CHAPTER 21

Gio

"Really?" My mother's incredulous tone was punctuated by the clatter of silverware. A frown instantly marred her otherwise unflappable appearance.
"Yes, Mama," I responded, my own frown mirroring hers. Her body language was an unspoken disapproval. I knew she was about to voice her objections, but I couldn't let her do that in front of Sophie.

"Absolutely not, Gio," she declared, discarding her napkin with a dramatic flourish. "Just because I accepted Luca's Ethiopian wife due to lack of alternatives does not mean I would permit you to entertain a similar notion." She rose from her seat, her expensive perfume filling the room. "I won't accept this."

"Mamma, puoi smetterla di dirle queste cose almeno davanti a lei," I addressed her in Italian, knowing Sophie wouldn't understand. My plea was simple: Mother, can you stop saying this in her presence?

I glanced at Sophie and could only watch as she held her cutlery, head bowed in silence.

"Rosa, portala fuori di qui," I instructed Rosa in Italian, asking her to take Sophie away. A private discussion was needed with my sharp-tongued mother who held no concerns about who got hurt in the process.

As Rosa led Sophie away, a surge of anger washed over me. "You didn't have to do that in her presence, Mama."

"You don't get to dictate my actions, Gio," she retorted. "I am your mother. Regardless of your worldly achievements, you remain my son, and you will heed my words."

"I didn't see you this upset when Luca married his Ethiopian wife. You asked me for a grandchild. That's exactly what I've done. What more do you want, Mama?" I questioned, my patience wearing thin.

"I asked for a grandchild, not another mixed one, not another bambino misto," she gestured dramatically, pacing the richly carpeted floors of my sitting room. "I had no choice with Luca because... well..."

"Because he's your favorite child and you wouldn't want to hurt your baby Luca, right?" I interjected, anger seeping into my voice.

"Senza senso," she dismissed my claim as nonsense.

"No, Mama, it's not nonsense. I've always been the one making sacrifices, compromising my happiness, my life, all for the sake of the dukedom. Why can't your favorite child make a sacrifice for once?" My grip tightened on the edge of the table, my frustration palpable.

She stared at me, seemingly taken aback by my outburst. I'd never raised my voice at her before, but I couldn't hold back anymore. I was determined to live my life on my terms, no matter the objections, not even from my own mother.

"I'm sorry, Mama, but the child Sophie is carrying is an Accardi. I won't abandon them. We're getting married and, with all due respect, if you wish to see your grandchild, you'd best make peace with this," I stated through gritted teeth.

"Mamma mia," she exclaimed, grabbing her purse. "You've clearly lost your way, my boy. We'll revisit this conversation tomorrow." She summoned her assistant, Arturo, for her jacket, and exited.

Once alone, I poured myself a glass of vodka, the burn of the liquor providing a temporary distraction. I downed four shots in quick succession, each one more fiery than the last.

Sophie was my choice. Our unborn child was my responsibility. I wouldn't let Mama dictate my life anymore. Afterall her obsession with always wanting to make every decision for us led to the untimely death of...

"Your Grace," Rosa's voice brought me back to reality. "She's in the shower now. She looks rather tired and weary, which isn't good for the unborn child," she informed me.