Chapter 4

Sophie

I was exhausted as I scrubbed the second floor of the Villa harder; it had been two weeks now since I started working here at the Villa de Giovanni, and also two weeks of not even catching a glimpse of the Duke. It felt as if he was avoiding me, but I mentally shrugged that thought aside. I meant nothing to him, so why would he try to avoid me, a commoner?

After the scenario that occurred in his bedroom on the day that he arrived, I prayed never to see him again out of fear that he would get me sacked for disobeying the rules in the house.

I couldn't forget the way he looked me up and down with distaste; it was normal for people to look at me that way. I was used to it. Being dark-skinned does that to you, but regardless, I was proud of myself and of my skin color. Being the only dark-skinned person in the Villa was quite isolating, but I was already used to loneliness.

"Sophie, it's lunch break now," Fabiola announced through the two-way radio.

I immediately jumped to my feet as I put away the cleaning kit and made my way to the dining in the staff quarters.

If there was one thing that I was grateful for in the villa, it would be the good food that was served every day.

                           *         *        *

"Sophie, you're in charge of the master's bedroom today. After you're done eating, you can go there and clean it up," Fabiola instructed me.

"Yes, ma'am" I nodded as I continued eating

I felt my stomach curl into a tight knot as I overheard the other girls, maid gossiping as usual about me.

"I wonder why her butt's too big, and it doesn't suit her at all. Is that even normal" I heard Veronica say to her circle of friends who also work here at the Villa. She was so loud, probably to get my attention.
Veronica hated me so much and all for nothing, but I wasn't up for her daily shenanigans, so I simply ignored her just like I had been ignoring her ever since I began working here.
They all chuckled and continued talking about me.

I jumped on my feet and cleared my plate as I quickly picked up my cleaning kits, basket, and new sheets for the Duke's bedroom.

I opened the door to his vast bedroom slowly and quietly, I heard he wasn't around as usual, so I took to cleaning immediately so that I could leave.

I finished cleaning the bedroom and made my way to his bathroom. As I cleaned the black &gold standing shower, I mistakenly switched it on.

Within seconds I was already drenched in water.

"Gosh, am I cursed," I said with a slight frown on my face.

The Duke wasn't home, so I thought that I could take advantage of his absence by fixing my cloth so I wouldn't look stupid in front of Veronica and the other maids when I went downstairs.

I quickly took off my cleaning gown so I could squeeze the water out of it. I now stood in only my matching lingerie and sneakers.

But Nothing prepared me for what was to come from the decision I took at that moment.

What do you think will happen guys 👀??