40. Status quo II

The entire room was packed with journalists and people close to the girl who was the subject of discussion.

- I... I know I haven't been the best mother in the world... that there were things I could have done better, but... I... - The woman's voice faltered, she seemed to have lost her breath. I never imagined something like this would happen...

...

- I don't understand Olga! I don't understand why she complains like this! Yes, we are going through difficult times. I went through them myself when I was a child, but that forged me. Besides the fact that the girl has had a comfortable life, I don't understand why now she comes up with this stupidity!

...

- Poor of my baby sister, I didn't know she felt so bad, I mean, we always had a complicated relationship, but if she had wanted to, I... I know that the family should be together... I can't imagine us apart ... Baby sister, don't go! - The blonde broke down in tears, interrupting her testimony.

- Cheer up Olga! I'm with you. - Jamie O supported from the trial hearing.

- Silence! This is a serious trial. Now it's up to Mrs. Viksten to testify. Miss Pataki, stand down.

- Yes, Madam Judge.

A policeman escorted the older of the Pataki sisters to her seat, and the grandmother sat down, ready to talk.

- Members of the jury, you have seen the evidence, this family is homeless, as you can see in these photographs, they live in the store. In addition, according to these receipts that I have here, Robert's business does not provide enough for his family, sometimes they do not even have food on the table, Miriam had to work, a situation that has further broken their terrible marriage.

Miriam felt a chill, she knew that her mother was aware of her slip, she was afraid that she would show it to the audience, but instead of showing that proof, one of the many discussions with Bob was shown.

- Helga is a brilliant girl, she deserves to have the opportunity that every boy her age should have. A quiet home, with resources and attention from its caregivers.

- Objection! - Shouted Big Bob. - This woman is not interested in the girl! All she wants is revenge on me. She never liked me, she always saw me as less in her family. She wants to take revenge on me by sinking me and taking away my reputation.

- Do you see it now, your honor? The only thing this man cares about is his reputation. He doesn't know that Helga is 12 years old, that she is extremely intelligent, allergic to strawberries, that she adores ballet and writes poetry, has friends who adore her, and that she is a beautiful, sweet and sensitive girl who all she longs for is some attention and appreciation...And I want, I can and I will give her all that... if she stays by my side.

- Thank you Mrs. Viksten, you can have a seat. We have already heard the family, the prosecutor and the defense attorney, as well as some neighbors who have testified on Viksten's behalf. But I would like to hear from the minor, if she agrees.

- Thank you, Your Honor. - Helga stepped forward and cleared her throat before speaking. Her legs trembled. - I... I love my parents and even my sister... I know it doesn't seem like it, and maybe I shouldn't... but I do. I recognize Bob's effort to recover his business, Miriam's work at the hospital and how she has been improving and that Olga has given me more space... But I'm tired, tired of being the last thing in her worries, of being alone all the time and depending solely on me, criminy, even sometimes, it's me who has to take care of all of them... Gerry has known me for a few months and yet she knows me much better than any of them and has shown me her love and loyalty... I... want to have a normal life... like the others, that's all...