Day 24: Comfort

AU: "Elemental"

(SPOILER ALERT)

     Cassandra Lumen was born and raised here in Element City. She has been preparing to take over her father's shop one day, when he retires. This shop is his entire life, and she wants his legacy to continue. He is growing older, and won't be able to run the shop for much longer. So the time for him to pass the torch on to her is fast approaching.

But then a surprise turn of events causes Cassandra to meet Varian Ripple. He is kind, sensitive, and can make connections with people so easily. Cassandra has a bad temper, and struggles to make a connection with just one customer at the shop, so she is instantly drawn to these qualities in Varian. And after spending some time with him, she can tell that he is attracted to her, too.

There's a huge problem, though... Cassandra is fire, and Varian is water. Elements can't mix. The two of them cannot even touch! Any time they get too close, Cassandra's heat causes Varian's water to boil.

However, they cannot deny the feelings they have for each other. With each day they spend together, these feelings only grow. Before long, the two opposite elements have fallen in love.

How could Fire and Water ever be together?

In a moment of inspiration, Varian suggests that they try to touch. At first, Cassandra adamantly refuses. She could evaporate him, or he could extinguish her! But he tells her that they can start small.

Extending his hand, Cassandra cautiously hovers her hand above his. As usual, his water begins to bubble and she jerks back in fear. But she tries again, and this time... She is able to place her hand in his. Neither of them are hurt. Instead, the impossible happens: The elements balance each other out. They change each other's chemistry! They are able to lace their fingers together, to dance, to embrace... It is the most amazing feeling Cassandra has ever experienced.

How did they get so lucky?