Chapter 24

GIO

"What do you mean you can't find her?" I barked at my trusted aide, Alfonso, rage pulsing in my veins. Were he not so invaluable to me, I would have put a bullet in his chest by now.

"We've searched everywhere, your grace. Sophie is nowhere to be found," Alfonso reported, his voice tense over the phone line.

A significant meeting with major clients was in progress when I received Alfonso's text revealing Sophie's disappearance. I had to excuse myself, step out, and demand a detailed account.

"Engage every private investigator we have. Find Sophie," I commanded, my body rigid with fury and worry.

"Absolutely, sir," Alfonso responded, his voice steady.

"How could our security be so negligent? Fire everyone who was on duty last night. I have no use for incompetent fools," I roared into the phone.

"Yes, sir," Alfonso affirmed, just before I ended the call and stormed back into the meeting room. "Gentlemen, I apologize, but we'll need to reschedule this meeting," I announced, not waiting for their responses as I gestured for my personal assistant to follow me.

In this game, I held the cards. I had the freedom to act as I pleased.

Striding into my office, I loosened my tie. Pouring a stiff drink, I tried to suppress my rising panic. My mind was a whirlwind of worry. Where could Sophie be? Was she safe? Was the baby okay? Was this a kidnapping?

"Damn it!" I roared, hurling the glass against the wall, watching as it shattered into a thousand pieces. The sharp sound echoed my tumultuous thoughts.

I swiftly pressed the intercom, "Prepare my private jet. I'm flying to Italy today," I announced to my personal assistant through the device.

"Sophie, where are you?" I whispered to the empty room, sinking into my chair, my gaze fixed on some unseen point in the distance. "I can't lose you too." The words hung heavy in the air, a stark reminder of the fear gnawing at me.

****

As I entered the villa in Italy, Rosa darted towards me, her eyes puffy and red, a testament to the hours she had spent crying.
"Signor, lei è andata," she lamented, halting in front of me.
"Don't worry, Rosa, we will find her," I assured her, trying to instill a sense of hope.

"I... I found this in her room. I think she left it behind in her haste," she stammered, presenting a purple embroidered blanket, tears spilling from her eyes. I had only seen Rosa this distraught when she lost her daughter Lina. The depth of her grief confused me.

"Rosa, why are you so upset? What's wrong? You've only known Sophie for a short time. Why does her disappearance affect you so deeply?" I asked, my curiosity piqued.

"Because," she sniffed, "Sophie è mia nipote. She's my granddaughter, look," she gestured towards the blanket.

"What?" Shock pulsed through me at her revelation. Sophie did bear a familiar look, but how was this possible?

"Rosa, come here," I directed, leading her into my study. "Sit,now calm down and explain. How can Sophie be your granddaughter?, she's from the united States"

Rosa took a deep breath. "Shortly before my daughter Lina died, she visited me here in Italy. She told me she had given birth to a beautiful little girl," she revealed, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "She was so happy to be a mother. She even planned to bring the child back to Italy for me to raise, but after she left, she never returned alive, Gio," she sobbed, clutching the blanket. "I made this blanket for my granddaughter. Do you think it's a coincidence that Sophie has the same blanket and bears a striking resemblance to Lina and me?"

I was rendered speechless, my mind a whirlwind of shock and confusion. My investigations had indicated Sophie was found abandoned on the streets as a baby. How could she be Rosa's grandchild?

I rose, pouring myself a glass of water and staring out the window. I had been intimately involved with Rosa's granddaughter, even fathered her child. I felt overwhelmed.

But for now, finding Sophie was paramount.

"We will find her, Rosa, I promise you," I assured her, turning to face her.

Exiting the study, Alfonso was quick to follow. "Any new developments?" I asked.

"Sadly, no, sir, but we are on it," he responded just as his phone rang, interrupting our conversation.

I entered Sophie's room, my hands trembling. I had lost Anna, was I going to lose Sophie too? As I paced her room, my eyes fell on a golden brown paper tucked under the table lamp. As I unfolded it, a wave of anger surged through me.

"Arianna, and me? Jesus," I muttered, a surge of nausea overtaking me. "A wedding?" I immediately knew who was behind this - my mother. I quickly pulled out my phone and dialed her number.

Upon hearing her voice, I didn't hesitate to unleash my fury. "What have you done, Mama? What the hell have you done?"

"What do you mean, Gio? Isn't it a bit early for accusations from my dear son?" she replied, her tone casual.

"Don't lie to me. What have you and Arianna been planning?" I demanded, my body tensing. I could feel my sanity slipping.

"Gio, my son, you and I both know that Arianna is your best match in terms of marriage. Her family is wealthy and influential. Stop being so tense and prepare for your wedding with her. I assume you've seen the invitation?"

"How dare you, Mama. How dare you interfere in my life? What do you want? I am not – and will not – marry Arianna. So, put an end to any thoughts about that," I roared through the phone.

"You're overreacting and being disrespectful to your mother because of a negro, ah, Giovanni. You were never like this. You always did as I said. What happened to you?"

"Do not call her a negro. She's carrying my child. She's the one I want. For God's sake, I am sparing you because you're my mother, and I love you, but Arianna, I will teach her never to mess with me again," I retorted, cutting the call short.

My mind was a whirlwind of thoughts. Is this why Sophie left me? Did she think I was going to marry someone else?

"Cazzo," I muttered under my breath. My sweet Sophie, my Strega. Where are you? I need you now, please. I don't want to lose you like I lost Anna.

"Fuck" I yelled as I stared up at the ceiling "Help me stay calm, lord please" I muttered silently.

I know I've been cruel to her but please God, please keep her safe, I prayed silently.

"Sir, we've found some clues. CCTV camera at the airport captured her. We just found out that she took a flight to the States last night, connecting to Montana," Alfonso announced as he entered the room.

"Montana," I repeated, my voice barely a whisper.

Were you expecting Sophie to be related to Rosa???

Hello, my lovely readers! It has been a hectic month, with work and other responsibilities, but I promise to try my best to update this novel regularly. Your comments mean so much to me and serve as a great source of motivation. Thank you for sticking around and supporting me.

❤️
Tracy