Day 4: Look Of Love

AU: "Cinderella"

Varian is ecstatic to learn of the ball being thrown for the entire kingdom! He digs through his chest of belongings, and discovers his late mother's old dress that he has held onto for all these years.

"I can use the material from her dress to make myself a suit!" He thinks excitedly. "And you can help," he says to his raccoon friend, Ruddiger, who stops in every day to give him company.

Ruddiger nods, and rounds up his animal friends. Before long an owl, a chameleon, and a strangely idiotic raven are in Varian's dreary attic bedroom helping him design a suit for the ball.

"I can't believe I'm going to the ball!" Varian says excitedly. "What if... What if I get to meet the princess?!"

"What makes you think you're going to the ball?" Varian's evil stepbrother, Andrew, says with a sneer as he enters the room. "The ball is only for the elite of the kingdom! You're nothing but a cinder sweep. Cinder-Varian!"

Varian shakes his head. "No, you're wrong. The ball is for everyone in the kingdom. The princess said so, herself!"

"You're so naive," Andrew says. "You are not going to the ball, and that's final!"

Noticing the suit Varian and his animal friends are making, Andrew marches over to it and begins tearing it up.

"No! Please, don't!" Varian cries with tears in his eyes. But there isn't anything he can do to stop his stepbrother.

"Oops! Now you don't have anything to wear," Andrew chuckles wickedly. "Whatever will you do?" Laughing wickedly, he leaves Varian sobbing, cradling his destroyed suit in his hands.

"Please don't cry," an unexpected voice says, causing Varian to jump in surprise. "I can help you!"

Varian spins around to see a woman with long, blonde hair standing in the corner of the room. She is wearing a cloak, and has a wand in her hand.

"W-Who are you?" Varian asks. "And...Is that a magic wand in your hand?"

"It sure is!" The woman says. "I'm your Fairy Godmother! You can call me Rapunzel." She curtsies dramatically.

"Fairy Godmother?" Varian repeats in disbelief.

"Yep! And I can't stand to see someone as sweet and innocent as you cry," Rapunzel says, wiping away an empathetic tear. "So I've decided to help you!"

"Help me? How?" Varian asks.

By getting you to the ball, of course!" Rapunzel waves her wand around him. In a flash of bright colors and sparkles, Varian is suddenly wearing a glistening pantsuit better than he could've ever dreamed of making for himself!

"I... I can't believe it!" Varian says in amazement.

"It is some of my best work," Rapunzel says proudly. "Now, to get you a ride to the ball!"

Rapunzel leads Varian outside. She waves her wand again, and an apple that fell to the ground transforms into a shiny, red carriage! With a few more waves of her wand, the owl and the raven become two beautifully-colored horses, while Ruddiger is turned into a masked footman.

"Et voilà !" Rapunzel beams.

Overcome with gratitude, Varian gives Rapunzel a tight squeeze. "Thank you so much! You have no idea what this means to me."

"It's my pleasure," Rapunzel tells him, returning the embrace. "Now, go have fun, Varian! And say hello to the princess for me. But be warned: The magic will only last until midnight."