Chapter 25

SOPHIE

Whoever said that silent tears bear the heaviest pain was unequivocally correct. I had shed so many tears that my reserves had run out, now manifesting as tiny sobs that threatened to shatter my heart at any given moment.

I had stealthily escaped the mansion back in Italy while Gio was away on business. I took painstaking care to remain unnoticed. Upon leaving the mansion, I made a beeline for the café where Abby and I first crossed paths, and from there, we headed to the airport. Abby had taken care of our flight reservations and all the accompanying necessities.

Our flight took off from Rome to France, then from France to Utah, and finally, from Utah to Montana. Throughout the twenty-hour journey, I sobbed behind my sunglasses, a shield against the world.

Abby had brought me to Montana, yet not to her family's home. It was filled with memories of her late parents, so instead, she rented a room for me in Livingston. Despite my insistent offers to cover the cost, she remained adamant that she wanted to ensure my safety and happiness, especially for the baby's sake. Abby was rarely around due to her job and the Spanish tycoon who had, according to her, bought the agency she worked for. Abby despised him, yet he was all she spoke about.

I gazed down at my swollen belly, the baby due next month. Yet, I had no plan, no strategy, only an endless stream of tears and a dwindling appetite. I missed Gio, but I also loathed him for his deception. I felt like a magnet for misfortune. I had to face the grim reality of my situation.

Now, I lay sprawled on the couch surrounded by discarded tissues, the glow of the TV illuminating the latest season of Bridgerton. The room was dim, having turned off the lights though it was just four in the afternoon. Scattered packs of Doritos and empty water bottles littered the table. I was still in the maternity gown I'd donned the previous day, my hair a disheveled mess, and I hadn't moved from the couch since yesterday. I was a mess, and I felt powerless to change it.

The doorbell's echoing chime startled me. I wasn't expecting anyone; Abby wouldn't be back until next week. As the doorbell rang again, I heaved myself up to answer it. As I opened the door, my eyes met a familiar pair, the same ones that haunted my dreams.

My heart stuttered as I glared at the intruder, anger bubbling in my veins. "What are you doing here, how did you find me?" I demanded, gripping the doorknob tightly. As I tried to close the door, Gio pushed back, causing the door to swing wide open as he sauntered in. He was dressed in a charcoal-colored suit, his expensive cologne permeating the air, the scent seared into my memory.

My face flushed with embarrassment as he surveyed the cluttered room. However, I reminded myself that I owed him nothing. We meant nothing to each other. "So, this is where you've been hiding, Strega," his voice, calm and gentle, grated on my nerves.

I turned away, retreating to the couch. "When you're done looking around, leave," I demanded.

"Pack your things; we're leaving," he declared, adjusting his cuffs.

"Get lost, Giovanni Accardi. Leave me alone," I spat, my voice raised.

He looked taken aback as he stared at me. I sank into the couch, turning to the TV. However, I was merely staring blankly at the screen.

"Sophie, don't test my patience. I am not a man to be trifled with, and you know it," he warned, looking down at me.

"News flash, Gio, I don't work for you. I owe you nothing, so you can't order me around. Or I'll call the police," I retorted.

"The police?" He scoffed, his handsome face hardened. "And what are you going to tell them?"

"For trespassing, Gio," I stated, not meeting his gaze.