|| 17. Polyjuice Potion

The four friends walked down the echoing corridors of Hogwarts

The four friends walked down the echoing corridors of Hogwarts. Ron broke the silence, his voice laced with weariness. "Do you think it's true? Do you think there really is a Chamber of Secrets?" Hermione rolled her eyes as she walked ahead.

"Yes, obviously," Hermione replied, her tone exasperated. "Couldn't it be more obvious? McGonagall was worried— all the teachers were, even Dumbledore!"

"But if there really is a Chamber of Secrets, and it has been opened, that means—" Harry began, concern in his voice.

"The Heir of Slytherin has returned to Hogwarts," Hermione finished his sentence for him. "The question is; who is it?" she murmured.

"Let's think. Who do we know thinks all Muggle-borns are scum?" Ron exclaimed, catching the attention of other students passing by. Their curious eyes fell on Y/N, who noticed their gazes, her jaw slightly clenched, assuming that they thought she had a disdain for Muggle-borns due to her pureblood status.

"If you're talking about Malfoy—" Hermione sighed out.

"Of course. You heard him!" Ron interjected. "You'll be next, Mudbloods," he quoted the boy's words.

"He said that?" Y/N murmured, Ron nodding.

"I really wasn't, if I did, Dumbledore would've—" Y/N attempted to explain, but Hermione cut her off, playfully cupping Y/N's cheeks and squishing her face. Y/N's confusion was evident as her brows furrowed.

"You're overthinking things, take a rest," Hermione reassured, a faint blush creeping onto Y/N's cheeks, rendering her momentarily speechless.

"I think I'm gonna barf," Ron's voice interrupted the moment, causing both girls to snap back to reality. Y/N turned to find Ron looking a bit queasy. However, their distraction didn't go unnoticed by Professor McGonagall, who stood nearby with crossed arms.

"Are you two girls going to continue your lover's quarrel, or are you going to pay attention?" McGonagall scolded them. Hermione's hands fell, her face now sporting a noticeable blush.

"Uh—sorry, Professor," Hermione murmured. McGonagall turned her attention back to her bird.

"As I said, we will be turning animals into water goblets," she declared, waving her wand and counting under her breath before tapping the bird with her wand.

"Vera Verto," McGonagall incanted. The bird transformed into an intricate glass goblet, eliciting gasps from the entire classroom.

"Mr. Weasley," McGonagall addressed Ron, walking up to the boy. "One, two, three, Vera Verto," she reminded him. Ron nodded, gripping his wand tightly and clearing his throat. Harry watched from beside him, Scabbers perched on a stack of books.

"Vera Verto!" Ron incanted. The transformation occurred, but not entirely. The mouse turned into a goblet, but it still retained its fur and its tail, and it squeaked in protest. The classroom erupted in snickers as Ron held up the peculiar goblet-rat with a disgusted expression.