Chapter 26

Gio

Panic! Guilt! Fear! Regret!

These were the feelings hitting me hard as I watched the terrible scene on the screen. Sophie, was on her home's cold floor, twisted in pain. I had  told my guards to put in the CCTV cameras when she was out shopping a few days ago. Now, I was watching the terrible scene on my phone that was connected to the cctv.

The last time I felt this scared was when I had seen my sister's bloody, mangled body in that car wreck that had  taken her life, an accident  that was ruled as a suicide. I had failed as a big brother to her, I could have saved her if i was quick to notice she had been depressed after being betrayed by her boyfriend.. I should have been with her those times.. but I couldn't read the signs, instead I was working my butt off at work. But now as I stared at my phone screen, I could still feel the pain and fear that had overwhelmed me that rainy night. A feeling that rushed back the moment I watched Sophie writhing in pain on the floor.
"Felix, guida, fai presto, cazzo" (Felix, drive.. fucking hurry). I said in between shaky breaths as I sprinted past my bodyguards to the parking lot of the car.

My palms were  sweaty and thick sweat had formed a bead on my back.

I tried to steady my hands as I took hold of the steering wheel, not bothering to wait for my guards as I drove to her house, I had lodged very close to her so it was a five mins drive but I could hear my heart thudding against my chest

As I bursted into her tiny house, my gaze fell on Sophie, my Sophie, writhing in pain on the floor with tears streaming down her face and her hands clutched on her swollen tummy, I suddenly understood that I had not protected Sophie like I should have. It felt like a punch in the stomach. I wasn't a scared man anymore. I was supposed to be a man who could keep her safe. But I had failed, just like I failed Anna.

I rushed towards her like a mad man. "Dio mio, Sophie,"I  murmured, gathering her into his arms. As I made for the door.
My bodyguards were immediately right behind me, filling the tiny room.
""I promise you'll be fine, Sophie. Dio, per favore, non lasciarmi perdere," I whispered to her as I saw her eyes Half closing, her face turning pale.

"Please God, don't let me lose her," I muttered under my breath.. tears stinging my eyes

Reaching the car, I lay her down and got in beside her as Alfonso took over the steering wheel.
"The nearest hospital.. please fast" I yelled as I caressed her face.

What was I going to do if I lost my Sophie and my baby, how would I live without them.

She had gone limp. But her pulse was still strong.

Within minutes, we had reached the hospital. I watched as Sophie was wheeled inside and I was told to wait outside. I wanted to be inside there so bad, with Sophie and our child.

I sat on the floor of the hospital, unable to breathe or think properly. My head was pounding terribly.

"Giovanni, it's okay.. take a deep breath, they'll be fine" Alfonso's voice rang in my ears as I raised my head up to find him crouched beside me.
We were the only ones in the waiting lounge of the hospital. It was a tiny hospital. I guess that's why there weren't many people.
"You always referred to me as your highness, even though I told you to refrain from calling me that, what changed?" I asked him as I turned my head away.
"Because, now you need a human by your side. Not a bodyguard" he replied as he pulled me into a hug and I burst out sobs.
"It's my fault, I caused it.. I couldn't save Anna, and now it's Sophie and my child" I said in between sobs as pain racked me up.
"Take it easy, now is not the time for regrets, you've got to be strong for Sophie and your child" he reassured me.
The sound of a door opening jolted us back to reality as I turned to look as the middle aged man who was the doctor coming towards us.
"Congratulations Sir, it's a boy and he's healthy" he said as he stretched his hands to me
Ignoring it I asked the one thing that had been on my mind "and the mother ?? What about the mother? Is she okay ?"
"Well, she slipped into a coma after birthing the child, we are hoping she wakes up soon. We have tried everything. Now it's up to God and her fighting spirit" he announced and my heart broke into shreds
"What" I asked, unable to gather myself
"Do you want to see the baby?"
"No, where is my woman, I want to see her now.. I demand to see her now" I asked the doctor who looked like he was going to piss his pants any moment from now.

Bloody damned Americans

"Uhm... ye..sss please this way" he announced as he led the way and I strutted behind him, my mind filled with anxiety.

Please Sophie, stay

Hello Readers, I truly appreciate your patience and I do not take it for granted.
There's been so much happening lately and it kinda slowed me down in updating this novel but I'm back now and I promise to release new chapters every week.

Thank you for your lovely comments...and thanks for reading Sophie & the Duke.

I'm on instagram as ⬇️

I would appreciate a follow

I would appreciate a follow.. thank you all❤️❤️❤️