Chapter 14

GIO

𝖠fter completing the DNA test at the lab, Sophie and I found ourselves seated inside my Mercedes Benz, on our way home. As we traveled, I sensed her gaze fixed upon me, her eyes lingering in the periphery.

"I think you should take a picture; it'd last longer," I playfully remarked, mocking her in a lighthearted manner.

She turned to face me, her eyes ablaze with intensity. "Don't get your hopes up, Your Grace," she retorted, rolling her eyes mockingly.

Anger flickered in my eyes as her words stung. "Don't roll your eyes at me, Sophie, or else I might have to teach you a lesson you won't soon forget," I warned, the fury burning within me.

Casually crossing my leg and reclining in the seat, I attempted to maintain an air of nonchalance despite the heated exchange.

"You're too full of yourself, Gio. For a fleeting moment, I foolishly believed you would accept that the baby is yours, even without a paternity test. Yet, I suppose I was naive to think you could see beyond your perception of women as mere gold diggers," she exclaimed, her voice laced with a mixture of anger and disappointment. "What a pity, Gio. I genuinely pity whoever ends up with you."

The surge of anger coursed through me as her words struck a nerve.

"You're crazy," I boasted, "and unfortunately, whoever ends up with me will have everything in abundance."

"Yeah, I know, right?" she said, glaring at me. I noticed how she stifled a yawn, and upon closer observation, it was evident she was exhausted and famished. Her growing tummy indicated that each passing day was taking a toll.

I gazed at her, memories of last night flooding my mind.

I had returned from a meeting with Sebastian and Nicholas, my close business associates. It was late, and even Rosa had retired to bed. When I entered Sophie's room, I found her peacefully asleep, wrapped in a nightgown, radiating beauty, innocence, and a slight perspiration.

Swiftly, I assisted her in removing the night robe and adjusted her for a comfortable sleep. As I observed her slumber, I gently ran my fingers through her hair, marveling at her peaceful countenance. My attention then turned to her baby bump, which captivated my interest. Uncertain of what to think, I pondered the implications of our intimate encounter. Although I had taken her virginity, I remained unsure if she had been involved with someone else.

Sighing softly, I felt the urge to touch her baby bump, and so I did, delicately caressing it. Eventually, I tiptoed out of the room, so as not to disturb her slumber.

Emerging from my reverie, I retrieved my cell phone to send a text message to Alfonso.

"Alfonso, take us to a restaurant," I texted him. Despite my desire to go home, I knew Sophie was hungry, and I couldn't bear the thought of her being famished.

Wait, why was I concerned? I shouldn't be concerned.

All I wanted from Sophie was her body, period.

***

We were seated facing each other in an upscale restaurant, with my bodyguards stationed discreetly around us. As soon as we arrived, the paparazzi became excited, snapping pictures of us, and I noticed Sophie seemed uncomfortable. I signaled Alfonso to handle the paparazzi and put her at ease.

Upstairs, I noticed Sophie was struggling to decide what to order from the menu.

"Having trouble there?" I asked.
"No, I'm okay. It's just that I'm not familiar with these Italian names," she replied, sounding frustrated.

"What would you like to eat, Sophie?" I inquired, as I rubbed my jaw.
"Honestly, Gio, I want a classic beef burger with flame-grilled bacon and cheese, and also pasta fagioli soup," she said, a hint of teasing in her eyes.

"Here, you'll have to try the dishes they serve here, Strega," I said, my jaw clenched.

"Fine," she shrugged.

She ended up choosing Risotto, while I opted for a crispy shrimp.

"The test results will be out tomorrow, I assume," she said while chewing her food.
"Are you scared?" I blurted out.
"Not at all, unless you manipulate the results," she admitted, making me look directly at her.

"I may be anything, Strega, but I assure you that I am a person of principle. Honesty and integrity mean a lot to me, and I strive to uphold them in everything I do," I said, my anger evident. She looked away from me.

"Let's leave now," I told her.
"Sure, your Grace," she replied stiffly.

I nodded and then noticed my phone ringing. I walked a short distance to answer the call, which turned out to be work-related. We had caught the intruder who had caused trouble with our company's software a few months ago, and I needed to determine who had hired him, considering the second accomplice was now deceased.

After ending the call, I turned around and saw Sophie engaged in conversation with another guy. I watched as they laughed and exchanged words, and it caused a pang of unfamiliar pain in my heart.

"Let's go now," I said.
"So soon? I thought you were on the phone," she remarked.
"I'm finished here now, and who are you?" I snapped at the guy who was talking to Sophie.

"I'm... I'm Donald Maquette, the Senior Director of Communications at InvidaLab," he introduced himself, extending his hand nervously.

Clearing my throat, I approached him.
"Next time, don't come close to what belongs to me, or I will rip your head off. Now, go away," I whispered to him.

"Is that a threat?" Your grace," he asked, retracting his hand,
"Trust me, you don't want to know what a threat from Giovanni Accardi entails," I responded, my voice carrying a dangerous and low tone simultaneously.

I observed as he hastily scurried away.

I signaled one of my bodyguards to escort him away.

"Let's go... now," I said, walking away and leaving a surprised Sophie to collect herself before following me.

"Why were you mad at him?" she inquired, trailing behind me.

"Why? Because I don't share, Strega," I responded, my tone laced with possessiveness. "I would tear apart anyone who dares to come near you," I added, my voice seething with anger.

"Why? I mean, it's not like we have something going on," she muttered, clearly taken aback.

"I don't care. I simply do not share what belongs to me," I declared, my fury intensifying.

"I'm not an object or a possession, Gio. I will-"

"Enough! You are mine, and that is final," I growled, cutting her off abruptly.

Why did I feel this way? Was I jealous? No, I doubted it. I had never been jealous of women I had dealt with before. Perhaps it was the effect of the champagne I had earlier.