12

Wow, I'm good at taking a month to update, huh? This new chapter isn't as long as I'd like it to be, but I'm getting tired and wanted to give you guys at least something. I will tell you though, this chapter makes the end of Isaac's dad's trial. I did a crap ton of research just for these chapters and I hope they're satisfactory to you all. I've never been to court, much less for child abuse, so I just kinda winged it. I hope you all enjoy, and don't be afraid to comment! Comments are what keep me going, honestly. Until next time.

(3rd P.O.V.)

The next person finding themself in the witness stand is Sheriff Stilinski himself.

"Tell me, Sheriff Stilinski, how you first met Derek and Lyrica Hale." Conner starts, calmly gesturing with a pen.

"Derek, I have known most of his life." The sheriff begins, locking eyes with the werewolf across the room. "The Hale family was well known around town, as was Derek. In his teenage years, before the accident, he was a bit of a troublemaker, and I was often the one to bust him."

"And when you say 'troublemaker', what do you mean by that?"

"He was a kid. He and his friends would spend time in closed parks or be generally noisy. Normal things for teenagers to do."

"And how did you meet Lyrica?"

"She and Derek had come into the station to report a hit and run one night."

"And the sheriff personally handled a car accident case?"

"No. I was filing paperwork when I got word that a teenager had been picked up by one of my deputies, looking as though he was running from home. I left my office to assess the situation and found Mrs. Hale sitting next to and comforting the teen."

"And who was that teen?"

"It was Isaac Lahey."

"And did you confirm or deny whether or not Mr. Lahey was running from home?"

"No, but we did open the case against his father that night. I truly believe Mrs. Hale gave Isaac the confidence to finally stand up for himself."

"So the Hales and Mr. Lahey had not planned for this to happen?" Conner ponders.

"No. It was simply the right place at the right time. And I truly believe this young man is alive and happy because of them."

After another 3 hours of questioning and banter between the court members, a recess is called and the jury is sent to discuss the verdict.

Out in the hall outside the courtroom, the Hales, Lucas Conner, Isaac, and the sheriff stand together whilst others do their own thing.

"How are we looking, Conner?" Stilinski asks, arms crossed over his neatly pressed uniform shirt.

"I don't see how you are a part of this 'we', Sheriff." Lyrica says before Conner can answer the question.

Feeling her tension, Isaac rests his head on her shoulder and Derek gently rubs her back, both males wanting to calm her nerves despite their own.

"Lyrica, you know I just want the best for you-"

"No." Lyrica cuts him off, holding up a hand before lowering it with a sigh. "We have been over this. You have no right to intrude on my family's affairs or my life. You gave that right up 12 years ago."

Before anyone can reply, Isaac's stomach loudly grumbles, the teenager having been unable to eat much before leaving.

"How about you guys go get a snack and some coffee?" Derek quickly suggests, pulling his wallet out of his back pocket.