They Comfort You After a Breakup

🌿 He warned you this would happen, that you'd put all your faith in a bad man and get your heart broken. He never liked your boyfriend, he likes to think he has an instinct for sniffing out useless bloody not to be trusted men and this one had set all his alarm bells ringing...

🌿 So when you come to him in floods of tears telling him you don't know what to do, your hearts been broken and your lifes over, it will take a lot for him to not say "i told you so"

🌿 But, he won't say it. Instead he'll see the tears in your eyes, open his arms for you and pull you into a hug. "Come here girl, come tell your Tom what the no good bastards done this time eh..." you'd probably sniffle and try to defend the boy. "He's not a no good bastard..." "Aye love, thats why you're crying ain't it, cause he's such a lovely lad eh?"

🌿 Tommy knows how to handle women, at least he knows how to handle you and he knows that although his brain had jumped straight to teaching this lad a lesson, all you really need right now is a hug and a kiss on the forehead.

🌿Him giving you a tight squeeze and then turning away, to the bar, "whiskey or gin?"

🌿 "So tell me what happened then and don't try to defend him eh I know what you're like angel..." "I don't.." you'd start to argue but he'd only have to give you one look and you'd know you weren't going to get away with lying. You've always let this lad get away with murder.

🌿 So you sigh and dry your eyes and you take a long drink, then you tell him what happened, about how the lad said you weren't worth the trouble that came with knowing you... Basically he'd caught wind that you had Peaky Blinders for friends and he was too much of a coward to stick around and show up for you.

🌿 Of course hearing this, that the lad broke up with you because he was scared of Tommy and the boys makes Tommy more pissed off. "Fuckin coward," he shakes his head, "never deserved you angel, right from the start, he never deserved you..."

🌿 You'd probably shake your head, all forlorn, trying to think of a way to defend him but you know you can't. So you just sit and drink the drinks he pours for you and listen to his little speech.

🌿 "You know I know I never looked too kindly on him, didn't exactly show him a warm welcome," he says, "and I'm sorry about that angel..." you know he's lying but you let him keep going because now you see he was right all along. The lad did let you down, just like he said. "But if I didn't trust him it was only because I think you deserve the world and I could see he would never be able to give it to you..."

🌿And he's telling you the truth, just not the whole truth. If he was being completely honest he'd have finished his sentence, that he could give you the world, that he wants to be the one who does. That no other man will be good enough for you in his eyes, because you belong with him. He's the only person he trusts to look after you.

🌿 But he knows you need time after your break up, so he doesn't say anything. He's patient. He lets you get drunk on whiskey and your sorrows with him, the two of you drinking together all evening. He likes to wallow and so he lets you do that too. There'll be time for smiling and cheering you up tomorrow.

🌿 Lets you drunk cry to him and dries your eyes with his hanky, catches your tears and wipes them away with his thumbs. Tell you to let it all out and encourages you to cry. He thinks its good for women to be emotional.

🌿 He'll sit with you all night, holding your head to his chest when you cry, telling you again and again that you deserve better, that you deserve the world. And when you ask why you weren't good enough he'll almost get cross.

🌿 "No no no, no y/n we're not doing that... Nothing wrong with you angel, you're perfect, sent straight down to earth from heaven you were, only thing that makes me believe in a heaven at all... You're a star too good for the likes of him and he knew it, deep down he knew he could never be what you deserved, knew he'd never be good enough for you, and instead of stepping up and fighting for you, he chose cowardice... Nothing wrong with you at all my girl, he just wasn't man enough, too much of a coward to fight for you..."