhouse, the students neatly lined up in front of their designated plants

"Good morning, Professor Sprout!" came the enthusiastic chorus from the students.

"Welcome, second years, to Greenhouse Three. Gather around, please!" Sprout gestured, prompting the students to approach the arranged plants. "Today's lesson is all about re-potting Mandrakes," she announced, producing a pot for emphasis.

"And as you're all eagerly anticipating your upcoming field trip to the Philippines," she continued, placing the pot on the table with a smile.

"Yes!" the students chimed in unison, their excitement palpable.

"Fantastic! Now, who can share with me the properties of the Mandrake root?" Sprout inquired, noticing Y/N and Hermione eagerly raising their hands.

"Yes, Miss Crimson?" Sprout acknowledged, nodding at Y/N, who couldn't hide a subtle smirk as Hermione let out a slight scoff.

"Mandrake root is known for its powerful restorative properties," Y/N began confidently, "It's used to create the Mandrake Restorative Draught, which can be used to cure petrification. The root must be matured to full growth before it's harvested and prepared for potions."

Hermione shot Y/N a slightly irritated glance, but Y/N just shrugged in response, enjoying the friendly competition.

"Very well put, Miss Crimson. And Miss Granger?" Professor Sprout turned to Hermione.

Hermione cleared her throat and replied, "Mandrake roots are also highly dangerous when young. Their cry can be fatal to those who hear it, causing them to become petrified. That's why earmuffs are essential when handling young Mandrakes."

"Excellent, both of you! Ten points to Gryffindor and Ravenclaw!" Professor Sprout praised. "Now, as you re-pot these Mandrakes, remember to handle them with care and to always wear your earmuffs. Let's get started!"

"I got it first," Y/N playfully nudged, earning an eye roll from Hermione.

"By a mere twist of fate," Hermione countered with a grin, Y/N chuckling in response.

"As our Mandrakes are still seedlings, their cries won't be fatal..." Sprout informed the class. "At least not yet!" she added with a wink. "But they can render you unconscious for quite a while. That's why I've provided you with earmuffs," she explained.

"Put them on right away, please. Quickly!" Sprout insisted, and the students wasted no time in donning their earmuffs. "Keep your attention on me," she directed, capturing the students' focus.

"Grasp your Mandrake firmly," she demonstrated, showing how to hold it by the root. "Then pull it sharply out of the pot," she continued, demonstrating the action. The Mandrake's cry began, and the students, despite their earmuffs, instinctively covered their ears.