Sisters in Spain🇪🇸

Veronica's Point of View

I spent the entire flight to Spain listening to Tess rave about how beautiful Europe is, how bluer the sky seemed to be, how greener the grasses must be, and how much more handsome the men were. I didn't care much for what she was saying but I was happy that we got to cross this off our bucket list after so many years.

When Patrizio had learned about our plan to travel from one of his men, he was so pissed at me for not telling him. He was even more pissed that I wanted to travel by economy class on a public flight. We argued about it, and with me being a hothead, he had no choice but to swallow his massive ego and let me do what I wanted. But how Tess and I got upgraded to First class—will forever be a mystery to me; a mystery that only Patrizio and his men know.

So, there I was, flying First class with Tess, and loving every minute of it. Despite having a couple of stitches in her forehead and chin, she didn't let that ruin her mood. It's crazy how the little girl I left behind years ago turned out to be the strongest woman I know. though it saddens me that she is in so much pain, I am proud of her for choosing to live her life.

As soon as the flight attendant announced that we had landed in Madrid, Tessy hit me on the shoulder... "Wake up, Niks, we're here! We're here!"

I groaned. "My ears work just fine, Tess". I pulled off my blanket and picked up Bella who was fast asleep.

***

We stepped out of the plane in grand style and with two big luggage behind us. Trust Tessy to take it upon herself to show the people of Spain that we Americans got style.

The familiar atmosphere welcomed me back to Madrid. A breeze of seduction whistled through the air, reminding me of the sensual memories attached to this beautiful country. From the first day I came here with Geraldo—to the day I was flown out by Patrizio, it seemed my life in Spain had been controlled by men. But not anymore.

This time, I was here for me and my sister. And even though Patrizio is still a huge part of my life, I didn't need his approval to come here. For once in my life, I chose my own path and I stood by it. He may want the best for me according to his terms, but I get to decide what is best for me, not him.

As we walked out of the 'arrivals' wing, we were met with a long line of people awaiting the newly arrived passengers. Among these people was a guy in his thirties holding up a white paper, and written on the paper were the names: 'Veronica and Theresa Hayes'. Tess and I exchanged glances and walked up to him.

He had a kind smile dancing around his green eyes as he bowed his head. "Señoras, welcome to Spain, I am Enrico, please allow me to take your bags".

We gave way for him so he could grab our luggage. He carried them effortlessly towards the parked car while we followed him.

Tess nudged me in the gut which caused me to wince. "Oh, sorry." She rubbed my baby bump in an attempt to ease my pain.

"I'm fine. What were you gonna tell me?"

She lowered her voice. "He's got a great ass, doesn't he?"

I was taken aback by her bold comment. "What the-"

She rolled her eyes. "Oh come on, don't act like you can't see it. You're pregnant, not blind."

I chuckled. "No man can come close to Patrizio in my eyes."

She shrugged. "Given that my first and only love was Jack, the bar is still very low for me. If Enrico says one more word in his sexy accent, I might just fall for him completely."

"I'm pretty sure he can hear you." I laughed. "Just keep your foolishness out of the kid's ears."

"I'll try."

Enrico stopped in front of a black limo. Tess and I were lost for words as we feasted our eyes on the sleek bodywork, with silver touches lining the rims and the car's edges.

Enrico bowed again. "Courtesy of Jefe Patrizio." He smiled politely as he placed our luggage into the trunk. Then he held the back door open for us. The kids went in first, followed by me. Tess took her sweet time ogling Enrico in the most unsubtle way. Poor guy, he must have felt uncomfortable. She finally joined us in the limo while Enrico walked over to the driver's side and started the engine. The drive was as smooth as silk, one would hardly feel as though we were in motion.

Bella fell asleep on my lap, while Tessy's kids, Tory and Donnie played in their seats. Moments after fighting over candy, they both fell asleep in each other's arms.

I sighed as I watched them. "Perks of having a sibling, they are hella annoying but we can't live without them."

Tess giggled beside me. "So, you're saying I'm annoying"

"No, I'm saying you're an angel."

"You better know it."  She replied, ignoring my sarcasm. Then, she placed her head on my shoulder and we stayed in silence.

I took the time to observe the bubbling streets of Madrid, still very much the same except for a few renovations. We drove past my old apartment building and I couldn't help but remember the past... I never got the chance to return to my apartment after I made a deal with Patrizio. I hope at least someone kept my things in storage. I wonder if Natalia still lives in Spain with her husband. I should have gotten in touch with her a long time ago, but I have been nothing but a walking bag of excuses lately.

In a split second, the car came to a halt and a gunshot sound echoed through the air. Tessy woke up to the chaos and so did the kids. The windshield had a bullet hole right opposite the driver's seat. My heart dropped to my stomach when I saw Enrico's face pressed against the steering wheel and blood gushing out of his head. Tess started panicking and the kids burst into tears.

__Standing in the middle of the road were seven tall men in black suits, each armed with black pistols.

I swallowed the lump in my throat as one of them made his way down to our limo. In his hand was a smoking gun and on his face was zero hint of remorse. He did seem a little familiar, but I couldn't remember where we met.

He pulled the limo door open and looked at me... "Get out of the car, NOW!"

Author's Note:
Dear Reader, Thank You for being so patient with me. I thought I was doing alright after my mom's burial, but I felt worse than I ever did. My writer's block is finally gone, and I can now give you the best of myself.