Chapter 6

Sophie

I couldn't stop shivering; I didn't know if it was because of the water that had drenched me in the Duke's bathroom or the fact that we had kissed and he had touched me in a way that felt very foreign to me.

As I quickly undressed, my teeth chattered, and I eagerly put on dry clothes. While getting dressed, I still felt sensitive from the places the Duke had touched me.

It was six in the evening, signaling the end of my shift.

I needed to get home quickly so I could prepare dinner, I didn't want Helen's incessant yelling and now that her three daughters were back home from college, it meant double work for me.

I quickly put on my sneakers, retrieved my crossing bag and closed my locker, afterwards I made my way outside the mansion.

"Hello Sophie, do you need a ride?" I heard Gary the Gardener's son say as he was leaning against his father's pickup truck, wiping his brow with a well-worn handkerchief.

Gary would often visit from time to time to assist his father in the garden. We had crossed paths on two occasions, exchanged introductions, and I found him to be a pleasant individual. He appeared to be in his late twenties, and I learned from Fabiola that he was married with two daughters.

"Oh thank you, but I don't want to be a bother" I replied with a polite smile, grateful for the gesture.

"Oh you are not, besides it would be too lonely for me to drive alone" he insisted.

"Okay, thank you." I politely said with a smile

The door swung open, and the inviting interior welcomed me. Slipping into the passenger seat, I settled myself, taking in the familiar scent of a well-maintained vehicle. The comfortable upholstery embraced me, and the soft hum of the engine added a sense of reassurance.

I glanced at Gary, who sat behind the wheel, ready to drive me home. A warm smile crossed his face, revealing his genuine enthusiasm to be of assistance.

He played a classical piece that sounded delightfully pleasing to my ears.

"Are you a fan of Handel?" he asked me.

"No, I don't typically listen to classical music. I suppose I've never had the opportunity. But it's quite pleasing and comforting," I responded.

"Well, Handel happens to be my favorite composer of all time," he replied, a smile gracing his face.

I nodded, reciprocating with a brief smile.

"So, where do you live?" he inquired.

"I reside just across St. Brooks Street. You can drop me off at Jill's Bakery there," I informed him, mindful of avoiding any potential complications by being seen exiting his car by Helen or her daughters. I intended to walk home from the bakery to evade any issues.

"Alright, we'll be there in about fourteen minutes," he reassured me.

I nodded, allowing myself to relax into the comfort of the passenger seat as memories of the scorching afternoon spent with the Duke flooded my mind.

I gasped as I remembered how he grabbed my ass and sucked my nipple. I never knew one could feel such a way.

I smiled to myself as I dozed off in Gary's car

"Hey sleepyhead, we are here" I heard someone say and felt a slight tap on my shoulder.

I opened my eyes and saw that we were at Jill's bakery.
I thanked Gary and alighted from his truck, he waved at me and I waved back as he drove off.

As I trekked home, the memories of what I and the Duke shared kept replaying in my head.

I opened the door of the house and met Helen's furious gaze

"This is six thirty, why are you late" she said with a frown.

"Good evening mu-, Helen, I'm sorry. It won't happen again" I said

"It better not. Now go into the kitchen and prepare something for dinner. My girls and I are hungry" she said

I nodded politely as I walked into my room to drop my bag.

"Sophie, could you wash these clothes for me?" Amelia, my sister instructed me.

"Yes, after making dinner I'll wash them" I said as I collected the clothes from her.

"By the way, your hair looks awful, try stretching it" she added as she walked away.

I made my way into the kitchen to prepare dinner.

It was going to be a long night.

But I was already used to all of this.

                          *              *          *

It was eight in the morning, two days after the Duke and I had an encounter. As usual, I was already at the Villa, engrossed in my work routine. These past two days had been filled with agony, an intense craving for his touch that I knew was impossible, especially after witnessing him with a slim blonde who had come over to the villa. I recalled overhearing Veronica and her group of friends discussing how the blonde was a well-known model, who occasionally graced the Duke's bed.

I desperately needed to push thoughts of the Duke out of my mind. I understood deep down that I wasn't his type and could never be.

While I was disposing of the trash, the Chief guard of the Duke approached me. He recognized me and said, "Sophie, right?"

I nodded in confirmation.

"The Duke would like to see you in his bedroom now," he instructed, pointing towards the direction. "You might want to wash your hands first," he added, gesturing towards the trash can.

With a nod, I went to wash my hands, then made my way to the Duke's bedroom. My heart raced with a mix of curiosity and anxiety.

I knocked on his door

"Come in" he replied

I entered and closed the door behind me.

I looked to see the Duke sitting on his bed wearing a silk green robe.

"Good day sir" I greeted immediately with my head bowed.

"Raise you head up" he shot at me instantly

I looked up at him

Our eyes locked together

"Why do you torment me 'Strega',"

Stay tuned for more updates 😊🌻Give me a Follow if you are enjoying
SOPHIE & THE DUKE