Chapter 16

Sophie

𝖠t six o'clock in the evening, I awakened from my slumber. To my surprise, Gio was not beside me in bed, leading me to assume that he had left. As I sat up, still unclothed beneath the covers, I rubbed my weary eyes.

Just then, the sound of my door opening caught my attention, and Rosa entered the room carrying a tray of food.

"I thought you might be hungry, il mio bambino. I made you a bowl of pappa al pomodoro, a tomato and bread soup," she said, smiling as she placed it in front of me.

"Oh my goodness, it smells delicious," I exclaimed happily, realizing how hungry I was. "Thank you so much, signora," I added, reaching out to take a spoon.

She chuckled when she saw the duvet pulled down slightly, catching a glimpse of my breast.

"Rough afternoon, huh? Let me prepare a mixture of essential oils for your bath, but that will be after you finish eating," she playfully warned me.

"Yes, ma'am," I answered shyly, knowing that she was aware of what Gio and I had been doing all day. I mustered up the courage to ask her about him.

"Do you happen to know where Gio might be?"

"Oh, he went out, but he'll be back soon," she replied as she hurried away to get my bath ready.

***

It had been about two hours since I freshened up and ate. I was in the kitchen with Rosa, helping her prepare dinner. I was feeling bored and restless, as I always hated being idle. You know what they say;

'An idle mind tempts the devil to tempt it'

Rosa proved to be an enjoyable companion, and I found solace in her presence.

"So you live in the states?" she asked as we skillfully chopped vegetables together.

"Yes, I do,it's a nice place to live in, but I never felt like I truly belonged there" I confided in her.

"Such sentiments are not uncommon," she paused, her voice tinged with sorrow, "My daughter, when she was alive,  she used to say Italy was not for her, she felt as if a vital part of her essence resided in the states."

"I am so sorry about your daughter. I have experienced loss and it's something you never heal from '' I said and she nodded.

" However, did she ever have the opportunity to fulfill her aspirations of traveling to America?" I inquired.

"She did, but only for a brief period," she replied, her eyes welling up with tears. "But enough about my own experiences. I am curious, what about your family?". she asked, shifting the focus of our conversation.

"Well," I forced a smile, "I don't know who my biological parents are. When I was very young, a kind man found me on the streets and took me home. I have no idea where I come from. But I do have an adoptive mom and sisters, my adoptive dad passed away some years ago," I said, tears streaming down my face.

Rosa, understanding my pain, reached out to console me. "Oh, my dear child, you have endured so much. Come here, don't cry," she said, holding me in a tight embrace with my belly getting in the way.

Trying to lighten the mood, I half-jokingly blamed my tears on hormones.

"I suppose it's just the hormones acting up," I said, returning her hug and finding solace in the simple act of being held. 

"Let's finish getting dinner ready now, so the little one in your womb doesn't go hungry," she said with a laugh, as we continued our meal preparations side by side.

Suddenly, the chief butler, Diego, interrupted us, pointing. directly at me. "Signora, il duca è tornato, chiede della signora," he announced, indicating that the duke had returned and wanted to see me.

Rosa quickly translated his words for me, saying, "He said the duke is back and wants to meet with you."

Feeling a mix of excitement and curiosity, I removed my apron and said, "Okay, I'll be back shortly." However, Rosa assured me that dinner was nearly ready and that she and the other maids could handle it.

Grateful for her assistance, I smiled and followed Diego as he guided me to a room filled with baby items and neatly stacked cartons. As I took in the sight, a wave of disbelief and wonder washed over me, leaving me exclaiming, "Oh my goodness!"

The room was adorned with adorable baby things, from soft blankets and tiny garments to stuffed animals and rattles. The cartons, carefully arranged against one wall, revealed the anticipation and preparation that had gone into this space. It was a delightful surprise, as I hadn't expected such.

As I gently caressed a plush teddy bear and admired the delicate mobile hanging above the crib, I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed with a sense of joy and gratitude. The room radiated warmth and love, speaking volumes about the care and thoughtfulness that had gone into creating this haven for our growing family.

"Do you like it? Strega"

COMMENT "keep it up" IF YOU WANT ME TO CONTINUE WRITING?