Day 14: True Love

AU: "Beauty and the Beast"

Cassandra Belle Gothel has never fit in. She has lived in the same small village her entire life, and experiences the same events as everyone else every day as if they all are stuck in some sort of strange time loop.

But while she may have grown up here, she is nothing like the other girls who live here. Where they tend to be obsessed with girly things like frilly dresses and fancy tea parties, Cassandra has always enjoyed things like sword fighting and knife-throwing. She may be the most beautiful girl in the village, but she knows everyone finds her to be strange and peculiar.

Everyone, except for Andrew... the conceited, egotistical jerk who loves himself more than anyone, and for reasons she cannot fathom has set his sights on her.

And there is another difference... While everyone in this town seems to be perfectly content with life here, Cassandra isn't. She wants adventure out in the great, wide somewhere, more than she could ever tell. But it doesn't seem likely that she'll ever be able to achieve this dream.

That is, until the day her father disappears. She has been caring for him the past couple of years, but when he doesn't return home one night she grows concerned. She follows his trail of footprints into the dark, creepy forest, and eventually arrives at a castle.

A castle? In the middle of the forest? Since when?! She's never seen it before. Her father must have went inside!

Entering the castle, Cassandra is surprised to find it hauntingly empty. She explores the hallways, calling out for her father and looking for any signs of life. She feels as if she is being watched, and on occasion she believes she may hear voices whispering in the shadows. But she doesn't see anybody around.

But finally, she discovers the dungeon. And her father is behind the bars! She attempts to release him, but a horrifying beast stops her! He tells her that her father was trespassing, and is now his prisoner.

Seeing no other options, Cassandra strikes up a deal with the beast: Let her father go, and keep her here instead. The beast considers it, and Cassandra would almost believe that he seems touched by her selfless act to free her father. He agrees to the deal, and sends her father away.

During her time as the beast's prisoner, Cassandra discovers that the castle is enchanted. The objects around the rooms are alive! And as she makes friends with them, especially Rapunzel the teapot, Eugene the candelabra, and Lance the clock, she learns that they all used to be people —even the beast— until the curse was cast upon them. The beast used to be a handsome prince, and they his subjects, but the curse turned him into a hideous creature. The curse can only be broken if the prince can find love before his twenty-first birthday. But that day is soon to arrive, and who could ever learn to love a beast?

Though she is considered a prisoner, the beast begins showing kindness to Cassandra in small ways. He allows her to stay in her own bedroom, instead of the dungeon. He lets her have free access to the kitchen whenever she pleases. And after realizing how true her word is, that she will stick to the promise she made, he shows that he trusts her by giving her free pass to the armory. She seems to love perfecting her skills with all the sharp weapons, and this is what she spends most of her free time doing.

One day, after Rapunzel the teapot goads him into doing so, the nervous beast asks Cassandra to a special dinner. He has the duster maids lay out a gorgeous dress for her, and to his delight she accepts his invitation. The two of them share a meal, and even have a dance on the shining ballroom floor. As they twirl and sway, their hearts beat faster within their chests.

Could this be happening? Could a beauty and a beast truly be falling in love?

The beast can no longer hold Cassandra here in good conscience. He tells her that he is releasing her, and she will never have to be his prisoner again. Her heart is moved by his kindness, and she eagerly prepares to leave. She tells him that she is only going to check on her father, but that she will return to visit.